• JanJager

12 21.43%
  • (lark

9 16.07%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

C.O.W. #194 Best in Show. VOTING!

C.O.W. #194 BEST IN SHOW_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #194 VOTING

Topic: best in show

Deadline for the voting: nov. 24th 9 pm pst.
    Last edited by (lark; November 18th, 2010 at 01:05 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Artist: PokketMowse

Concept: Pim

Pims are small, docile ungulates resembling unicorns or kirin. They are well known for their sequin-like scaled pelts and their spiraling white horns, the size and twists of which can be used to gauge a pim's age and maturity.
    Pims subsist mainly off raspberries and the squeals of little girls. They can be found in show rings the world over.

Attachment 1103070
    Last edited by PokketMowse; November 16th, 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Switched order

Thanks
    Artist: Arthur Two Sheds

Concept: Duockg

When your beaked animal wins a prize, take it for a walk afterward. It will like it. Also, the man has a carrot head. lololololollolllolollloololol....

Edit: Fixed to fit brief.
    Last edited by "Two Sheds" Jackson; November 18th, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to "Two Sheds" Jackson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: NetherVoid

Concept: Ethetarious, Galaxy Critter

Born of a planet known for its abundant and beautiful “Ether” gases, the Ethetarious has adapted to its environment by adopting qualities of the Ether gas. Predators native to the Ether planet rely primarily on a keen sense of sight to find their prey and lay in wait till nightfall to hunt their prey. To counter-act this the Ethetarious has developed the ability to change the outer appearance of it’s fur depending on the intensity of light hitting it. In normal daylight the fur will primarily retain its green sheen, but when low-light conditions allow, the fur will change to resemble the Ether gases of the region. This allows an active camouflage of sorts and affords the Ethetarious an easy escape. Not only does this act as a defense mechanism but plays a large part in the mating dance of the Ethetarious. The most worthy mate will most accurately mimic the Ether gas,, not only allowing for a more beautiful fur coat, but also shows an especially acute aptitude for alluding predators.

For being born amongst such chaos and volatility in the Ether Region, the Ethetarious is quite amiable and docile once accustomed to a friendly caretaker. It is said that one can be mesmerized by the breathtaking Ether Fur for hours with no notice to the passing time… A caution for any future Ethetarious caretakers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NetherVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: o0Dave0o

Concept: Smugguss Egocentricus (Commonly known as a Tanar Bulldog)
    The Smugguss Egocentricus is a staple of the Intergalactic Pet Show and is almost always the breed taking home the top price. For centuries the Egocentricus has been regarded as one of the most appealing creatures in the galaxy, but unfortunately due to this popularity, breeding has transformed this creature to become less and less appealing. Similar to excessive plastic surgery on Earth, as the breed has been continually bred it has become less and less attractive. It no longer has back legs but rather a cape-like back end due to a more royal look. Also,due to it's centuries of popularity, through an odd course of evolution the creature has developed an apparent smug look on his face, permanently etched on this once beautiful creature.
    No one truly knows why the creature still wins first place every year, but it has for many centuries and will probably continue to win.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o0Dave0o For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Naraga

These highly sought after creatures are hard to breed in captivity and the few times one is for sale it usually leads to bidding wars and insane prices. This because their appearance is considered beautiful by the majority of the Intergalactic Special Committee of Beauty. They are always represented in the finals of the prestigious intergalactic pet shows and some people will do just about anything to be the proud owner of one of them. This is also the main reason why the ISCoB now require all naragas to be DNA-chipped and UPS-registered, to stop the stealings, kidnappings and murders.
    Last edited by porcupine; November 17th, 2010 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks
    Artist: Haekel

Concept: Squizard
    The squizard is the last creation by GenomPets. Particulary smart, sweet, cute (with little extra fat for confort) and hypoallergenic, the squizard is the last fancy pet all accross solar system !
    Get your own copy ! Call Johana on 555 598 985 ORDER NOW !
    (12h hour shipping, Including Mars delivery !)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haekel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Glowmoo

You will only see the glowmoo in the rainy streets of planet Circa. It has been domesticated since the colonisation of the planet. His compact but very soft and luminescent scaled skin makes him well adapt to it's environment. During the first years of colonisation, he has been used as a guide and as a source of light to reveal the dark areas of Circa. Today, his funny looking face and his gentle and wise behaviour (exept for this one here) makes him the pet that every child of Circa wants to own.
    C.O.W. #194 Best in Show. VOTING!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LJS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Tsyroni

Concept: Anitoulke
    Male anitoulke are a common favorite for intergalactic beauty pageants due to their bright colors and vain temperament. Originating from a vibrant habitat, their patterns and various growths on their back work as camouflage and mate attraction (Much like Earth's peacock). However, some of the growths are poisonous to the touch of most species, limiting their handling to licensed owners.

