Got Prints!. . . Now What?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Got Prints!. . . Now What?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Got Prints!. . . Now What?

I've finally made some prints of my paintings (digital prints from DA) but I have no idea how to sell them!

Does anyone have some good advice on selling prints? Has anyone here sold prints from their online gallery alone? Or did you have to do things the old fashioned way and market yourself in person?

Where do you market your prints? o.o; Framed? Matted? Rolled up?

I have a BFA, you'd think they would talk to you about this but I'm convinced my school just wanted us to stay poor. I COULD REALLY USE SOME ADVICE!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you're an internet celebrity, mad skilled, or you've got an ad campaign going, I don't think that anyone can expect to make that much headway through online actions alone, though it is possible if you pander yourself the right way. In order to sell your prints, you've just gotta get known. No one can buy your art if they don't know about you, no?

Have you tried investigating art dealers or participating in something like First Friday?

And here's my sketchbook. Help me out with some c&c?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eclectic rhapsody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Most people I know with prints on DA seem to sell most of their prints in person at conventions, rather than actually selling any through DA... Of course that means finding and attending appropriate cons, if there are any. It also means getting a bunch of physical prints to sell (either buying a bunch of your own prints at artist's discount rates through DA or RedBubble or something, or going to an output place, or whatever.)

People who do decent print sales on DA seem to be either already very well known or else they have highly popular subject matter *coughfanartwolfdragons*

Though even if you have popular subject matter, you still have to get known, which means marketing, being active in the right circles, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic rhapsody View Post
    Unless you're an internet celebrity, mad skilled, or you've got an ad campaign going, I don't think that anyone can expect to make that much headway through online actions alone, though it is possible if you pander yourself the right way. In order to sell your prints, you've just gotta get known. No one can buy your art if they don't know about you, no?

Have you tried investigating art dealers or participating in something like First Friday?
    You mean First Friday is like, a standard art thing? o.o Not just some weird monthly event in my city alone?

And uh, yeah, I'm hiding in my bedroom. (scared)

So pretty much its a matter of getting out there in the real world and becoming known! I have lots to work on then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you're the only one who has access to full res versions of your art. Otherwise there's no point in buying them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stabby2486 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smellykitty View Post
    You mean First Friday is like, a standard art thing? o.o Not just some weird monthly event in my city alone?

And uh, yeah, I'm hiding in my bedroom. (scared)

So pretty much its a matter of getting out there in the real world and becoming known! I have lots to work on then.
    Yeah, I was really happy to find out that cities beside my own had them too. They seem to be pretty standard for larger towns.

Another thing you might want to do is join an art group in your city. There's this one group that I found out about via meetup.com. It's a comic book creator's group, rather than a general art group, perse, but the members are all very supportive of one another. They buy each other's books, and donate to one another to help kick start eachother's projects. Might be a nice route.

And here's my sketchbook. Help me out with some c&c?

Members who have read this thread: 1