Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Fundamentals of Drawing/Painting - Russian related

Hi Everyone!

As I know, many of you often search for answers... I see many artworks you post here and there, which I easily recognize.
    No, I can't answer all the questions, but everything related to the Russian Academy of Arts, to professors who have taught and teach there, to their students who now teach there as well, to many Russian artists who've been unknown to the world until the last couple of decades, ... etc - this kind of questions I can handle.

I'd like to introduce several books that have been published on academic drawing/painting recently.

Nikolay Blokhin has been mentioned many times here... Yes, he deserves it. And his most recent publications are Painting and Drawing (presents his most recent artworks).

Vladimir Mogilevtsev, a leading professor of the Painting Faculty at the Academy, has published his 2 bestsellers, Fundamentals of Drawing and Academic Drawings & Sketches.

There are also publications of personal albums by Khamid Savkuev, Yuri Kalyuta, and many others.

I'll be happy to answer your questions or to solve the puzzle "where this drawing/painting came from". And, of course, anything related to art books.
    You can always ask me directly any art-related questions at guru@4-art.org.

Here are some samples of academic drawings and paintings (by former and present students of the Russian Academy of Fine Arts), which I will update from time to time:

Attachment 1150721

Attachment 1150724

Attachment 1150725

Attachment 1150726

Attachment 1150727

Attachment 1150729

Attachment 1150730
    Last edited by Book Guru; April 18th, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: website links have been changed
    www.4-art.org - art educational books
    www.Practicum.org - art educational portal
    guru@4-art.org - my direct e-mail
    Russian Academy of Arts thread - all about it

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sure was an adventure navigating that order.

spasiba, book guru

Thanks

You're welcome!

...and do you know you're our very first customer from Australia?! We should give you some kind of discount, to celebrate, I guess...
    How about 10% off your next order?

Navigation on the site is easy, if you hit the translation button. Unless you speak Russian, of course.

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Book Guru, I'm really interested in buying the book "Fundamentals of Drawing". I have two questions, though. A: how much is the book? I don't understand the pricing, is it in Rubles or some other money system? B: I want to be able to view the images in the book... does this mean I have to buy the physical book? Where could I do this?

Thanks
    Hi cdejong,
    A. It's 450 rubles (we can't post prices in foreign currency, it's against Russian laws), approximately $14.30 (http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html).
    B. We provide a PDF version for free if you purchase an original in Russian (1500 rubles). It's a big format, very high quality print, matte paper, hard cover. Russian students place it on an easel and study/copy directly from there.
    C. I hope I wont' get banned for a bit too much of advertising.
    So if you have further questions, please ask direclty at guru@4-art.org.
    Last edited by Book Guru; December 2nd, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: updated the price

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Book Guru View Post
    ...and do you know you're our very first customer from Australia?! We should give you some kind of discount, to celebrate, I guess...
    How about 10% off your next order?

Navigation on the site is easy, if you hit the translation button. Unless you speak Russian, of course.
    Hah, I can introduce myself and give directions but that's it. I'll take you up on that 10% offer

Thanks again!

Thanks
    I've just sent that coupon to you... please check your e-mail box.

And... this amount of language is enough in any country.
    Most of the time what you really need in this life is exactly -
    introducing yourself and getting the right directions.

Thanks
    Damn, that painting album looks so great... I think you will definately have a customer on that one, after im done with my part time job

Thanks
    Hey, Justas, if you're really from Lithuania, you could spread the news at your local art schools.

We offer special generous discounts to art institutions worldwide.
    Besides, I know for sure that in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania they still teach academic art by old teaching aids printed back in Soviet times, such as Sapozhnikov and others.
    So if you think they might be interested, please let me know at guru@4-art.org.

And thank you for nice words! I was lucky to visit several of N.Blokhin's personal exhibitions. My only regret is we can't publish 3D books, as there is a texture that you can't see on even the highest quality print. Besides, the size of a real painting makes also a different impression comparing to a printed version. Also, the light reflection... etc, etc.

Thanks
    I have purchased the fundamental of drawing and I find it is a really good teaching aid!

