Why whining is a sign of laziness...and other things...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Why whining is a sign of laziness...and other things...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Why whining is a sign of laziness...and other things...

For those of you who constantly whine about not having any ideas...

Did it ever occur to you that you might be thinking too big? Over time, I'll post a number of [examples i create myself when I have the time] below that deal with the simple things in life...the world seen through the eyes of a child, everyday things that just run from normal to ridiculous through misunderstandings, and the greatness of the tiny things that we all come across everyday and often ignore. Try emptying your mind and letting the fluff get in once in a while. Use a magnifying glass instead of a telescope, and travel to Jupiter in a cardboard box once in a while. It might be helpful...

I'm going to be adding [examples of all types as i create them myself, thus guaranteeing that there wil be no concerns, even as far as Fair Use is concerned]...feel free to do the same, but remember to stay to the thread theme... When it starts to drop in interst, I'll move it to the P.O.W.! Reference section...[and please don't post any links, photos, art, or comic examples that are not provably in the public domain or that you didn't create yourself]

Last edited by Ilaekae; November 17th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Use a magnifying glass instead of a telescope, and travel to Jupiter in a cardboard box once in a while.
    CALVIN AND HOBBES!

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeonkill View Post
    Can imagination bloom even on a battlefield?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Can imagination bloom even on a battlefield?
    If inventiveness has anything to do with it then yes. Two world wars and a cold war has been the basis of a lot of modern technology. Not to mention art and culture.

Last edited by Angroc; November 10th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Angroc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought whining seems lazy because its wasted time with no real outcome.
    I'd rather make breakfast than whine about not having any yet.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nonobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good idea.

Also, stand up comedians often talk about the little things.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gerulaitis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whining is not laziness!

I've walked away from many encounters with whiners struck by the amount of effort classic whining expends in demonstrating the world is against you.

It's far easier to just produce something. Anything. Just...start.

And thanks for raising the larger point, and providing inspiration!

"Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Hinman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think of whining as laziness, think of it as really cheap therapy!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never quite gotten the no idea thing - half of my little brainless warm up sketches before I get working turn into some project I'll get to "some day". Thanks for starting this topic, Ilaekae - I see it potentially becoming a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Angroc View Post
    If inventiveness has anything to do with it then yes. Two world wars and a cold war has been the basis of a lot of modern technology. Not to mention art and culture.
    AND medicine.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cmalidore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the manga Walking Man, and it's about going for a walk and seeing things like rabbits and birds. It's that simple.

http://www.narbonic.com/walking_shattered.jpg

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of whining about the lack of ideas is caused by the fact that many of us have gotten into the rut of dealing with "the now world" in a purely visual way. Art is not rendering...art is thinking--something most of us do too little of.

Sitting on a park bench and LOOKING for a subject/idea to draw is limiting. For example, there's a flower. An amateur decides to draw the flower. A pro looks at the flower, closes his book and thinks about the flower.

What does it remind me of?

• My 6-year-old in her stupid flower suit from the school play, scowling at me in embarrassment?

• The embroidered symbol on the Korean jackets that bunch of kids was wearing that just walked by? Where are they going? Up to no good, or going to school? Why do they have a flower on their jackets in the first place? "Hi! Quiver in fear, dude! We're the dangerous lavender posy gang!" Heehee...are they gonna ask me to turn over my water bottle and secret fertilizer stash at knife point?

• My ex-GF always wore that color...wonder what she's doing now? Still plotting the overthrow of the world?

What does the flower eat, and how?

• If I sat here long enough, would it send out a tendril and suck me dry through my toes? Maybe it'll bite me if I pet it, so should I offer it a passerby as a token treat first?

• Wonder if it actually likes the taste of dirt? Maybe it has a dirt cellar somewhere with vintage soils from all over the world that it breaks out when it's friends come over to visit?

Can it see me, too? If so, what is it thinking? Does it see me as an enemy or just something to eat?

• Maybe it's waiting for its adult teeth to grow in, so sitting here too long might not be good...

• What if it's an alien? Who'd know? He has a lot of friends, and nobody ever notices him...maybe he's just waiting for the mother ship to arrive...or his mobile carnivorous parents to pick him up?

• Soft...and lavender... Gran'ma, is that you?

You see a flower...and you think for a few minutes. Now...what are you going to draw?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You mean Mars. And the Jurassic Period. The latter more than once.

Also, isn't Yostuba kinda the same thing?

Last edited by Psychotime; November 10th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE Yotsuba. It's kind of the same thing, but more along the lines of "Wow! This is new!" than the surreal feeling that runs through Ryu-Shika Ryu-Shika. I have a real thing for comics and mangas that center around little kids inter-acting with adults in a no-holds-barred kid way. It's almost impossible to come up with that kind of thing without being one yourself...or totally blasted all the time...

I always felt that artists should read more good stories about very young children, because their brains are so delightfully short-circuited.

ADD: For those of you who have no clue what we're talking about...Yotsuba is the lead character in a long-running manga called Yotsubato, about a hyper little girl who just lets what ever's in her head kind of pop out spontaneously, much to the embarrassment/chagrin/amazement of just about everyone around her. The secondary characters are also well-developed, which makes it a rather funny pun-filled read for grownups.

Last edited by Ilaekae; November 12th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yotsuba's like that, but with awesome sprinkles.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't linking chapters to comic book illegal in this website?

