character design / creating the human figure from imagination

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question character design / creating the human figure from imagination

This question is probably asked a million times...
    I'm drawing for about 2 years now. I tried to learn things like measuring and block-in, basics about light&shadow, perspective etc. Mostly I did sketches from life or photo references.

I'm very interested in concept art and character design. First I tried to find photo references for every sketch I wanted to do... or I took my own photos. But that didn't work out too well, because I never got the result that I wanted to have. So I assumed that I have to learn how to draw the human figure from mind. Currently I read the "Die Gestalt des Menschen" by Gottfried Bammes, which is great, but I think that I probably have to study this book for years before I can draw humans from mind.

So I want you to ask what you prefer or would advice. Taking photo references? Learning Anatomy? Or using books by comic artists like Christopher Hart? Or...?

I'm thankful for every tip

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to spinoza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bammes is very good. And yes, anatomy can take years to learn. When copying the drawings try to not just copy, but really understand the forms of what you are drawing. Then afterwards draw the same studies from imagination. Bridgman is also very good for this sort of constructive anatomy that is good for drawing from imagination.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spinoza View Post
    So I want you to ask what you prefer or would advice. Taking photo references?
    Yes.
    Learning Anatomy?
    Yes.
    Or using books by comic artists
    Yes.
    like Christopher Hart?
    OH GOD NO!!!!!!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post

OH GOD NO!!!!!!

I was waiting for that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Yes.

OH GOD NO!!!!!!
    I unfortunately don't know any other books about 'comic-style' than this one I didn't find it that bad, but I think I can understand why you don't like it. Can you recommend a better one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To preempt everyone else, pick up and beef up on your real world anatomy before doing comics. Stylization comes after an understanding of the basics.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    Then afterwards draw the same studies from imagination. Bridgman is also very good for this sort of constructive anatomy that is good for drawing from imagination.
    That's exactly what I try to do,... but I personally find it pretty tricky. And thanks for the Bridgman tip, his books seem to be fantastic (even if bammes hates him )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What? Bammes hates him? I can't understand the German in his books, but I did notice that he has pictures from other anatomy books in there (from Loomis and Hogarth and stuff). Anyways, Bridgman is amazing.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I unfortunately don't know any other books about 'comic-style' than this one I didn't find it that bad, but I think I can understand why you don't like it. Can you recommend a better one?
    How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Lee and Buscema
    Draw the Looney Tunes by Romanelli (cartoony, but very applicable)
    Perspective For Comic Book Artists by Chelsea
    Constructive Anatomy by Bridgeman (has a lot you can apply to a comic style)
    Creating Characters With Personality by Bancroft (more about design for comics than an actual drawing manual)
    Action Cartooning by Caldwell

And on the concepts behind comics themselves:

Understanding Comics and Making Comics by McCloud
    Comics and Sequential Art by Eisner (the classic!)
    Drawing Words and Writing Pictures by Abel and Madden

That's a good start, at least.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the list, Nezumi! I just ordered some of them & bammes constructive anatomy.

What? Bammes hates him? I can't understand the German in his books, but I did notice that he has pictures from other anatomy books in there (from Loomis and Hogarth and stuff). Anyways, Bridgman is amazing.
    As I understand it, Bammes don't like Bridgman's books. He writes, that his basic idea was right, but the tools that he offers are not very helpful because they are more about subjective simplification than construction. He doesn't like Andrew Loomis at all, but thinks that Burne Hogarth's books are very good (page 36/37)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinoza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting to hear Bammes' views. I personally haven't found Loomis to be all that helpful. I started off drawing from his books, but ended up getting really stiff figures and really frustrated, so I bought some Bridgman books, and haven't looked back.

Anyways, I ended up with sketchbooks full of copies of Bridgman, and knew my anatomy pretty well (I also learned from Peck's book), but then couldn't really apply it. I should have done more from my imagination when studying him. But then one day I started thinking more in terms of very simple forms first (cylinder for limbs sort of thing), and it all clicked and I was able to apply everything I learned from Bridgman.

And I have Dynamic Anatomy by Hogarth, but haven't really studied it much. It seems decent for some things, but various parts of it bother me. All his figures for instance are a bit too comic booky for me, and the lighting on the forms is really bad. Plus all the figures are flayed--he doesn't really show any figures as you would see them with actual skin and fat on top of the muscles.

Anyhow, here are some figures I did from my imagination last night just so you can see sort of how I am doing from the books I have used (life drawing also helps). They still aren't that good, and I have been studying this for a couple years now, so yes, this takes a while to master.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I remember someone mentioning the complete opposite about Hogarth (re Bammes views upon him - calling him something like "rubberman")

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try the sticky thread on recommended reading. Saying you don't know other comic artists is kind of funny considering Hart doesn't even draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

But then one day I started thinking more in terms of very simple forms first (cylinder for limbs sort of thing), and it all clicked and I was able to apply everything I learned from Bridgman.

[...]

Anyhow, here are some figures I did from my imagination last night just so you can see sort of how I am doing from the books I have used (life drawing also helps).
    Your studies from imagination are fantastic, I'm really impressed. I like the idea to reduce complex forms to simple geometrical forms and apply anatomy later, I will definitely try it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In my experience Bridgman isn't to be taken literally. All of his gestures and drawings are stylized. I know it seems like they aren't but they're filtered them using his own visual language. His sketches and drawings are only examples of a level of understanding you should be trying to achieve through life drawing, they are not the goal themselves. Honestly, some of his sketches are too stylized and hard to read if you have no previous knowledge of the underlying anatomy. It really helps to have multiple sources for learning anatomy and figure drawing.

Ideally, you could grab some Sculpy or a copy of Zbrush and start rendering the human form in actual 3D space. This kind of understanding is more difficult to pick up on paper, at least for me it is. If you can model an accurate torso from memory then drawing it takes little effort.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still a big fan of Hogarth, myself. The poses don't seem to make much sense, but after drawing them a few times, it starts to click as to whey he put them that way; after just a few studies, you'll have drawn each part of the human anatomy at about every angle imaginable.

However, it's probably safe to say that Hogarth is more just a place to start. The presentation makes it easy to pick up and memorize simplified forms of anatomy in ways that give a real sense of depth, but for more detail, you'll have to go elsewhere (a medical text on anatomy with detailed illustrations/images is a good supplement). Also, Hogarth's figures seem to lack any sort of weight, floating around in space. There's really only one place to reliably get a sense of how muscle, fat, tissue, and drapery hang off the frame: Life. It usually isn't fun, but it serves a purpose to always be drawing from live references (not just photos... real things get budged and moved, so you'll be forced to dedicate what you're seeing to memory that much more).

I definitely like CaW_'s suggestion to experiment with sculpting and 3D modeling. It's one thing to draw something you can see, but there's something to be said about manipulating an object in your hands or in a virtual space. You get a real feel for the entire form of an object when you're holding it or rotating it at all angles. When I personally started messing around with Lightwave and (blech) Poser, I found a lot of things that used to give me trouble suddenly weren't as much a challenge anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 1