However, I do have some question and I wonder if they can be passed to Professor Mogilevtsev for clarification. One major confusion I have is the sketch step and the next step, Building after a sketch. It seems that the Prof. Mogilevtsev says that in the sketch stage, the artist does not use any measuring method to block out his drawing but mainly use his feeling, intuition to sketch out the subject, and only in the next step, building after a sketch, the artist will check the alignment and correctness of the drawing then. However, what confused me is that to me the result of the sketch step in the book is already very detailed, and finished to such an extent that if there were mistake, it would be rather hard to correct. So why is the checking done only after the sketch step? Is it because of the sheer ability of Prof Mogilevtsev that he can be sure he won't make a mistake that he can do the sketch til that level of detail?

Anyway, thanks for translating this great book. I would love to see more books from Professor Mogilevtsev and other esteemed artist from the Repin Institute.
    -JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    JS Neo,

If I understand your question correctly, it refers to the fact that only several sketch images are shown in this publication. Yes, there are could be dozens or even hundreds of sketches. But if we've placed them all in this book, it will look like an animation, not a teaching aid.

To Prof.Mogilevtsev, surely only a couple of sketches could be enough to finish the drawing. However, he made several of them to support his explanations in this teaching aid.

For your wondering on "why is the checking done only after the sketch step", I can only suggest to refer to the book again - I recommend to re-read p.14, 1st paragraph. And please, concentrate on everything Prof.Mogilevtsev says throughout the entire publication. The text takes only 20% of space comparing to the amount of images, and all explanations are very precise and straight to the point.

Please, check with your drawing teacher whenever you don't understand something. Based on your own drawings, I can see you have a good instructor. Ask your teacher to comment your own drawings more precisely (I saw some comments on your drawings, you need more). Ask him to criticize everything you do.

Your drawings are much better than what I've seen with many European and American students' works, but it's still far from what would (hypothetically) be accepted by our Academy (I'm talking about the entrance exams). At this time, you show a very good potential, so I hope you'll stay in this field.
    Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I usually measure all the drawings to our Academy level, their critique is the most cruel but it gives you a realistic picture of your present level and a good direction for your future artistic development.

As of my personal consultation with Prof.Mogilevtsev... Well, please you have to understand, this man is in huge demand, his schedule is out of reality, so...
    We hope to have his private consultations available online, but this won't happen until probably early spring 2011.

And JS Neo, - my tremendous thanks for your suggestions on translation!
    I'll be posting corrections to the English version in this thread a bit later.

I hope by this message I didn't discourage you from posting further questions and comments.

Thanks
    Thanks for ur reply!. Actually my question is not about how many sketch steps appear in the book. I am asking how Prof. Mogilevtsev actually draw his sketch step. After reading ur explanation and reading the page u mentioned, I think I roughly understand what his process is. I will post more questions here if i have any in the future

Thanks for ur kind words about my works. I am still far from the level i want myself to be at.
    -JS Neo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Actually, I thought that message was a bit harsh, so thank you for taking it in such a manner.

"I am still far from the level i want myself to be at" - that's the words of a Man, not a Boy. My respect.

Feel free to post any kind of questions. If I can't answer, I'd rather ask my friends from the Academy, or I'll simply admit not knowing the subject.

I've checked the link you gave me.
    Assuming you take criticism properly, let me share the following with you.

First, here is a quote from the same book (its very end):

"In the old Academy of the 18-19th century students spent a long time working from special aids before proceeding to a live model. Such aids included old master drawings, plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculptures, classical paintings. By doing this, students memorized classical forms and proportions. Drawing is the only way to understand and learn the form. Just looking is not enough. During the time of Antiquity and Renaissance young artists learnt by copying their great predecessors. This is obvious if we look at how classical artists drew feet, they are stylized in the same manner."

Plaster casts used for your drawings are not really of good quality. Be careful with that. You can use only real masters' works in order to learn the proper way.
    Pay attention to the very basics, the fundamentals.
    E.g., work "20100724_01.jpg" - look at the pedestal. Improperly done. Check the neck - poor movement (better to say, no movement shown). Using shades of light and dark didn't help you, as you've missed the very basics. Pay attention to how much time (I assume) you've spent enjoying drawing man's hair. Because it doesn't require any special knowledge, it's kind of imaginary thing, as no one can say is it right or not without checking with original.

Painting... Don't rush to that part yet. JS Neo, if you do that, you'll turn too much to "naturalism", which will kill all your ability to draw, the ability that you show now.
    Naturalism is a contagious decease of many European and American "photodrawing" systems... Be careful there!
    I understand your urge to paint, but... my advise - don't even touch it yet.

