just a thumbnail
    Too Stubborn To Stop

Currently focusing on:
    Gestures
    Loomis studies
    (soon)) using myself as substitute live model
    proper set up still life

(2013)

This year is going to be mostly about fun. Because if I'm not having fun, I won't learn anything.

My only problem is that I'm a lot like this when drawing:
    Too Stubborn To Stop

So I do need to remind myself to slow down every now and then

(2012)

Just continuing where I left off, I guess. People, don't ever get repetitive strain injury. It sucks.

My drawing a limit is 5 min. to one hour a day, depending on my arms, so don't expect any major improvement for the next 200 pages.
    I'm seriously contemplating shoving a pencil up my nostril and drawing like that just to extend my drawing time.

I switched from manikins to wooden blocks and cylinders and wooden farm animals apparently.
    Going to try and understand the basics for the next 12 weeks and then I can start drawing lessons.

(2011)

revised my plan 'cause the other one was a dead-set plan to burning out.

New, more sane plan:

- Just draw and use whatever book I deem useful at the time
    - No tight schedules/deadlines/"must-do's".
    - Have fun.
    - Stay away from computer (no programming :'() (the more I use the computer, even with speech recognition, the longer recovery from RSI takes >_< I got it from knitting btw how ridiculous is that )
    - Report back here as often as I can.

Tada!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2010)
    Here's some hands I did, as one of my last exercises from the Betty Edwards' book. They're a bit off though
    When I draw them, I kind of feel like I'm cheating...

Attachment 1101295Attachment 1101298

Attachment 1101300

See you soon!
    Last edited by ebi; April 9th, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Starting this sketchbook for the third time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good start. Working through some of Betty Edwards' exercises seems appropriate for your skill level right now, but I wouldn't waste much time on Nicolaides. There are some interesting ideas in that book but I don't think it gives you very good results. The scribbly drawings in the book are a good example of how you'll be drawing. Loomis is good. Keep going.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Norkagar For This Useful Post:

ebi

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    After about six lessons (6 x 3 hours) of Nicolaides I kind of decided that it isn't for me at the moment. It was kind of taking the fun out of drawing so I put that aside, though I liked doing the scribbly gestures hehe.

I'm currently starting over with DORSOB, and after that will probably continue with the keys to drawing, before moving on to Loomis. But I agree, Loomis seems good. Less intimidating than the other books.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As uneventful as they are, I'll probably post my DORSOB results here as a way to keep this sketchbook going. Apologies in advance.

From this point on I'm instilling my new motto:
    type less, draw more.

*sorry for any weird sentences.
    I got Dragon Naturally Speaking to take the strain of my arms/wrists, but...this program seems to have a life of it's own!

Thanks
    These hands look pretty good. Keep drawing from life.
    Checkout my sketchbook filled with awesomeness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Passhunate For This Useful Post:

ebi

Thanks
    Looking good so far - as long as it's just for study, and you are giving credit where credit is due, no need to feel like you are cheating! A very important component of studies for most arists and in an academic setting is "master studies" - drawing/painting "copies" of master works to try and figure out with your hand what your eye couldn't as far as technique, color mixing, proportion, composition, etc. As long as you give credit and use it just for learning, you are fine.

Also, I'd love to see some hands done with basic shapes - I think that will help you understand why one hand looks correct, while another might feel "off". Loomis and many others have exercises for this.

Hope you are feeling better, can't wait to see more!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

ebi

Thanks
    here comes a big rant.

I'm sorry it's taken such a long time. I really wish I could just saw off these arms and replaced them with really cool robot arms. I have hardly done any drawing in the past months. And I'm really tired of starting Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain over and over and over again.

I managed to do one more hand, a really long time ago, holding a pair of scissors... But that's pretty much it.

I'm thinking of switching over to Keys to Drawing... and maybe that really snazzy hardcover version of Figure Drawing for What It's Worth:p a new book with new exercises .

But I still need to find a way to make the actual drawing part less painful.
    it doesn't help that I usually have a death grip on my pencils.

Maybe I'll start using a timer. draw for 5 min, take a really long break....
    And I guess now is to perfect time to practice spending more time looking at the object then looking at the paper...
    Or maybe I can instil a line limit lol. It really sucks, because I also need to think about taking notes for school and stuff.

sorry for any misplaced words etc. I'm still using speech recognition software.

