Sketchbook: 17 years old - 2 years till Design School, gogo! :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 17 years old - 2 years till Design School, gogo! :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face 17 years old - 2 years till Design School, gogo! :)

Happy new year guys
    Hey guys! First time I'm posting here!
    I've been watching the forums for a pretty long while now, and decided: Tonight's the night!!! I'm very anxious to see if I'll get any feedback, but at least it's worth a shot aye?

About me:

I just turned 17 the 14th september, and I have been drawing for, I think half a year now.. I just need to stay focused on drawing each and every day even tho it might get tight, and that is why I'm making this sketchbook. I've for a long time been wanting to get into the design school (can attend it in 2 years), but it was just recently I picked up drawing. I know it's my "call", even tho I'm not good yet, I'll just keep on doing this till I reach my goal!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ogihara; January 8th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Observations from the book I bourght again

Last edited by Ogihara; January 8th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and again from the book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to try out photoshop a week ago, was really unsatisfied with what I could do, but I tried to do an eye... Will try to work more in ps the next couple of weeks I guess :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep going. But remember, you are at an age when you will want to rush and try to cram in as much as possible. Keep on your toes, try to judge the information you are being given, and don't just absorb anything and everything.

Take your time, build a solid base. As you practice, think, understand, and keep trying to apply them to works from imagination.

Best of luck with your art.

Sketchbooks

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi, welcome!
    Follow Vritra's advise and dont rush anything. Look at stuff and build a solid base, then work in detail. the human shape is a weird and hard one to depict so start with easy shapes like spheres and boxes and other "simple" shapes. And when you get used to drawing shape, that dont look flat, even shapes like the human one will come more natural to you. Look at "simple objects and how light and shadows behave.
    Now keep going and dont stress. you have 2 years right And then forever after that. good luck

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I totally agree.. It's just so tempting to draw the human body already.. But thank you Vritra & B-Man, I'll deffo try and draw a bit more simple, and the advice about not rushing things is really something I'll try and work on
    Crits on the drawings are by the way also VERY welcome! And again thank you for the quick replys!

I'll keep posting as much as I can!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best advice I can give is to update often cause I've seen alot of people go from really crappy to ridiculously awesome. From my own experience I've been a lazy mo-fo and I could be way ahead of where I am right now if I would have drawn more. And your sketches so far are definatley not crappy, so I'm sure you'll be ready for that school by the end. Peace and don't stress out like I did cause this is supposed to be something you really enjoy.

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasum." Cliff Blezenski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xxPurple Nugxx - Exactly! Just what I was thinking when I made the sketchbook.. Wont stress, dont worry

- Made this landscape thingy tonight, not done yet, but just wanted to post the "start".. It's really... Yea I dont really know how to judge myself on this one, since its my first landscape I've done in photoshop.. Anyways, enjoy!
    Peace!

(noticed the black thingy in the top is wrong hehe )

Last edited by Ogihara; November 3rd, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For being so new to photoshop and environments, the mountain scene is looking great. My only crit is to push the values some more, make it much more contrasted, especially on the rock.
    Master copies are a good way to understand colour, lighting, etc, too - Heres a good site with plenty of artists to choose from; http://www.artrenewal.org

Also, keep studying from your book, they're looking very nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again.
    I like your last study. Even if its a start. I hope you dont mind me giving some more crit/advise. I think your making things to complicated. Focus on putting things in perspective. Mountains are kinda random shapes, hard to paint. Keep in mind that less color means less trouble. In this paintover I did I only used 3 colors. To make the mountains look big and menacing its good to put something that we know the size of in the foreground. I also used a darker blue to paint the exposed rock. It add's to the atmosphere. It looks like you used a textured brush. I used to try that aswell. But I never got good with finding good brushes for my pourposes. I think its best to keep to one brush. But alot of ppl disagree with me on that one. and thats OK, we all find our own way of painting. I hope any of this is helpful and that you dont mind the paintover. I can take it down if you want me to.

Name:  paintover.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  63.2 KB

Keep on working hard and dont slack.

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Ty Elz! Will keep studying from the book, and I'll read some about values, coloring and stuff, since I'm pretty new to color, that might be a good start But thank you for pointing that out!

- B-Man, dont know what to say, reaaaallly huge help! I'm really noticing how you simplified the picture with less color, yet it looks like there's more detail. Gonna try to work on that next time.
    About the textured brushes, what do you mean by sticking to "one" brush? If I'm understanding you right, your'e saying that using, for example the custom starting brush in ps, and just resizeing it to its purpose would be best? I can try that, would maybe be good in the start at least, not to fill my head with thousands of different brushes..

Really nice crits, please keep them coming And yea, thank you guys!

See you tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I stick to the standard round brush set to pressure sensitive. I should have been more specific, sry.
    Name:  brushstroke.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  6.0 KB

I never used more then 3 brushes, I think. I could post a link to my brushes some day.

