Book recommendations
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Book recommendations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Book recommendations

Hi!

I'm very undecided whether to buy 2 books.

One, is "The Art of Animal Character Design". I love David Colman's art and his caricaturated animals designs are wonderful! There are a lot of interesting and useful insights provided. Other than just drawing animals, he also caricatures humans into their animal form based on their behaviour. A splendid book!

On the other hand, there's this stunning and superb book, called "The Art of Hercules: The Chaos of Creation". First of all, I LOVE Greek Culture,Art,History and Mythology. I've studied it last year and this year I'm doing an exam about it. The book would be quite helpful as it talks about these things too. Secondly, this book is filled with delightful character designs, storyboards and production stories. The variety of character design is really great, contributed by amazing artists including the directors themselves. There are the paint, pencil, ink and watercolour.

It contains artworks from several and great artists like : Andreas Deja, Joe Grant and Gerald Scarfe. ;D

So...

Which one would you recommend me?

And when I choose one, do u think I should buy it on Amazon? (these books aren't sold in my country ;P)

I need somedie's HELP! Please....

Note: The books aren't that cheap - the David Colman's one is 24 (there're only available used books) and "The Art of Hercules" is 54 (the used one, because the new and unused book is 125...).
    If I buy the book from Amazon, I will buy it from the UK site and not the American one.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anuska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on what you think will help you most in your art. I was considering buying that Coleman book myself the other day since animals/creatures are my favourite subjects to draw.

Just ask yourself which is going to have the most positive effect on your work/motivation. Heck, you could always just prioritise one and buy the other at a later date.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Book recommendations

Thanks!

I think I've already made my choice. I'll opt for "The Art of Hercules" and I'll later buy the Colman's book (probably on my birthday ;D)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for posting David Coleman's art! His watercolor work and style is amazing (I assume it's watercolor and not digital)! One more reason for me to go into watercolor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Yeah, I love his drawing style! If you want to see more photos of his drawing you can go to this site: parkablogs.com

They do reviews of many other artbooks (video included ) .

You can also visit his sites ( which probably you already know them):

davidcolman.blogspot.com
    davidsdoodles.deviantart.com
    davidsdoodles.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.