Thanks

right side of the brain..

hi everybody ... i had a very interesting conversation with hanuka about the right side of the brain.. i believe that the right hemisphere is the creative one and you can learn to control it to get more success in your art... but hanuka wont believe in this...

how do you think?? what is you experience? do you think its true?

i would like to know how the great artists think too!! manley, android, feng, puddi, sparth etc..... do you feel it ?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not a great artist but I do believe in this. I think that most of us have, wiether you realise it or not. Before reading "Drawing from the right side of the brain", I didn't know what I was feeling while drawing, just that I liked it. I always wondered why I liked the drawing part better then seeing my end result. The book answered a lot of questions for me. They weren't answer that I needed, but it explained a lot.

The question of the right side of the brain ties in with the reason why I like to draw. I think it pretty much goes back to when I was little. When I was little, I had a bunch of ear infections while I was learning to talk. Which lead to years of speech classes in elementary school. So I didnt like talking much. So I'd do what? Draw, with the non verbal side of my brain. Even today, I studder sometimes if I start to talk fast. So I really enjoy expressing myself through art, its what I'm good at. Its the one thing that I know that I can do without fucking up so much.

Another thing to bring up is verbal vs non verbal (L vs R) in schools:
    Art should be taken more seriously at schools. It pisses me off. Art class is a joke. Kids take it so they can sit and talk with their friends and don't even do anything. Art class is a "effort" grade because it would be unfair to give less talented kids a lower grade! What about me? I'm way stronger in my right side then my left side. I'm more non verbal then verbal. Why don't I get an effort grade in science, math, and english? Why do I get labeled as unsuccessful just because I can't balance a chemical equation and yet I can draw better then anyone in my class? I've asked teachers this and they tell me "Because we're preparing you for the real world. Theres a much larger need for science, math, and english in the real world then there is for art. " Well, I guess that would depend on the person. The schools identify us by "students" not "a student", or better yet "Aaron S. who wants to become a professional artist." Since the majority of students are looking for a "verbal" job (as opposed to non-verbal jobs, like an artist), they just train everyone else in that verbal part too. Even though they're no good at it. I've acutally had a conversation with a councilor one time, I told her that I wanted to be an artst. She didn't quite grasp that concept. She said "Your going to sell your artwork for money?"
    "Not in the way that your thinking."
    "What do you mean?"
    "I want to become a illustrator, or a concept artist."
    "Oh, well, you do know that the money isn't that good?"
    "Yeah, but I'd can't imagine myself doing anything else. Even the thought of becoming a accountant, for example, makes me sick. Thats no way to make a living in my opinion."
    "Well then, I'd like to see a couple of your drawings sometime."
    "You can, theres 3 of them in the office and a sculture in the old trophy case."
    "Oh, I'll have to take a look at them."

Its just rediculous how people who are stronger with their right side are discrimnated against. Anyone agree?

Thanks
    i agree with you..

as i said i had this conversation with hanuka about it..
    becouse he never felt it he was unable to accept it and take it serious..

we all living in a world where we are too much depended on the left side... thats why the right side is too weak...

i think the way how we save information is EMOTION... this is the natural way of archive information..

example: if you hear a song in the radio but you dont know the name.. in the next day maybe you cant remenber anything about that song.. you only remenber the emotion you had as you were litening to it..

many people expecting something like magic.... thats becouse its not easy to believe it... but i think the first step to learn about it is to believe...

Thanks
    I dont know about right or left but I know that there isnt much man cannot learn by studying enough.
    and thats all..

Thanks
    Do buy the book Drawing on the Right side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. She explain a lot of thing that can make understand what's all the fuzz about the R-mode - she create it in fact.
    It contains various exercises to understand and control how to shift to this mode an really "see" the artist way.

Thanks
    I've read that book and I really don't think of it much. The whole thing I mean. Some people draw excellent emotionally and some mathematically. One should doubt if Hogarth used the right side of his brain but shouldn't doubt he was great nonetheless..
    and thats all..

Thanks
    im sure hogarth knew about the L and R-mode ...

but it doesnt matter who knows and who not..
    i dont think its necessary but its a big improvement

Thanks
    hogarth lived in early 18th century, the whole theory of the brain being divided in two parts came up in late 18th century iirc. and i still dont believe it. i dont think you can seperate the verbal from the non-verbal arts. everything is based on both creativity and rationality. the relations may vary, but i dont think you can divide everything in just these two categories.
    Furthermore there are people with one half of the brain only, who still can do about everything. its not that simple.

too late to write anymore...