Wants some critique on my pencil Drawing skills

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wants some critique on my pencil Drawing skills

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wants some critique on my pencil Drawing skills

I want to get better in my penciling skills. Anything you can tell me to improve on is fine. Including the type of paper and the type of pencil. These are all done in either Canson's field sketchbook or Canson's universal sketch, the 65 lb one.

I forgot what pencil softness I used for the half snail half man drawing. I think one of them was a B.

The hand study is done in B, a bit of HB, and 5B

The centipede-raptor monster, I think I will call it Centadon, is done in B and 5B.

The mutant creature is done a long while ago when I don't know how to keep my hands from touching the paper yet. I forgot what type of pencils I use for this one. Maybe a 3B with HB

The monster drawings are done in mechanical pencil and if I remember correctly, I used a 5B pencil to do some of the darker areas.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and Welcome

Some nice concepts here.

The question is, are these just doodles or completed pencil renderings? It's not easy/fair to crit a quick sketch on all its aspects. I know my sketches are pretty messy, but they are in my sketchbook thread. People can feel free to crit them or not, but they are not anything I would hand in to a professional.

If you are looking to add sketches to your portfolio, you will need to clean up your pencils by keeping tighter lines. In your hand drawing I see lots of fast random lines, fast circles and crosshatches with not much regard to lighting and form.

Now for a personal thumbnail sketch I would say this is fine (for now) but if you are wanting to use this as an example of your abilities, you will have to clean up your lines, excercise more control and planning, think about why you are putting a line down in a certain way. A good idea would be to check professional pencil renderings in anatomy books. Clean thought out pencil sketches are still -very- appealing even in a digitial age. This same style can then be applied to all future pieces.

The bottom piece has some nice ideas that have a kind of German Expressionist feel to them. The top two in that image anyway. The bottom creature is really inferior to the rest of your designs, it lacks any real form, weight or definition. Remember to apply basic anatomy (animal and human) to all fantasy creations.

I'd recommend opening a sketchbook thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stareater View Post
    Hi and Welcome

Some nice concepts here.

The question is, are these just doodles or completed pencil renderings? It's not easy/fair to crit a quick sketch on all its aspects. I know my sketches are pretty messy, but they are in my sketchbook thread. People can feel free to crit them or not, but they are not anything I would hand in to a professional.

If you are looking to add sketches to your portfolio, you will need to clean up your pencils by keeping tighter lines. In your hand drawing I see lots of fast random lines, fast circles and crosshatches with not much regard to lighting and form.

Now for a personal thumbnail sketch I would say this is fine (for now) but if you are wanting to use this as an example of your abilities, you will have to clean up your lines, excercise more control and planning, think about why you are putting a line down in a certain way. A good idea would be to check professional pencil renderings in anatomy books. Clean thought out pencil sketches are still -very- appealing even in a digitial age. This same style can then be applied to all future pieces.

The bottom piece has some nice ideas that have a kind of German Expressionist feel to them. The top two in that image anyway. The bottom creature is really inferior to the rest of your designs, it lacks any real form, weight or definition. Remember to apply basic anatomy (animal and human) to all fantasy creations.

I'd recommend opening a sketchbook thread.
    Thanks for telling me, I do have a sketch book thread. Yeah this are only sketches. The thing is I don't really know how to do fully rendered pencil drawings that well yet. I can't really tell the differences between the two that well. I've seen people called fully rendered stuff sketch/doodle work and some called their line drawings finished work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Thanks for telling me, I do have a sketch book thread. Yeah this are only sketches. The thing is I don't really know how to do fully rendered pencil drawings that well yet. The only thing I have tried so far, is painting one of my sketches in CS5
    Going to go check out that sketchbook....did not pick it up in your sig. My mistake!

Right, I checked out your sketchbook...what you said about not knowing how to to rendered pencil pieces that well yet? That's not true. You are better than what you think you are. There are just some basic rules you need to apply when doing pencil sketches.

I've looked through your stuff and you have some good works, what I think you need is more consistency. Your eye studies? Beautiful.

The best advice I could give for pencil work is to begin lightly. Always draw lightly and add pressure for definition. Using your page as your background colour you can create contrasts with your pencils and give thought to your lines and shading.

Check out M.C. Escher for breathtaking pencils. A personal favourite of mine is Mitch Byrd (very NSFW) and Iain Mccaigs stuff.

EDIT: For a pencil sketch that you would put in your portfolio, look at it and ask yourself what in this sketch would make a client want to hire you? What makes this pencil drawing better than your competitors?

Last edited by Star Eater; November 9th, 2010 at 02:35 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.