Make lots, LOTS of sketches of real people (not models staying still!). Every day, all day... Make this a habit. The nerve edge of knowing that real people can change their pose and expression at any time - makes you draw very fast, thus creating a good habit for your eye - catching only what's important. More sketches you make, more you train yourself at seeing a BIG picture. (Again, going back to that "Greek" sample - all the parts are done like they exist separately, not related to each other - a pedestal, a neck, a face, etc...)

Enough of lecture for today.

Correction:
    JS Neo, I've showed your drawings to an Academy pro, he said I'm too harsh on you. And if your teacher thinks you're ready to paint, then you should go with his directions (and you have a good teacher, I repeat). The only thing, I'd suggest to paint only with his close attention. But if he comments/corrects at least once a week, this could be just enough. (Our Academy professors don't teach every day either, students are often on their own in the workshop, mostly learning from each other.)
    Last edited by Book Guru; November 19th, 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Thanks
    I don't want to sound like a sales representative but I'd like to chime in and say that I've found the fundamentals of drawing pdf hugely helpful and I've actually seen a marked improvement in my stuff in pretty short measure.

It's funny. I've read some of the steps and processes outlined in the book here and there in this forum before but the examples and the stages in this book made great sense and just..."clicked" for me?

Anyway, I recommend it to anyone who is tossing up buying it

Thanks
    Thanks for the morale boosting statement. Good to know I am going on the right track.
    -JS Neo

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Thank you for your kind words, Glasses!

By the way, here is an update to the English version.

(Thanks to JS Neo from Singapore, E. Farr from N.Carolina, and D.C. from England - for their feedback on translation.)

1. Pages 16, 22, 44:
    - reflection light instead of reflex.
    2. Pages 16, 18, 42, 46:
    - suprasternal notch - instead of jugular fossa

Thank you all for your nice words about our publications, we greatly appreciate it!
    As always, waiting for your feedback...
    Until soon.
    Last edited by Book Guru; December 4th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    One of those drawings that make you... well... keep going with your studying, with your drawing, with your mastering and your search for perfection...

A Russian genious of drawing,

Nikolay Fechin (1881-1955) - He had many followers, including contemporary draftsman Nikolay Blokhin...

(I personally find this amazing that all three drawings belong to the same artist.)

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow - beautiful and inspiring pics. If I can work it out I'll put in an order later on. The language switcher doesn't seem to work on my version of Firefox - will have a go with IE.
    Have a look at some of my stuff at www.tomclive.com !

Thanks
    Anyone that is interested in figure drawing I recommend, Fundamentals of Drawing and the companion book Sketches and Academic Drawing. The english pdf is absolutely essential as well. The text is brief and to the point. Important topics covered: Fragmentary observation, Sequence of work (5 stages of a drawing and common mistakes related to each stage).

The second book is loaded with student work. 159pages of awesomeness.

I also have both the drawing and painting books of Nikolay Blokhin. I like his drawings more than his paintings, both books are good.
    Last edited by The~Tramp; December 4th, 2010 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Wow - beautiful and inspiring pics. If I can work it out I'll put in an order later on. The language switcher doesn't seem to work on my version of Firefox - will have a go with IE.
    Thank you, Tonik.
    Actually, the language switcher sometimes works quite slowly. We've tested it in both FireFox and MSExplore, seems working ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by The~Tramp View Post
    The second book is loaded with student work. 159pages of awesomeness.
    The~Tramp,
    Thank you for your kind words!
    Actually, you received one of the last copies of Academic Drawings & Sketches. They're all sold out now.
    At this time, we accept a subscription to the 2nd edition, which will be in English (not so much translation is involved, though, as it's only for introduction and the titles of drawings).
    We plan to have it published in January 2011.
    Soon we'll start accepting payments, I'll make an announcement on that as well.

As of now, everyone who is interested in this publication (here you can see book samples), can save 35% off retail price - $32.00 instead of $50.00.
    Just send your request to my e-mail, guru@4-art.org

And, once more - thank you everyone for your kind words and for your interest to our publications!
    Last edited by Book Guru; April 18th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Could it be possible to show someone's work when he joined the academy and then when he graduated? I guess it's a long shot, but I'd like to see, if possible, how much someone can progress with this disciplined learning method. And what quality is required for the entry exams? Can you show examples?

Thanks
    Vari,

There is a CA member, who wanted to compare the 3rd year of our Academy (total 6-year program) with the 3rd year of Florence Academy (total 3-year program).
    I've just posted some images at that thread.

