Sketchbook: Quest for Improvement
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quest for Improvement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quest for Improvement

I've been more of a doodler than an artist for my entire life, and I'm looking to change that. I'm most comfortable with comics and character concepts, but I'm trying to immerse myself in values and shading and all the things I've never really held any interest in.

Any critiques that you may have to share with me would be most welcome and greatly appreciated! My main priority at the moment is improvement. My main goal at the moment is art school. I work with pencil in a sketchbook and then take pictures of the pages with my webcam. I hope to update this daily, but I know that life will sometimes get in the way.

Until then, please enjoy what I've posted so far (:

Attached Images Attached Images                                
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! studies galore! great, keep drawing!

PUSH THE PAINT

Que tous vos lignes courbes être et votre peinture fraîche!

Concept Art SketchBook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=184754

I do web design! email me! seth@setherama.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real nice, keep at it. You'll improve with that sort of effort.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if it's just the camera you're using but the lines look a bit fuzzy to me so if you're drawing like that in real life, try to smoothen out and lengthen your lines.

I see you've got a Loomis book on hand. His stuff is good.

Keep up the studies!

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    olivepalm and Deadlyhazard, thank you very much for the encouragement It means a lot to me.

krysjez, thank you for the advice! I did some more quick sketches today and kept this in mind. It still feels a little weird to draw one line instead of a few lines, but I know that line quality is important so I'll continue to work on it.

I picked up Loomis's Figure Drawing for All it's Worth and practiced with his mannequin and anatomy notes. I worked mainly on the shape of the body and that kind of thing. Tomorrow I'll try and get into specific muscle groups.

Also there is another self portrait in here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the things I've done in the past week.

I still find tablet-drawing much harder than traditional, but hopefully it'll get easier as I go along.
    There's a muscle closely followed by some concept sketches that I did in my astronomy class today.
    And I tried crosshatching for the four hundredth time tonight. It never looks right when I do it, somehow, but I liked these.

Also, I know I haven't posted in three months, but don't let that fool you! I still draw every day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more things that I did yesterday. I am not particularly fond of any of them right now, but I am particularly fond of this pen and the way it makes my lines look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to just draw sometimes. don't always focus on a loomis-type manikin. from life, just draw freestyle.

my collaborative

join to me to make beautiful drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Catfish - Thank you for the tip, it means a lot (: I've been trying to do more of that lately, but I'll be sure to keep working on it.

Tonight I did some watercolors and I found out that my favorite pen isn't waterproof, and I was sorely disappointed.

That is, until I realized that I could just go over the lines with plain water and make some pretty cool stuff.

Still my favorite pen by far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love when an art journey is on its begining... it only can get better from here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm painfully aware of the fact that I'm not anywhere near as good as I wish I were, so practicing has pretty much become a constant thing.

I'm also painfully aware of the fact that my anatomy is all screwy and I don't know facial proportions, so more studies are on the way.

I have two Loomis books that I haven't returned to my school library in four months, hohoho. I tried to buy a plastic skeleton online but they're surprisingly expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more for today, inspired by that singer Jessie J. I enjoy her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hohoho, skulls, you are just too funny.

I'll update with something other than pencil and a webcam soon, but these skulls are so entertaining.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I finally decided to practice drawing some bones and things. The first skull I drew looked like that of a demented chimp and is much too embarrassing to post here, but here are the rest. You can see that I got lazy with the teeth and started to feel that lumps were sufficient. And then I drew some more self portraits. They both look slightly off to me. I think it's the placement of the neck in the one with the ponytail, and the left eye in the other one.

I will do better next time, of course. Necks will be placed in the right area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some sketches from today. I finally figured out the concept of an eye--a ball. With skin wrapped around it. Revolutionary!

And I made a comic out of the skulls that I drew.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A portrait I did of my sister with some charcoals I bought at my school bookstore today. Next week is finals week, so I'm doing my best to procrastinate. You know how it goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've spent the past couple of weeks or so laboring over anatomy and stressing about how poorly I understand the human form.

These are two twenty-minute sketches I've done off of a wonderful website, linked here.

I'm absolutely desperate to improve. I'm so tired of my art not matching my expectations or my imagination. I'm going to keep doing studies until I'm confident in my forms and whatnot.

Also, I've got an incredibly ambitious new goal--attend CalArts for character animation.

I'm applying for the fall of next year and I'm absolutely certain that I won't get in at this rate, but I'm going to keep on applying and reapplying until I finally make it.

Any critiques or comments would be greatly appreciated, seeing as I'm a little panicked and lost right now.

(Oh wait you mean this is not a blog about my feelings oh oops oh)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the eyes on your cartoons. And oh cool, I'm applying to the same program! Maybe I can help you out a little bit.
    The first thing you should know is your art is pretty good. You can put personality and story in your drawings and make them look really appealing. Sure you have some flaws, but everyone does and you're trying to improve. I totally understand not being where you want to be, but STOP INSULTING YOURSELF. It won't help.

Calarts likes to see experimental, stylistic stuff. Have fun with it! I've read the review board can tend to think of more academic drawings as "dead". Don't play it safe with pens and graphite, experiment with unfamiliar mediums. charcoal, watercolor, pastels, cut outs, tree bark, whatever! Getting some color in your work would help your chances a bit. Draw on more than just white paper too. And don't play it safe with the composition neither! Go against your instincts to put your drawing right in the center of the page surrounded by even space, that's boring. Make an exciting composition!