Too Stubborn To Stop

this hand and the scissorss still seems to look quite off, but I can''t wrap my mind around wh what makes them look off.. well, at least he hand...
    I think I will focus on shapes from our own though. And not just my hands:p

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Aw man.... Betty Edwards + Nicolaides = recipe for frustration, IMO.

(Check the link in my sig)

Vilppu, Michael Hampton, Bridgman, Loomis, Bammes, and any of the construction methods would be far better for learning the figure IMO... even the Charles Bargue method.

"Learning to see" is a nice catchphrase, but in reality it's more like "learning to think and interpret and filter what you see".
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

ebi

Thanks
    I agree! especially using Nicolaides. Though I did like the gesture drawings

I now have a book from Loomis on the way! I'm really excited about it, because I have this book as a PDF on my computer ... but I never use it, because I hate using the computer to read books.

I have some of the Bridgeman books, but I find them a bit intimidating at the moment, Loomis' tone is a lot lighter it seems. so I'm saving the Bridgeman books for when I'm more confident.
    Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the Vilppu videos around Christmas

I also got a little water colour set (from Koh-I-Noor), though now I regret not buying tubes...
    On the other hand, I think this is a nice little set (and it has a lot of colours) that I can use to learn more about water colours.
    I figured that, when my arms start to hurt from drawing, I can switch to painting for a bit. Though I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

likewise, I got a bunch of nibs and some ink to add some variety ( to my movements/the way I hold a pen etc. as that really helps).

hopefully this way I can draw moar and hurt less:p

Thanks
    Exercises from "Vanishing Point"
    Too Stubborn To Stop

don't know why I wrote digital.

Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

Copying Loomis
    Too Stubborn To Stop
    I feel really sorry for this guy.

i'm wondering whether I should switch to just drawing basic shapes from life first , or if I should stick to doing the exercises from the perspective book and copying the drawings from Loomis' book:/

I think regarding watercolor am going to switch to tubes as I really hate "contaminating" my pans with another color (e.g. when I accidentally let a drop of dark blue fall onto a pan of orange, it drives me crazy).

but I'm wondering what colors I should get...
    I kind of want to limit myself to 3 to 4 colors (since I'm on a budget), but I'm not sure which...
    Right now I'm thinking of burnt sienna, yellow ocher, turquoise and davy's grey...

I really like the colors in the drawings from Tatsuyuki Tanaka's Cannabis Works, but I'm not sure which colors to pick to be able to emulate those...
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer-...e=UTF8&index=0

I'm also wondering about watercolor paper....
    Since I'm just starting out, should I directly go to 300g/sm or should I go for slightly cheaper paper that's 200g/sm?

and I am also wondering about brushes...
    I only have a fan brush, a really big and a small square brush and some of those "standard?" thin sable brushes..
    but I read somewhere that a squirrel mop brush is a must ( but they are also $$$ )...

Thanks
    Too Stubborn To Stop

jar, take one

Too Stubborn To Stop

Jar, take two

Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

copying from loomis. I wonder if I should get one of those wooden puppets so I can create my own poses...(I'm not yet ready to draw people from life).

Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

Fun with watercolors (copied)

Thanks
    Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

more fun with watercolours.

Thanks
    I finally found a treatment for my arms that sort of works

Typing is still painful, but I can draw again ..sort of *celebrates*

not much, but it's a start.

Too Stubborn To Stop

what I was trying to draw in 30 minutes

Too Stubborn To Stop

I also did a bunch of quick sketches etc. but bleh.

Tomorrow I'll try it again but I'll double the time to see if it makes a difference.

Also, I need to break this habit of drawing/writing everything a bit slanted!

Thanks
    Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

Too Stubborn To Stop

1) I have this feeling that I'm doing the whole gesture thing completely wrong.

2) I'm also having some trouble just drawing blocks.

Just to clarify...
    When people say that you should start by drawing blocks and cylinders and spheres, do they mean that you put, say, a cube in front of you and draw exactly that?

Or do they mean you put the cube in front of you and just use it for reference... Or in other words, you think up cube on your paper, but you look at the real cube to see what the lighting does and... uhm.. Things like that.

Because, so far, and as you might tell from the above picture,I find it pretty impossible to just sketch a cube and get all the angles/everything right without a ruler. :/

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast