Art: JPacer's Paintin's

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

JPacer's Paintin's

These are just some of the small studies I've been working on lately. Some landscapes from Rome and Ireland in oils. I've had this little tube of Blockx Lapis Lazuli for a long time and I finally busted it out for that Roman sky. It seemed as good a time as any to finally use it. (I'm always saving my expensive art materials for "the right time" since I don't want to waste them. But, I've been getting better about just making myself use them, since I could get hit by a bus or something tomorrow.)

Also, a little Acrylic figure sketch. The last is a self portrait in oils I just started.

Name:  stjohnspoint1-2.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  450.4 KB

Name:  killybegs1-2.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  442.3 KB

Name:  roman_forum_1-2.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  501.3 KB

Name:  3_figures1-2.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  376.5 KB

Name:  self-portrait1_2_ava3.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  532.8 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jpacer; February 19th, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,971 Times in 2,405 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well done, good sense of light, the third fourth and fifth are the strongest. The first two could have cleaner color choices and not so much scumbled color. Try putting the colors into color families and think of everything as a shape. Then decide how that shapes edge relates to the shapes around it- soft, medium or hard edges.make the shapes in a few brushstrokes as possible.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 761 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like that second painting a good deal - there is an intensity about it that is all the more potent because of the restrained means.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to both dpaint and Chris Bennett for the comments and kind words.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I don't really like replying to these threads unless I have some new art to post. And it takes me forever to get decent pictures apparently. I have access to two digital cameras (Nikon Coolpix and a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5) and no matter what I do, the pictures usually end up either having lots of noise or are slightly blurry in spots. I've learned to proper way to shoot artwork. I light them properly, use a tripod and timer, etc., but they still always end up unacceptable. The only way I've been able to get halfway decent pics is to use daylight, which is rare at this time of year.

dpaint: Thanks for the advice. Edges and shape design are definitely things I need to pay more attention to. They're some of the many things I still need to consciously remind myself to deal with. Also, regarding color, the funny thing is that I usually do quite a bit of pre-mixing color strings and color harmonies before I paint. Somehow it still always gets muddled by the time it gets to the canvas.

Anyway, so I was finally able to get an ok pic of another recent small study. I've been mainly working smaller lately because money's tight and I don't want to waste a larger surface unless I'm sure I really like the image. This new piece is a case in point. This seemed like a good idea (in a darkly humorous way) in my head, but I don't know if I like how it actually came out. My intention was to make something both melancholic and humorous at the same time. Maybe that was a silly idea to begin with?
    One thing I'm not sure of is whether or not I like how the pill bottles have skewed perspectives. Part of me likes how it contrasts with the otherwise formal Mondrian-esque design. Another part of me doesn't. But, in general, I don't think I achieved any of my intentions with this. So, any comments and critiques would be great.

Name:  self_with_pills2-3.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  439.3 KB

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Self Portrait studies...

Name:  fallingsky1-2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  222.8 KB

Name:  self-portrait1-2.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  459.9 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the "Voyeur" Triptych I'd been working on on and off for awhile. I believe I posted WIPs of it many moons ago. Each panel is 30 in x 40 in. I'm done with it, even though I never finished it to my satisfaction. It's supposed to be part of a series, but I'm not sure when I'll get to the rest of it. Too many things I want to do. It's currently in "The Art of the State" Exhibition at The State Museum in Harrisburg, PA until the end of September. The far right frame was also picked to be in the latest issue of CYMK (#50).

Also a little study of the area around Rossnowlagh Beach in Ireland. I'm kinda liking how landscape can be used as a basis for flat abstraction right now.

Name:  Voyeur_Triptych_Final_web3.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  513.6 KB

Name:  Rossnowlaugh1-3.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  438.7 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work the "Voyeur" is really cool and i like your selfpotraits the pill bottles look a little too big dough.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Random_Hobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got in here.

Those are some strong SP's John.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I was attempting to paint at the beach last week. My first attempts were unsuccessful as I went out in the middle of the day. It was crowded and hot and my one painting fell face first in the sand. So, the following day I decided to go out really early and start while it was still cool and before the crowds showed up. Here's what I was able to do.

Funny story regarding the first one. So, this beach patrol guy comes rolling up behind me on an ATV and just says, "how much?" I sold the painting right then and there (which is why I can't really get a better photo). Turns out he had proposed to his wife on those rocks. All in all it was a pretty good vacation....

Name:  beach1-2.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  446.4 KB

Name:  beach2-2.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  427.3 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another Irish landscape I was working on. Also, I've posted a little bit o' process by including the underpainting. It was going ok for a while, but it's kinda become a mess. I shoulda quit while I was ahead.

The figure at the beach was a little experiment. I'd been curious about the Rublev paints by Natural Pigments for awhile and finally bought some. This was my first painting with just those paints. It was very interesting. I can't decide if I like the paints or not. They're so different to work with that it's fun and frustrating at the same time. Delicious smell though...

Name:  ireland1-2.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  350.9 KB

Name:  underpainting_ireland1-2.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  300.9 KB

Name:  beach-man-1-2.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  425.8 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good! I like the warm ground showing through in your previous post, and the ambiguous shadows in the last figure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Larriva Art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny story regarding the first one. So, this beach patrol guy comes rolling up behind me on an ATV and just says, "how much?" I sold the painting right then and there (which is why I can't really get a better photo). Turns out he had proposed to his wife on those rocks. All in all it was a pretty good vacation....
    Amazing

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the "Voyeur" Triptych. Reminds me of Edward Hopper's works, the palpable presence of the voyeur.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to arthurdent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, guys! Have't updated in awhile...

Here's a couple little quick still lives I've been working on recently...

Name:  In_The_Morning.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  297.6 KB

Name:  Shadow.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  332.4 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New WIP...

Name:  Pacer_John_02_MFA.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  408.1 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really would like to go back to Rome someday...

Name:  Roma1-2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  428.9 KB

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad!
    And the reflections on the car are - wow!

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, bjoern3000!

The perspective was fine in the drawing, but got a little wonky when I went in with the paint. I need to go back in and fix that. I also made the mistake of forgetting to scrape back a bit while painting and now have too many hard edges. Unfortunately, it's dry now so if I want to soften things I have to scrape down and basically repaint the whole thing.

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 1