Attachment 1103675

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsyroni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 544 Posts
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Crested Tala

The Intergalactic Pet Show Association (IPSA) has been putting on the Polaris Organization's Official Pet Inter-species Tournament (POOP-IT) for nearly the past two centuries. POOP-IT draws many people from around the galaxy bringing with them a veritable menagerie of strange, domesticated creatures. Winner of this year (2284 CE by Earth's calendar), the 194th hosting of the tournament, was a crested tala of the planet Tischen, known for well for its mannerisms and it's beautiful, lambent crests. The creature is known for a vacant, sheepish stare and a doglike sense of loyalty. The creature has been known to have many mannerisms of the dog, in fact, parallels being drawn between dog and tala tendencies to lie on your bed exactly in the spot you need to be, then becoming flustered and dejected when one must inevitably move them a few feet.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: Zippo
    Easy to handle, decorative, don't eat much.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: (lark

Concept: illumifox

A perennial favorite of the intergalactic pet show, the illumifox was not originally bred for its immense beauty. Instead, it was bred for tight space cave exploration and rescue. Created by scientists using common foxes from earth and splicing in genes from deep sea bio-luminescent creatures to make a creature very capable of low light exploration.

Very easily trained, the illumifox likes to present the judges of the intergalactic pet show with a light show display with its three tails. A showing that is always a fan favorite to spectators.

Attachment 1103978

Thanks
    Naww man. I was still actually pretty interested to see how many votes my amended piece would score...

Thanks
    I voted for JanJager. Simply effective and original concept. Bravo!
    I can almost hear it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX1Qg...eature=related

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 544 Posts
    Good stuff everyone. Here’s my round of crits for this pet show...

PokketMowse - Elegant enough, and I can see this as a domestic creature (that might win a pet show, at that). There is an odd luminousness to it’s underbelly that suggests floor lighting. The scales on it’s front look a little off and a little flat. Other that that, I’d try and avoid using as much white as you have here, for highlights.
    Arthur ‘Two Sheds’ - When you posted your image I was disappointed it didn’t fit the brief, but it made me laugh and I though the piece was amazing regardless. Then you put your “fix” in place and I lost my shit laughing. I still can’t not chuckle uncontrollably if I look at the image.
    NetherVoid - Very interesting and cute little creature. I think the flowing hair is really gotten across well and I like the impression one gets of the creature glittering (or perhaps being covered in glitter). The problem lies in the fact that it’s very hard to read. It took me a few looks to see the feet and the way the tail is curled around it. There isn’t enough tonal variation to define it’s forms in such a way that it’s easily read.
    o0Dave0o - This was entry gave me a nice little chuckle. I love the straight-faced seriousness of the creature. The sense of smugness is really gotten across here. Most of your forms are great, but there seem to be oddly jarrin stylistic differences in the rendering of the chest scales versus the rest of the creature. The tail also looks like it could use some more attention.
    Porcupine - Yours is another with a lot of personality, also conveying a very self-satisfied demeanor for your creature. Like I mentioned in the WIP thread, the form is lost due to the lack of tonal varation in the creature itself. I’m also not sure it’s abdomen would function to hold any kind of organ, but I like that it seems like a dig at the ugliness (and yet popularity) of the greyhound at dog shows, they also having an oddly small abdominal region. Push the tonal values for form and keep working.
    Haekel - I really liked your presentation on this one as a magazine, particularly as a genetics magazine. Your creature bears the cuteness that makes it instantly endearing to me, yet bears the qualities of a Chihuahua that make it seem feasible as a pet show contestant. The scale transfer on it’s back feet is awkward, especially when compared to the front feet. On the tail, I feel like it would have looked better to have the hairs taper in at the end. At the end of the day, though, I found your creature endearing and the execution admirable. You got my vote.
    LJS - You’ve managed to make another creature with quite a lot of personality. Great luminosity as well. Some of the painting could use some cleaning up, though, and I feel like the feet could have used a little more attention.
    Tsyroni - Overall I think you had a solid concept and design. The piece looks pretty nice, but there are some awkward parts. The feet and the arrangement of the legs in particular look very strange. The teal elements that look like they should be bioluminescent have no tonal variation with makes them look flat rather than luminous. I might also recommend more sparing use of the texture overlay, putting it in key areas, but mostly just using it as hints. The eye will fill in the rest for you.
    JanJager - Loved this little guy. Tons of personality and the peacock elements looked great in the end. The lips in the background look oddly eerie. The only complaint I really have is that some of the hair looks a little rough compared to your usually solid rendering.
    (lark - Like I said before, I really love this design and your presentation is excellent. The bioluminescence works well (and it allows you to do your regular teal secondary lighting) and the creature has a pride and elegance about it. Some of the rendering gets rough on the feet, it’s antennae and it’s tails, which is unfortunate, because as extremities of the creature, they draw a certain degree of attention.
    Last edited by Si_Swe; November 18th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast