Sketchbook: tribe's evolution

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Smile tribe's evolution

Hey all, first year Art student, no formal art training other than playing with a tablet every now and then, and somnu doar fe forums+tutorials.

The basics right now are lacking or non-existent, so get ready for some "barbaric" drawings for a while, until I get some skill

EDIT: First attachments are in the next post, moved as I need to place the thread icon here

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tribe; March 1st, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    For a first year art student, you're doing incredible. Trust me

Keep challenging yourself and pushing the materials to their limits. You've got strong core skills.

I'll check back up on you when I can

Thanks

Practice Practice

EDIT: Added the pics from the first post here, to make place for the sketchbook thread icon.

Now back to the usual program

====

OK here we go. Had a drawing class that we have only once every 2 weeks. Got told my drawings kinda suck (not in a demoralizing way, on the contrary, this teacher knows his stuff and knows who can take a sincere crit when needed) and so I need to boost my skills asap.

I installed 2 practice areas in my house, one in the kitchen one in my room, so I run into them several times each day, and can put in the work. I'm learning charcoal right now, so that's what I wanna focus on first.

The flower drawing is not nearly finished but the way it was dismissed leads me to believe it has some massive errors of composition or something, only I don't know what they are. Any help here greatly appreciated. Same for any good composition links.

The other one is 2 stages of what we did in drawing class. After some explanations from the teacher I do believe my lines and my shading / cross-hatching technique are the first problems.

As such I took some nice CA line exercises and started working them. The star, for line accuracy, and then cross-hatching, trying to get an even tone and not go over the object lines. Any other exercises that help here, especially for charcoal, would be appreciated plenty.

Also started doing a neat kind of exercise of my own making: the lefthander - pick something up in the left hand, put it up against the wall ans sketch / draw it. Soon you will find that the object gets VERY heavy, forcing you to either grow a stronger left hand, or learn to sketch faster. The game is to get as much detail in as possible, before the object is too heavy to hold. I never knew an apple or a roll of duct tape could get so heavy in just a few minutes

Last edited by tribe; January 3rd, 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: adding rest of images

Thanks
    My WIP submission to the Creature of the week:

... and some charcoal line exercises. This is actually the first time that I figured out how to get more complex lines from the charcoal. Gonna make a few more today, explore what can be done with it.

Thanks

Wasp

More charcoal stuff today. Managed to find some pretty out there lines during line practice, and also here's some steps in a still life (WIP)

So this is how I work right now, please crit if you see any major faults at this point. That still life is about 3 hours in.

Last edited by tribe; November 16th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks
    It looks like you're already developing a skill because you seem to understand the concept of laying foundations down before going into details. Your latest life studies are an example of that. You also demonstrated through your drawings that you understand how to work with contrast and light sources and so far they're looking fantastic. All I can say is to keep practicing with the way you've been doing lately.

-SR-5.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SR-5 View Post
    It looks like you're already developing a skill because you seem to understand the concept of laying foundations down before going into details. Your latest life studies are an example of that. You also demonstrated through your drawings that you understand how to work with contrast and light sources and so far they're looking fantastic. All I can say is to keep practicing with the way you've been doing lately.
    Thanks, yeah that's the plan, practice til I get it right

Here's some older stuff from my queeky.com account. Queeky is a site I highly recommend because it saves the whole animation of your work, not just the final result.

Note that the fish and the cheapo aliens are on top of a default picture obviously. The goat head I had from reference, but I change the light source position, color and intensity.

Thanks
    Here's about 9-10 hours of horse head, compressed charcoal, 50 x 70 cm

Thanks
    Another horse skull, 5-6 hours in, not quite finished yet. 100x70 cm compressed charcoal. Now that I see the snapshot that one eye seems a little posessed

Thanks

Horse skull week

So slowly but surely I think I'm learning a few things, just have to make more of these skulls and it'll be fine

Compressed charcoal, 70 x 50 cm

Thanks
    Couldn't finish this, as the school was closing at 22:00 hours. In any case here they are, the 2 skulls that have been our torturers for the past weeks:

Thanks
    Various stuff. Have been particularly lazy these days

Thanks

Got a new tablet! Yay :)

So the new tablet is here. I'm very very rusty after months of not using one, so yeah, will take some time to get back in gear. On the plus side I think I can see colors much better, what with the practice I got in school and all, mixing real colors.

Here's a quick practice run I did in Queeky:

Thanks
    OK so here's the score:

I need to make a landscape for school, featuring a hill around my city. I figured I'll try for something less ordinary and do a night scene, as from what I've seen most or all of my colleagues are doing day ones.

Here's some basic study to get me going. I got the day reference photos with the hills, and I'll have to convert that to a cloudy foggy winter night with a full moon.

Any help and tips appreciated.

Thanks
    Short update, a junk moon study that I did in Photoshop, in preparation for a night landscape that I need for school. Totally gave up on that moon, will try again in Art Rage.

The second one is WIP, oils, still life that I need for school. The bottle is actually more blue than the photo suggests, and also it's slightly less saturated.

The problem is that the still life I started from is no longer there, and I didn't make any snapshots from it. Important lesson learned right there

Thanks
    Today we went for the first Greek clay cast in school, awesome class

Too bad my cam's battery was dead so no image.

Anyway working on my first landscape, due in 2 days from now. I ditched the night idea for now, as I didn't have nearly enough ref photos or sketches / observations to get it done.

Instead I am doing the stuff below, and have put that red / orange / yellow underpainting, as an experiment.

Tips and crits always welcome

Thanks
    Moved on to these clay models (I think they are called?)

Anyway here's some Moses. Started in wood charcoal, then moved to black pastel.

Thanks

First pastel ever, first serious drape study :)

Pastel on paper, 100 x 70 cm. Took the better part of a night to do it.

Added a photo of my still life as well, but the camera was utterly unable to capture the colors on that drape, it's really some crazy material

Last edited by tribe; February 25th, 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    A task we got at school, done this after a still life I setup. Some parts I'm happy with, some not. I need to do A LOT more still lifes to get the hang of it...

Thanks
    WIP - working on a traditional Christian Orthodox Icon - oils on glass.
    It's mostly boring copy/paste work, but somewhat useful as a line exercise, exploring some new brushwork in making all those scales and stuff.

This one appears to be a St.George slaying some sort of dragon. I have to say to me it seems retarded, but I will probably learn to do these things properly, because from what I've seen they sell amazingly around here, if they're done right.

Thanks

The bloody thing is almost done!

I'd say around 90% done perhaps. This took me WAY longer than expected, I probably have around 20-30 hours put in this thing by now.

I know if I made a second one it would take a lot less time to do it, but being the first one it took a ridiculous amount of time to get the hang of it

Anyway here it is, I still have to fill in a few more areas, and I will make some changes to the ground below the dragon. Oh I know some things look weird and make little sense, but the thing is, this is a copy from an icon provided by the teacher, so not much I can do about that. This one is for school, once I start making some on my own, I will do a better selection of ref icons.

Thanks
    So since I was completely bored with that St.George icon I decided to do some more Mark13-Hardware work. This is a sci fi movie from the 80's or so, I saw as a kid, and now recently watched again and found the atmosphere quite OK.

The 2 digital ones are made on queeky.com (link in my sig) and the pastel is WIP, just me trying to get the hang of this material. I must say I like it so far

Excuse the mess in my kitchen, I only noticed it after I took the snapshots

Thanks

Update

Been a long time, I completely forgot about this place in the meantime. Here's some new stuff.

The last one, the still life, is also the first painting I ever sold, so yeah at least that step's now out of the way

Last edited by tribe; July 26th, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.