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Good stuff. Can tell you know your stuff from your sketchs. As for photoshop and anything just takes a bit of getting use to. But your only talking weeks. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - TY Mitze

decided todays drawings were.. really bad :p will be posting some tomorrow instead.. peace

Last edited by Ogihara; November 4th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start , use bigger brush and work zoomed out on those digi, it will help you focus on the essential. Simplify things as much as you can, theres a lot of noise in these snowy mountains caused by small tap of paint everywhere which confuse the eye, its a good idea to try to add texture but it must not interfere with the global value relationship between your shadow and light, and overall light composition. Your pencil are quite interesting, however as in your digis you need to step out of ''hairy'' lines and cleary define your intention with your lines and shading. Your 17, and already know what you need to do to improve, thats the way man ! Just dont give up
    Bman is giving you really good tips there, listen to what he says !!! See how he flattens the shape of light and dark to remove noise and simplify things, his paintover reads a lot better.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont stop , you are doing really grate .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

22. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo guys, im just drawing away atm, just wanted to say thank you for the VERY quick feedback.. Im really in a mood at the moment where drawing is all I can think of (thanks to you guys).. Anyways, new pics inc tomorrow, hope you'll like them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I haven't had the chance to sit down and work in photoshop, next time I'll be uploading is sunday, hopefully with some photoshop things.. pics inc are taken with a really shitty camera (phone camera, yea I know ), just so you know :p I like it alot more "irl".

I have been drawing alot, but it seems to me that drawing simple things like a glass of water, a square is much harder than I thought.. Damn these are not my favs, but I guess you can give me some feedback on 'em so I can improve.. Anyways guys, here it is

PS: after drawing these I feel like I miss so much! feel so bad about it, but, will draw every day, hopefully you'll be able to see improvement over time. Peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 years is enough for you to become awesome, you just have to draw like a madman. In case you're lazy and don't bother to draw much, then I'd suggest you to pick yourself seemly impossible task to do, like copying whole one book in 2 days or something like that. That's what i did, I managed, and it helped freaking lot.
    No offense, I didn't see anywhere you that you have problems with that, just in case, just in case.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really just couldn't leave my house without having worked in PS.. so, I tried to redo the last enviro.. As last time, this isn't done either! But I really have to go now .. I hope you guys like it compared to the last one, will prolly not work more on it since I want new projects all the time
    Edit: Only used two brushes this time, and as recommended by B-Man it's only custom photoshop brushes with sensitive setting

Peace all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a great improvement from the last one. I can read the shapes better on this one. Glad that you took my advise. Yeah, start your next study and I'll do my best to help.

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @B-Man - Ty! Im trying!

Okay, so I drew this castle thingy yesterday, and today some lava.. I hope you like it.. I dont really think Im where I should be, but that is basicly what encourages me at the moment to keep drawing & painting.. So I guess its all good!

The first one I drew, I got from somewhere here on the forums, the guy said you should try and catch the atmosphere in the picture.. I didnt know how to really, so I just tried to catch the buildings, which was alot harder than I ever had imagined.. This one went really wrong, I didnt know how to draw all those small buildings and make it look good.. Guess I failed on this one..

Second one I just found on google images, was not as hard as the first one, yet I like it alot more..

All crits are very welcome! Be harsh people!

Last edited by Ogihara; November 8th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The houses in the first one needs to be darker.
    The wall is out of perspective.
    And the trees should be a little duller in color and maybe more yellow and orange.

Other than that, the drawings are pretty good, so keep doing those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, im really in deep water when it comes to color & photoshop.. Im just.. Lets just say bad as a nice word? I know, but I guess I have to start somewhere Ty tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pencil is getting better and mountains are very cold ı really like your enviro. Don t stop we want to see everyday two sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I did this horse.. I think it went okay, drew it in black and white first in PS, then tried out colors.. Colors are hard man! Gotta eat, will work more on it later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you may want to try going b&w to work with values. its a lot easier to only have to worry about values first when painting, instead of values, colors, and everything else all at the same time.

remember that pure whites and blacks are rarely found

and when working on screen it may help ur eyes to turn ur background to a %25 grey or what i do is add a textured background. this is good bc when ur painting u may see a texture from the background that fits with it.

hope this helps have fun

Sketchbook

my subconscious does not stop begging my conscious to draw.
    hmm does that mean im a slave to my subconscious?
    at least it doesnt beg for crack. ha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, you wanna help, I will try to give u some crits, will subscribe so i can write the rest of the comment a bit later.

Stop writing such stuff like missing shadow, draw it
    When you draw geometric shapes, use the construction logic of them, for ex. right perspective for cubic objects, central and vertical axes, ovals for glasses and other cylindric shit. I bet you can find loads of stuffs like 1 or 2point perspective, how to draw still life objects on google, those tutorials would really help, to think in a more construct way.
    On the last one, dont use color just to color the picture since it wont work when you havent got a 3d picture of da horsie in your mind, use colour to help you to highlight the shape, not destroy it, and bring confusion into the picture.

Hope It helps

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Justas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Karatina - Thank you very much! 2 drawings each day it is! Promise, probaly wont post every day, but I will do a minimum of 2 studies each day.

@ Mrd33ds - Yea, I think I will be going back to b&w, and when I can handle that, move on to real colors Great advice! Ty!

@ Justas - Haha the reason why I drew "missing shadow" was actually because I didnt know where it should go! It was just imagination, and was unsure soo
    Yea I'll be checking perpective and colors out alot more, just practicing you know!

So the picture coming up is something I drew from a sculpture study.. I went to this place called "Glyptoteket", where you can sit and draw.. I think I'm gonna go there pretty often right now since it was a good experience.
    First one is real study, second one is croquie (I think its spelled that way) stylish.. Just tried it out haha
    Crits please!

A last thing, when I try to scan my drawings, they appear really white, so instead im taking pictures of my drawings with this shitty camera which doesnt really show it all.. Anyone got an advice for that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1