Buying a new tablet. Which non-Wacom one would you recommend?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question Buying a new tablet. Which non-Wacom one would you recommend?

So my Aiptek Slim stopped working, after about 3 years of faithful service. Never saw any limitations or problems from this tablet, and would like something of the same size (about A4 paper size, for the active area).

Any ideas? Right now my money is on buying the updated model of the same Aiptek Slim, but I'm asking here as well since there might be other decent alternatives I don't know about...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Um...

...why non-Wacom?

Not to be silly, but that's sort of like asking someone which non-female person with an XX chromosome he would prefer to date.

Sure, there MIGHT be an exception out there who is totally gunning for a de la Chapelle syndrome hottie, but for the probability of that, well, the Lotto's your friend, play your numbers, and Bob's your uncle.

Seriously though - Wacom is pretty much the way to go.

This DESPITE the I4's bloody nibs.

Thanks
    Well non-Wacom because I find them to be severely overpriced, and also I've had a non-Wacom before and it didn't suck.

Was planning to buy the exact same thing (Aiptek 600U) or the next model, but apparently they don't sell them here any more.

The next on the list is a Genius F610, which as far as I can tell, is pretty much the same product, with another label branded on it. Will probably look for some more reviews and get one. I need something to work on, don't have the cash for a medium / large Wacom, and I'm not gonna draw on a damn post-it size Wacom just cause it has that brand on it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well they're not that overpriced especially for reliability and customization. Granted there are certain newer generations have flaws that shouldn't have happened but overall can't compare. I've tried other brands just to see and it's like ...ugh... compared to wacom's compatibility.

Thanks
    Well I went ahead and bought a Genius F610.

100 bucks, 6 x 10 inch active area, and I for one cannot see what the problem is. If my drawings look like crap it's usually because I don't have the skill or the patience, not because the tablet doesn't serve me.

IMO it's a great type of tablet to get started on

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well for one, with the exception of Hanvon tablets, I hate having to change a battery and I don't like the weight of the pens with batteries.

The other is other tablets I have tried give me erratic behavior where I had less of a headache with installing a wacom driver.

For a beginner, a bamboo or graphire are also just as good. Though I won't argue it's not the tools that make the artist, it's just the reliability makes a difference. Sometimes you don't know what you're missing but I have found the way Painter works on non Wacoms generally worse than with Wacom brand ones.

With the exception of a broken USB port on my intuos4 my tablets were 5 years or more - meaning they were kind of hand-me-downs because the tablets still worked so well even with wear and tear.

That said, I do wish some other competitors would step up to make Wacom more competitive with their product.

Thanks
    Well look, as far as I understood it, given a 6 x 10 active area, the Wacoms are 4 to 6 times more pricey than what I got.

I agree there may be some extra quality involved, my question is do you think it's OK to pay 300% extra, for a 10-15% increase in quality?

Things like a battery in the pen are subjective, I for one would probably miss the weight of the battery operated pen, since that's what I got used to.

Thanks
    Hi fellas
    I just wanted to say that besides the feel of the pen being cheaper than a wacom pen (you get the f610 pack with less money than you pay for a wacom pen so I guess IT IS! ) genius is very good.
    I have the 610 and just ordered their m712x.I will have it Friday delivered to me for 112 euros.Thats amazing compared to a wacoms price!
    But if you can spare the money (LOTS of it ) I agree that you go wacom.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What are the drivers like?

Thanks
    Hey peeps ,
    I got it and everything is great except the pen that still needs a battery.
    As for the drivers , nothing ectraordinary you have pressure control and keymanager for around the border shortcut keys that you customize as you want.It also has 2 scrollers with 2 buttons (They are left and right on top side so I call them nipples! ) for zooming changing brush size or whatever.Also 5 keys for changing from wide screen to normal and zoom/volume/scroll keys that i havent used yet.

Going back to it so I can finally start a sketchbook

Thanks
    if you have 160 bucks get the wacom bamboo fun medium, it's big enough. i had an aiptek once and it is no match

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.