intensive self study?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: intensive self study?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp intensive self study?

I'll be taking next year off before I go into grad school, so I thought I'd take the time to focus solely on art for once. I'm trying to keep it relatively cheap, but one of my fantasy ideas was to live next to an art school for a while (one focused in mainly technique - would art center be a good place perhaps?) so I can take classes as a non matric student + hopefully take advantage of school resources and being inspired by other students, etc... would this be feasible?

Has anyone here (I'm sure there are many of you) tried doing any intensive self studying that really paid off? And how did you go about doing it in a (relatively) cheap way?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe I should have been more specific. This is for the technical skill side of 2D art stuff: oil painting, sketching, watercolor, pen & ink, etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice art. You are great.Its seems interesting.For 2D why don't don't you try some software tools.It may enhance your arts skill.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Plenty of people have gone really far with only bring self taught. Take a look at some of the programs set out by ateliers and academies for really getting good at the technical side, then try to do that on your own. Usually they start off by drawing from plaster casts of antique sculptures, and then more on to painting it in greyscale, then colour. Figurative work comes in later I believe (may be mistaken), once your observational skills are really sharp.

As I said, others have done this before. Take a look at mindcandyman and algenpfleger. Anyways, just invest in some anatomy books and a cast or two, then try and find some life drawing classes to attend as well.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    living in pasadena would be perfect for you, you can to PCC which most art teachers there went and teach at artcenter (stang kong, rick osaka, alan eye, albert yu, joan kaan) and it is cheap $26 per unit, also you can go to artcenter at night (getting a scholarship for it is really easy and you can attend all of their workshops), you also have 3kick studio and the conceptdesign academy, all of them are in pasadena so it's perfect to study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intense self study in art...

Draw, draw, draw if that's what you want. Be focused, and don't lose it. There are some books online about drawing (free) and you can search it up. Go to the library and borrow books about art and design because books can be your best friends (sometimes not when it comes to color because the colors are all disoriented in the book). Maybe even volunteering at an art gallery would be alright to look at some art works (not necessary). Learn from people around you that you think are doing exceptional works in the field of art. Be obsessed in what you want to do, in what you're very much interested in. Carry your sketchbook everywhere and observe and draw anything around you, from people to landscapes, to architecture... go travelling and draw, take photos, learn about the culture and their stories, even. It might help you produce an art work. Take internships and opportunities in it.

In art schools, there are profs who don't even have degrees in art, or any at all. But they've done exceptional works everywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-craft7 View Post
    Has anyone here (I'm sure there are many of you) tried doing any intensive self studying that really paid off? And how did you go about doing it in a (relatively) cheap way?
    I think I kinda fit in that category of artist
    Well, I recognize that there are three elements to succeed in self studying
    and for this matter I quote Glenn Vilppu
    "one needs three things to succeed: the knowledge, the skills, and the spirit to carry it out"

ok lets translate this a bit (based on my experience) the first part, the knowledge is out there you just have to look for it and ask the right questions, to be more specific internet and a never ending bunch of tutorials of all sorts.
    the second part, the skills well hehe i think we all have it, that's why we're Ca.org members isn't it?.
    And the final part, well i translate this into sheer DISCIPLINE powered by GOAL SETTING.

Believe you can be really surprised by what your true potential is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I consider myself self-taught even though I am at a college (the teachers never teach anything, they just tell you to do stuff; it's just a small college).
    I have been teaching myself sort of intensively for the past two years almost, though I need to step it up.
    My advice is as follows:

Invest in at least one or two drawing casts, as well as a good anatomy book and perhaps Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life.
    Also, download Andrew Loomis's books online in PDF form.
    There are many good books, and I'll list more at the end of this post.

Be sure to stock up on sketchbooks/newsprint paper/printer paper,
    and draw your heart out every day, as well as practice digital painting,
    or whatever you're aiming to do.
    What I do is balance my work out with life, reference, and imaginative study.
    So basically, every day try to do a piece from life, then study from reference (such as anatomy or master studies or photo studies), and finally be sure to work from imagination in order to ingrain it in your mind,
    and this way of working will exercise all of those areas of your brain that are important.
    Remember that it will take you years to see major results, but the consistency is key (especially when dealing with learning anatomy)

Just set some goals / schedule and stick to it. Maybe try the daily self portraits thing too. I think the best thing to do is master your fundamentals first so that you can do well in all media and learn things faster (do a bunch of still lifes, study basic forms, study from Vilppu lessons, do some cast studies, etc.), and composition, etc.

Here's a list of books I have that I think you should eventually check out:

Alla Prima
    Imaginative Realism
    FORCE
    Drawing Scenery
    Drawing Animals
    Oil Painting Techniques and Materials
    Understanding Comics
    Dynamic Figure Drawing
    The Practice and Science of Drawing
    Classical Painting Atelier
    Perspective Made Easy
    Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters
    Drawing from Observation
    The Natural Way to Draw
    Drawing Course (the Bargue course)

Hope that helped!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.