New to CA, critique please

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

New to CA, critique please

Hi, I just joined ConceptArt.org. I would like to ask for tips and advice as well as critics for my artwork so that I know my mistakes.

I pretty much stink at coloring and shading.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Hi and welcome!

I'm going to tell you now what almost every artist here will say.

It's time to begin again, from scratch. You already have a headstart to a lot of people for two reasons.

1) You can draw.

2) You are a member of these forums.

Now, look up the Loomis art books, study anatomy, draw everything you see as much as you can when you can. Inbetween these doodle and draw for fun and draw what makes you happy, but you will find as you draw from real life it will be much easier to put to paper what you see in your head.

Open up a sketchbook thread so that we can see your progress. Forget about this image for now, it's going to get you nowhere. I'd much rather focus on your desire to become a serious artist.

If you would still like me to give you my opinion on what's wrong with this piece let me know. But there's a lot wrong with it that can be fixed by just reading the free Loomis art books and browsing through the sketchbooks of your peers on this site.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I would like to know your opinion about this artwork.

Thanks
    Fair enough!

Your piece has no true functional anatomy. The body is unbalanced, flat and unrealistically proportioned. I'm assuming it was an artistic choice that she (or he, it is manga after all) only has 3 fingers on her hand? Her arm is held out an a confusing angle. No true thrust with any power can be delivered with that spear at such an angle. The entire spear appears to be burning but has no effect or relation to the wielder.

The expression is unreadable due to the ill defined face, the coat is billowing out even though her hair is static?

Your linework is shaky and lacks confidence, your colouring is not defined by any light source and is being overwhelmed by the harsh white background.

The subject matter has no character or originality.

I'm not trying to be harsh, far from it. I'm assuming that you really do want to improve. These are the kinds of crits you can expect here, they are the kinds of crits I get and they have helped me immensely!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the critic! Now I really know what to fix up on my drawings.

Thanks a lot, I'll try to improve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Well, if you really want an opinion on the artwork, I can provide that.

There's no construction to speak of, to start with, which means that the proportions end up way out of whack, and there's no sense of depth at all. Arms, legs and torsos are just tubes, with no particular anatomy knowledge on display, and the head is likewise undifferentiated into cranium and jaw. I do see some effort to apply perspective to the symbols you've drawn in place of eyes, so well done there, but it's applied nowhere else on the body.

So with that out of the way, if you're interested in getting better (and you will get better) is to start studying, practicing and thinking about what you draw. There are a lot of resources out there to help you, and if you look around this forum a bit you'll see a lot of good recommendations. Try taking a look at some of the advice at this link, and I'd also recommend following this blog and this one.

Above all, stop trying to work in a particular style. That's something that'll develop naturally in time based on your interests and your practice. It's not something you start out with, or should be concerning yourself with this early in the game. Before you've learned all the basics, it's just imitating a style rather than having your own, and I'm sure you don't want that.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Starduzt.Reverie View Post
    Thanks for the critic! Now I really know what to fix up on my drawings.

Thanks a lot, I'll try to improve.

You handled that well! With that attitude you would fit in here. I hope you consider opening that sketchbook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    Well, if you really want an opinion on the artwork, I can provide that.

There's no construction to speak of, to start with, which means that the proportions end up way out of whack, and there's no sense of depth at all. Arms, legs and torsos are just tubes, with no particular anatomy knowledge on display, and the head is likewise undifferentiated into cranium and jaw. I do see some effort to apply perspective to the symbols you've drawn in place of eyes, so well done there, but it's applied nowhere else on the body.

So with that out of the way, if you're interested in getting better (and you will get better) is to start studying, practicing and thinking about what you draw. There are a lot of resources out there to help you, and if you look around this forum a bit you'll see a lot of good recommendations. Try taking a look at some of the advice at this link, and I'd also recommend following this blog and this one.

Above all, stop trying to work in a particular style. That's something that'll develop naturally in time based on your interests and your practice. It's not something you start out with, or should be concerning yourself with this early in the game. Before you've learned all the basics, it's just imitating a style rather than having your own, and I'm sure you don't want that.
    Thanks for the critic and the links, I'll try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    You handled that well! With that attitude you would fit in here. I hope you consider opening that sketchbook.
    I will try it out, thanks.

Thanks
    As much as it sucks, the best way to have a great cartoon style is to learn how to draw realistically first. Then, you can start simplifying and creating a distinctive way of making art.

Before you go digital, I would suggest that you get really comfortable with traditional media - pencil is a good way to start. I find that it's just easier to learn drawing when you've got your hand on the page and there's no go-between with the computer.

Other than that, everybody else pretty much has you covered. Hope I was helpful.

A Plum Sketchbook Updated: Jan 19th

(typically contains more than just plums)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RufousPlumage View Post
    As much as it sucks, the best way to have a great cartoon style is to learn how to draw realistically first. Then, you can start simplifying and creating a distinctive way of making art.

Before you go digital, I would suggest that you get really comfortable with traditional media - pencil is a good way to start. I find that it's just easier to learn drawing when you've got your hand on the page and there's no go-between with the computer.

Other than that, everybody else pretty much has you covered. Hope I was helpful.
    Thanks for the advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.