Since this is been sold in world:
    http://www.amazon.com/YOTSUBA-1-Azum.../dp/1413903177

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me lack of ideas means that you are looking in the wrong place. Ilaekae makes a very good point. i read the Watercolor Artist magazine. A few issues ago, there was an article about an artist that paints textures...old rusting cars, doors, etc. but, he doesn't paint the entire object. instead, he does the extreme closeup. He painted a beautiful image of the front left grill work of an old Ford Pickup. He painted the doorknob and surrounding door, with all of it's peeling paint, etc.

inspiration is where you find it, period. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you are "stuck" for an idea...try a tutorial. There are tutorials out on the net for everything....watercolors, acrylics...you name it...it's there. It will teach you a new skill or help you to find a new technique. you are only limited by what you can learn or imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Everybody sucks when they start. Everybody sucks from time to time, no matter how much experience they have. You have permission to suck. What you don't have is permission to make yourself miserable.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flashback, it's illegal to post links to pirated software on the site. The comics that are scanalations and posted on various sites fall into a rather gray area because most were translated by volunteer fans before official translated rights were granted to publishers and are never posted to make money, but technically may break (or come close to breaking) copyright law in most countries. It also may fall under fair use in some cases, depending on the site/country. The comic sites and translations themselves are often "unofficially" tolerated by the original publishers because of the lack of official translations.

To play safe, and to observe the intent of the site, I'll remove the two links.

Thanks for your comment and concerns.

Last edited by Ilaekae; November 11th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah there's no grey area. They don't have the right to copy and distribute the scans. The translations themselves, yes, but they're not in a legal grey area like people like to think to make themselves feel better. The thing they could do that would be actually legal would be to post a translated script for people to follow along with, which used to be pretty common back in the day but this is so much easier to read that no one bothers.

Comics publishers don't "unofficially" tolerate them either, manga publishers have been actively trying to get sites like Mangafox and Onemanga shut down. :v Just a little bit of info in there for ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great advice, Ilaekae. I'll be taking that to drive my imaginative sketches this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We always seem to have a tendency to veer into legal problems here rather than speak about something constructive. I'll remove all the mangas and any reference to anyone else's art in any way above to keep the thread on track, and figure out another way to get across my point, not that my point is all that important to start with...

Thank you all for concerns and information.

Last edited by Ilaekae; November 12th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We always seem to have a tendency to veer into legal problems here rather than speak about something constructive. I'll remove all the mangas and any reference to anyone else's art in any way above to keep the thread on track, and figure out another way to get across my point, not that my point is all that important to start with...

Thank you all for concerns and information.
    I think the point is important. Finding innovative solutions, having a keen eye is just damn hard. Lazying around isnt. Its easier than whining but...whining is easy after a few trys.

I dunno, I know alot of people dont like Shin-Chan, and the kid is sorta off an underage pervert, but I think the artist does a good job of showcasing a trouble maker kid, also shows enough signs of a sort of naive innocence in the stuff shin chan pulls off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Yes, and when it comes to the purpose of education which is clearly the purpose now that just isn't necessary. I thought the united states had a 'fair use' law for that?

Or to qoute it:
    "the fair use of a copyrighted work (...) for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, but those websites didn't have the intentions of having the fair use law in mind, and you still need to give sources to said products.

Also fair use is open to interpretation that's why it's such a weapon against copyright laws.

Lastly a question for you: why do I need to pay for the videos above if my intentions are to learn, research, criticize, or comment ?

Here's is the actual fair use of the United States:
    http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Yes, but those websites didn't have the intentions of having the fair use law in mind, and you still need to give sources to said products.

Also fair use is open to interpretation that's why it's such a weapon against copyright laws.

Lastly a question for you: why do I need to pay for the videos above if my intentions are to learn, research, criticize, or comment ?

Here's is the actual fair use of the United States:
    http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
    I don't want this thread to derail since Ilaekae already warned for this. So I have created a new topic since I do think it isn't really clear what is fair use for most users. Especially people who aren't from the united states (like me) could use some explanation.

the topic: klick

41. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can't think of anything to draw, I usually draw something that's lying near me. E.g pencil sharpner, hairdryer, book w/e

Sounds a bit odd but then once you start suddenly ideas come into your head I find. As for imagination, I sometimes then look at these supposedly *boring* objects and maybe try to switch colour or do something different with them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All things can be interpreted by those of another culture without being destroyed--art, music, literature, and even how we perceive the human condition. Those of you who rail at the drop of a hat about this versus that, and that versus this really don't have a single damn clue about what "art" is all about, and by extension, probably not a whole lot else either. Remember this the next time you express "your humble opinion" without investigating first.

I have an original vinyl album I bought in 1966. It called the "Missa Luba" (1965) and if you have never heard it, or don't understand why I'm mentioning it here, view the items below on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToNb-...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxEP...eature=related

Which leads to another thing that will be of interest to anyone who ever wondered whether anything can be truly "new" and "original."

In 1968, a film was made in Great Britain.

Before there was the mass-media dwelling on homosexuality in schools, the hypocrisy of the "ultra-religious," bullying, Columbine, and Malcom McDowell becoming a star in "Clockwork Orange," there was Lindsay Anderson's "IF" ... and if you don't know what the connection between all of these is, maybe this will help, again on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500Ch...eature=related

Now think about the fact that one culture's interpretation of another's great music ended up as part of the score in a movie that seems to predict the state of culture in the United States...over 40 years later.

Last edited by Ilaekae; November 17th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2