Tutorial Video blog, focuses on the basics

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial Video blog, focuses on the basics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

UPDATE: the blog is now live, tell your friends! http://www.ctrlpaint.com

I'm working on a blog aimed at in-training digital painters. Do you know how to run photoshop but have no idea how to make it paint? The blog is going to give all sorts of free tips I wish I had years ago. In the meantime, I NEED YOUR HELP!

What are you having trouble with? As I make this instructional material, I'd love to get input from you guys -- so it can be as helpful as possible. So please respond with any and all questions you have about digital painting! here's an example:

example: "What is a 'mask'? They seem confusing and I avoid them."

Any feedback would be wonderful. If you're not interested in responding publicly feel to shoot me an email: mattkohrart (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks, guys!

___

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by matt kohr; March 7th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to matt kohr For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that a good question will be, when it's best to switch to color, while starting from black and white sketch/painting.
    Which coloring techniques do you use/preffer.

Video highly apreciated.

Crowd: Matt! Matt! Matt! Matt! : ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Dude, this is EXACTLY what I need.

I basically need the very basics of digital painting. When to use a soft brush, when to use a hard brush.
    What do you guys do when you start off with lines and block in values later, how to block in values, which kind of brushes and why, how to start off with silluettes, how to start off with a value study.... all this kind of stuff.

I know photoshop quite good, but so far I've only used it as a manipulative tool, rather than a start-off-from-scratch-painting device. I've bough several massive black videos so far, but they are all very speed up, so experianced ppl can seem to understand what the artists are doing, but for ppl like me, who have no clue how to use photoshop as a canvas, I can't follow.

If you're about to make such a tutorial-video, I would be very very very thankful.
    I'm even willing to pay if you can provide such stuff!

Man, thats so great!

Sketchbook
    Now crit the shit out of me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Matt!

I greatly enjoy your sketchbook thread, and I think a digital painting blog would be a great idea!

Personally, my biggest issue is economy of stroke, and putting efficiency behind your hand motions. I, and many of my classmates, tend to whittle away at a painting with hundreds and hundreds of superfluous brush strokes while trying to get gradients to come out, and we end up with very flat, fake looking paintings.

It's been really hard for me to find instructional material for this problem specifically, and I would love to see your advice on it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Matt,

thanks so much for taking the time. I really like your work and would like to know how you create mood and lighting in photoshop. Are you using custom brushes or special layer modes to accomplish it? Do you jump into 3D too?

thanks in advance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Everyone,

I've read over these questions as well as those submitted on my sketchbook thread. They are all GREAT questions! I'll be working them all into the blog material I'm creating. Over the next month or so as I finish up the blog, feel free to keep submitting questions -- I'm going to be making a lot of free videos and downloads, so let me know!

thanks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to matt kohr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The information about masks will be extremely useful. Also I have a personal question: how to create chromatic aberrations in Photoshop? I didn't google for english versions of this tutorial because I'm russian - i googled for russian versions and i didn't find any that would have helped. Thank you in advance!

deviantart accountsketchbook

★ may your pencil always be sharp except for when you need it blunt ★

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What im strugling with alot is what pan 2 described as well. What Im also finding a real big trouble, is defning materials.

For example, when a part of armor shows up as prehaps, a metal plate mounted on skin, or just a simple piece of leather cloth. How can define different types of material? (And I kind of mean all types of different thing, from organic, to hard surface. not only the 2 things I just gave as example haha.)

Colour blending and Lightsource/Shading also is hard one for me.

just someone else earlier reffered, when to use what type of brush, etc etc.
    Im starting to get my ass around photoshop more as a canvas, but I still need alot of the basic stuff still as well..

Click here for my Daily Sketch Blog!
    -Every art takes practice.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,171 Times in 1,967 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thnx for sharing knowledge with others mate!!!Keep it up!!!i will be visiting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm maybe a detailed explanation about value, it's relationship, and what works well with what. That would be both extremely cool and useful.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matt your work is awesome! I have been drawing for years and just getting into the whole digital art thing. Was wondering if you could make a tutorial of start to finish of a drawing/painting. Like what paper settings you use, what brushes you draw with, filling in color, shadows and layers. Even paper size and dpi you use. I kind of need a feel for everything. I need to take a class in it i know...lol. But any help you could give would be appreciated. Thanks for your time. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like the other mentioned , when to use what brush, maybe "Brush customisation" Info not how its done , also how to practice making backgrounds, just the simple ones, nothing on them just texture and stuff, that looks Painted ,,, also i so want to start a different style like this http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1288965729,,, but i cant decide where to start,( when i do it , it looks like crap cause i want it to look good from the start) it looks so awesome.

