Fairy Queen - Is it finished?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Fairy Queen - Is it finished?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fairy Queen - Is it finished?

I'm going to put this in a sci-fi con's art show, so I want to make it as good as possible. Any suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The queens right hand. I'm sure the fingers do not look like they are at an angle as much as they look like they are smaller than the two middle fingers. My biggest problem is with the pointer, but I'm sure that can be fixed easily.

The position/size of her right wing looks off to me.

The hips and thighs on the fairy queen are off. Trace her bended leg up to her hip and visualise how it would be connected.

The queens big toe on her left foot is on the wrong side of the foot.

The queens hair is penetrating the wing? EDIT: Ok I see now that's her cloak, my mistake.

The kneeling fairy, the furthest wings are bigger than the set closer to us.

The left thumb on the kneeling fairy ends in a pointing tube giving it a bulbous appearance. The fingers on the right hand appear a bit stubby/lacking joints.

That's what I've picked up so far. Now that being said I do like the picture, especially the quiet atmosphere and muted colours.

My two cents.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Stareater. Good points and I'll use them on the next round. I think it's not clear enough that the wings are see through, so yes that is her hair that you can see through the wing. I might make the blue parts of the wing a little more transparent as well. Thanks again.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a really nice piece---you seem to be using traditional media and there's a lot of subtlety and control and attention to detail here that's missing in much of the digital work I see. I'm not real crazy about the use of marker for coloring. You've done a good job with the color, but I think you'd get a lot more nuance if you either used watercolor and a brush, or just did the coloring digitally. As Stareater notes, there's a number of minor anatomical and perspective glitches. It might be a good idea to find some better photo reference next time.

Also, I think I might consider making it more contrasty in order to create some drama.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments Giacomo. The color is all done digitally using the Soft Pencil brush that came with my Intuos 3. I really like that brush for its texture - I set it to an opacity of around 75% and a flow of about 20% and then build it up. Process wise I did a basic values layer first and then started in on the colors. I'll work on the brightness and contrast there this evening.

The earlier pencil version is here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=340

I used this Charles Vess painting for the palette, sampling from it as needed. http://www.greenmanpress.com/moon/1.html

I'll also be working on what I can fix of the anatomy. I actually had pretty good photo reference for both figures, so any errors there are in my drawing. The fairy queen photo is of an aerialist hanging in the air who has her arms back through a hoop. I did just have pointed out that her left foot is on backwards! Oy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmcd View Post
    The color is all done digitally using the Soft Pencil brush that came with my Intuos 3. I really like that brush for its texture...
    I'm not crazy about the look of it. Right now I don't think the ink drawing is working well with the soft-edged brushwork. If it were me, I'd steer toward either a more traditional comic-coloring approach (i.e., don't color outside the lines) or else lose the linework completely and go for a completely "painted" style.

As always, just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all: your line work is very cool. its very strong for it self. so for me there is to much shading, especialy in the leaves at the upper right corner. the lines are the strongest part of your picture so concentrate on them! to much shading destroys their influence. personally i think in the picture suggested by giacomo there is to much contrast. perhaps you could try to darken the values of the surrounding of the upper right leaves, the lower left small leaves and the hair or cloth of the elf queen. for the anatomy thing i would say your picture is as good as it is. your aim should not be to draw correct anatomy, but the story of your picture, and that as i could see is very well done by you. i love the little elf behind the leaves

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RenéK View Post
    your aim should not be to draw correct anatomy
    Sorry Renek I have to respectfully and strongly disagree with you there. While a drawing does not have to be photo-perfect, some basic rules need to be applied before they can be manipulated effectively.

I do not want to put words in Scottmcds mouth, but I'm pretty sure he was looking to try and improve the picture as much as he could in all aspects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an updated version. Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I'm stopping here because I have other pieces to work on as well, so cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.