Quest for Improvement: A Sketch Diary. (Requesting Heaving Critique)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quest for Improvement: A Sketch Diary. (Requesting Heaving Critique)

Hello friends. My name is Kaitlyn Nasalroad. Katie for short. I'm a 20 year old college student currently pursuing an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts. I hope to transfer to a four year university and pursue a career in teaching. I intend to dual major in art education and either science or English education.

I've always admired ConceptArt and it's my hope that I can gain a lot from it's members by posting my studies here. I was originally stationed in DeviantArt, but I need to be around professionals willing to give me the critique I need. I am a newbie here, and I am a novice artist. So please forgive any mistakes I might make.

Current focus of my studies: Human Anatomy

Images coming in a second.

Last edited by Katiebug; January 9th, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two sketches referenced from photographs.

First was referenced from: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs51/f/20...rt_Concept.jpg

Second was referenced from: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs26/f/20...artdibujar.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya! First, gj for posting! a good start, I'd say lighten up on your outline & keep working on the forms & their relations to each other. Keep it up!

http://bcillustration.net

I thrive on deadlines, & I am looking for work!

Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=191313

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just for fun, a portrait study of a famous male celebrity. If you can correctly guess who it is, then I was somewhat successful in my endeavor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A recent sketch from an Opera magazine, done while I was waiting to see a student counselor. Done in roughly an hour with some cleanup work done later. Relatively happy with the proportions, though the proportions of the arms seem a bit off. The breasts also seem a bit lop sided, but it may have been due to the shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff; I agree in lightening up your outline, the key is just to relax and sort of try to let everything flow. Instead of taking pains to get each line looking just right and ending up with really thick outlines, practise making an entire line or line section in one curve. If it's not right, just make another stroke over it. You'll probably find this tricky with a tablet, but for the basics it's worthwhile and good fun to sketch on paper anyway. Try to keep it light, as once your light curves have made something you think is right, you can go over it a bit more heavily towards the end.

From your first couple of images I can see you've got the idea of using a skeleton and basic lines and shapes for proportion and pose before going in with the countours. That's good, and you should get into the habit of doing that consistently. Drawing from life, doing studies and checking out some tutorials will probably be your best bet.

Cool stuff anyway, keep at it!

Hippies will walk through fire to get to my blog.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loosen your hand. A lot.

Do exercises with a pencil in violin bow grip, drawing LARGE with the side of the lead. Use your whole arm. Draw straignt lines, curves, parallel lines, spirals, ellipses, trace the same line repeatedly. Find the flow of motiion that works best.

Don't use photoshop or ballpoint pen. Neither is good for development of proper drawing form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for helpful comments guys! I'll work on loosening up my hand to draw softer sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try and study anatomy and proportions (Try Loomis). The ballpoint picture does not look like a woman at all, the body needs more curves and the necks far too short. Also try using pencils first instead of pens.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,376 Times in 3,597 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is turning into a sketchbook. The Critique section is more for working on one piece.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To expand on what arenhaus said, steer clear of lined paper as well. Blank works best.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.