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, this looks great! My question would be, how to make forms appear more solid. I tend to run into the problem of having things look blurry and washed out when working digitally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, that's really kind of you to do this kind of thing for everyone!

My main problem is getting the right feel of colors when it comes to referencing from a photo.

I can do this easily with colored pencils and can easily blend and pick the colors I need. But when it comes to colors I spend a great deal of time randomly mixing colors until something happens to look right, and I would really like to improve on picking, choosing, and blending my colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan2 View Post
    ....Personally, my biggest issue is economy of stroke, and putting efficiency behind your hand motions. I, and many of my classmates, tend to whittle away at a painting with hundreds and hundreds of superfluous brush strokes while trying to get gradients to come out, and we end up with very flat, fake looking paintings.....
    I have this same problem. An in depth tutorial on getting value right digitally would be awesome.

Also, maybe some generalized tutorials. For instance, studies are clearly the best way to get experience and an understanding of figures, light, color, etc. But what are the most valuable studies to do? How do you keep yourself motivated to do some of the less interesting types of studies? What's a good way to learn anatomy and figure drawing if you don't have access to real life models? Stuff like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matt, thanks for making this. It should prove extremely helpful to such a newbie as myself. Something I'd like to see (though I suppose it's closer to art in general than digital art specifically) is using brushes and broad strokes to create the base for a character (blocking them in) or vehicle/environment, or whatever. I see this quite a bit in digital painting demos, particularly when an artist isn't working from lineart and I'm very interested in how to use brushes to create the basic shape of whatever it is you're painting. Look forward to seeing the blog all finished!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How do you use texture brushes and not have it look ham-handed? I can add texture in by hand and I can plop, say, a few textures over the whole thing but there seems to be something I'm missing otherwise.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of the great feedback, everyone! I'm hard at work getting this thing put together, and I hope that everyone will like the result. Keep these great questions coming (email them if you like -- mattkohrart (at) gmail (dot) com) --- They're quickly on their way to becoming video tutorials.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Matt, I would also like to know about implementing colour colour onto a black and white sketch (like mentioned earlier in this thread). I find this process very difficult. This sounds like a very helpful blog. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matt, I've be having trouble with rendering skin tone and clothing with shadow. When I do it just seem right. In my paintings my people look like amorphous blobs of colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know If this has been addressed yet, but I've always had trouble getting from the gray scale painting (which a lot of people encourage to do first) to making it colored.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what I have problems with is with advanced stuff. What I mean by that is realistic rendering of different things, details and achieving certain textures. I also have trouble with creative process. This is because I recently started concept art. So how to get ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When will this blog be up to visit? or is it already? (if so, where lol)

Click here for my Daily Sketch Blog!
    -Every art takes practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can't wait for this blog!

"Art cannot be modern, art is eternal." Egon Schiele.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for doing this for the community, I can't wait to see what you produce and im eager to see the solutions to the questions that have been asked, a lot of them have been on my mind.

When thinking about light, do you work on one light source at a time and make sure that you've got the ground of one before going onto another? I tend to blend all my light sources together by fault of over experimentation, and it ends up being murky.

Also what daily and weekly practices do you partake in to help yourself improve?

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't wait Matt.

Any updates yet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the continued excitement, everyone! I'm still in the process of generating some of the video content. The site is built and all the infrastructure work is done now. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll be going live -- and you can all see what I've been hard at work on!

stay tuned.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matt kohr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh another question, when working with clients how much progress work do you like to show them or do they like to see? I've worked with people that just want 1 thumb then the final, and others want 100's of pages of ideas.

Do you send pdfs presentations and that type of thing? It would be interesting getting an inside look if you're willing to share. C:

Thanks again for all your help.

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How to paint something that is transparent? This would be good for like glasses, clear plastic sheets, windows, googles etc etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok -- all of these questions have been helping me a great deal! I'm finally in the last sprint now, so get ready to mark your calendar...

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matt kohr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1