Photos are okay, but it'd be super helpful for you to get into a figure drawing class. Life beats photos, there's just no replacement. And if you can't for some reason, remember you don't actually NEED naked people in your 'folio. The only requirement is that your drawings be from observation. You could have still lifes or landscapes in it.

Okay, this site. I seriously suggest making an account there, it's a community of people in the animation field. There's students and alumni from SCAD and Calarts along with people who are trying to get in to animation school like us. It's no the most active place, but you'll get some good tips if you post some work in the art critiques section. On top of that, you'll get to know your (hopefully) future classmates.

This goes without saying, but try to update more than once every couple of months. If you're looking for some help with anatomy, Glen Vilppu's drawing manual and Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing book are pretty good, and you'll find lots of other suggestions in the forums here. Okay, I think that's all. You're on the right track, just keep working hard and don't worry so much! Good luck!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Vertical, thanks a lot for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me. And thank you so much for all your tips and things. They made me feel a lot more optimistic about this whole thing.

That being said, I'm on vacation now and so I've been drawing and studying nonstop, as usual. I figured it's finally time to jump into feet, yeah?

Here's my foot study. It's an ongoing process but I'm making progress, believe it or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking good, just try to stick to realism instead of toon style or something.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rem92, thanks a lot, this comment made me realize how easy it is for me to slip into that cartoony style, which is what I'm trying to avoid :/// In the mean time, though, I've done a couple more figure studies from pictures snatched off lovecastle.org/. I'm going to continue trying to bribe my friends into modeling for me B) So far, however, it's slow going.

These are both 30 minute sketches, and I know now that I have no idea how to shade anything. Something to keep in mind for the next couple of weeks.

Here's some really good advice I heard regarding drawing, by the way. I hope it helps someone else out, since it really helped me:

"Easy. Pick an object, any object. Set it in front of you. Look at it. Don’t allow yourself to look away, don’t let your mind wander, just closely study it, examine how the color flows, how the lighter and darker patches sculpt its form, etc. Then get a piece of blank paper and draw it. Don’t draw anything you haven’t seen for yourself, never think ‘oh I know this’ and fill stuff in. ONLY DRAW WHAT YOU SEE."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo this is my study for today, because I only did one.

I didn't quite capture the likeness of the reference I used but I'm working on it. I'm about to go do more and I will post the good ones out of that lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! It looks like you drawing a lot so that is a great step in the right direction!

I have a lot of the same problems as you. I would recommend reading some books on anatomy and dynamic poses. I noticed that a lot of your sketches are on the more static side and i think that maybe it is because you (like me) are not very comfortable with anatomy just yet. Force yourself to sketch with an exaggerated perspective. I've found that when I stop worrying on getting everything perfect and focus on other things like making the sketch or drawing look like it is flying towards me that my anatomy "magically" falls into place. Really it's just your brain overcoming that mental block about getting everything to be exact.

Another thing that will instantly make your drawings and sketches appear a million times better is to monitor your line weight. I forget to do this allllll the time. I noticed that your lines are all different weight with no rhyme or reason. Culling back the number of strokes you make and focusing on whether your lines should be thick or thin really makes everything look a lot more pro. You could also practice by using only one continuous line for each sketch. It really gets you thinking about shapes and forms and were to best place lines.

Great job so far and keep practicing! Stay inspired!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brand2.0, thank you for the advice! The exaggerated perspective thing seems like a really interesting tip, I'll try it out (: And thank you for the reminder on line weight and line clarity, I'll do my best to work on that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops I also wanted to post this link.

It's a link to another thread on the forums here that I just found today.

It has tons of free books from all kinds of great artists.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131117

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brand2.0, thanks a lot for the link. There's a lot of good stuff to go through, and it's all really helpful.

Here are some exercise-type things that I did last week. I'm trying to be as clean with my lines as possible because I realize that a lot of feebly attempted scratches really don't look as nice as one bold line.

What I found the most interesting was that I got the shape of the guy in the first page to look a lot more like the reference I was using when I didn't scratch it all out with lines on lines on lines. It took about five minutes less, too.

I really like this line economy thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first value study. Not NEARLY as hard as I'd imagined. Then again, I didn't quite capture the likeness.

Usually, when I'd try to do a value study or a color study, I would give up right after blocking because it always looks nothing like the reference.

But I guess if you keep going it gets easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple more sketches, I'm trying to get form and not doing very well. I think that more practice is in order @_@

Figured out that using a 0.5 mm lead mechanical pencil is probably not helping my line quality, so I switched over to a graphite stick. I think it's much more fun.

Meanwhile, I still have never used a live model! I've found a place downtown that has live models every Thursday, but it's in a very bad area and I'm not sure about it just yet. Hopefully, for now, strangers on the bus will not mind me staring very intently at their faces

Last edited by HablaGabrielle; September 1st, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies are lookin' good! I hope your figure drawing thing works out, te place I used to go to was in a pretty bad place as well, but the people who were actually at the session were all cool. Not sure what your place is like, but anyway good luck!
    Here's a tip for form, make sure your tone lines go across or with your forms. You do okay with forms lines along the form, just make sure every line you make helps and doesn't disrupt the illusion. For example, the tone lines on the top right drawing don't really help it, but the ones on the bottom right drawing do. Also, try giving your hair some mass instead of assigning it all one value.
    Good luck with applying, only 3 months left!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The place I go figure drawing is in a pretty bad neighbourhood too. But I think you're doing great and it should really help so try to go if you can.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1