In regards of entrance exams, there are some images here and there... you can check the same thread I've mentioned above for more. There is also some info at Practicum.org - it's also mentioned in my post in that thread.

I'll try to get some images from the entrance exams from the "Russian Academy Online" group, it's closed for visitors, only by subscription. But I hope they won't mind sharing with me a couple of images to post in here.

And I always recommend to join the group "Russian Academy of Arts - Practicum" - it's open to everyone (it's in Russian social net similar to Facebook, called vKontakte.ru). The only "little" problem, it's in Russian (registration is available in English), but they have tons of very valuable images (including high res for studying). As of today there are 190 albums.
    There you'll find much information on Academy, albums of great art masters (not only academic!), albums about Academy professors, about exams, etc... some are with very harsh critique (no bad language though!) - ... no one ever says there "you're doing great"

There are about 10 albums published there by students who want to hear comments on their work, but it's always easy to figure out which album is what about.

Among the group albums is the one about final diploma exams, all the images taken this spring, at the yearly Diploma Presentation (in Russia we call it "Defense of Diploma", I'm not sure it's the same in English).

Edited: here is another one I just found, it's also from Diploma Defense, but shows another hall, where all the other works were presented.
    Last edited by Book Guru; December 13th, 2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added one more link

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your time, I'll definitely check out the links. I see also that a lot of other questions that I had are answered in the thread you linked. I've always wondered what is to be an official art student in a reputable academy. Right now I'm stuck in this law university (it's still awesome, in the center of Paris), but who knows what the future will bring. It's nice to see that some students are about 30 years old. I always had the impression that academies accept only very young people and everyone who discovered art at a later stage in their life is rejected.

Thanks
    Vari,

I envy you. I'd study in Paris anything, just for the fact of being in Paris. I just love this little town.

By any chance, are you in copyright issues?
    It's my hobby, I like to read books/articles related to this subject, and have my own collection of cases (most from the US) - I mean samples of cases.
    If yes, what about starting a new thread on copyright questions? I bet this will be a very popular one. I have about dozens of questions to ask as well.
    (but if you're studying a criminal law, please excuse my wrong conclusions)

Well.. back to the subject.
    I'll be posting some images tomorrow, got a permission to download. I didn't see them yet, so I'm not sure yet it's exactly what you want.

The age is definitely not a problem.
    At the Academy, they used to accept boys at 11 years old, so they could go through the whole system of art education without any "wrong" influence.
    But this was a very long time ago (18th century).
    I don't know an average age of the 1st year students, but here is an example in math:
    A boy goes to an art college at the age of 14 or 15 yo, by the time of graduation he is about 18-19yo. Then he goes to the army (it's obligation in Russia), used to be 2 years, now - 1 year only.
    But when he comes back, he usually needs to take another year - to catch up. Then he can "try" to enter the Academy. So if he passes exams from his first attempt - he'll start his studying there at about 21-22yo. And that is quite an idealistic scenario.

There are people who take a second, and even third chance to get there. So it all depends on you personal motivation, luck, etc. (I want to remind that the Academy is tuition-free only for Russian citizens.)

But again, for foreign students it's a bit easier to get there, as it "only" requires you to pay for prep courses, and if you studied well - they'll accept you - and you pay again for studying there.

Btw, I've mentioned a couple of times that in Russia an artist of 30yo is "starting his career", at 40yo he is "a young artist", etc.. And I'm quite serious here.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Book guru, are there any plans to release an English paper edition of "Fundamentals of drawing"?
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    MidgardSerpent,

Yes, of course. But we plan to have it not as a single English translation version, but rather a parallel translation next to Russian. The text takes about 20%, so the layout won't be changed that much.

Approximate time for a hard copy in Russian is the end of Spring 2011. All our customers who had purchased its PDF version, will receive a refund in case they decide to by a printed version.

You can also ask for more details at my direct e-mail, guru@4-art.org.
    --------

Vari,

It's not 100% what you expected, but it's better than nothing, I guess.
    I apologize for the quality of some images, they've been taken during exams. You can imagine a nervous breakdown many students have during that time, and to have a cameraman next to you at such time - not a good idea.

I'll separate them into 3 sections: Painting Faculty, Graphics Faculty, Architectural Faculty.
    You see the score for each work in either top or bottom right corner. Usually, any score higher than 80 means you've passed this exam, so can proceed to the next one. Less than that means that you need to score much higher at another exam, or you're out.
    However, I have scores for Architectural Faculty only.
    The images from Painting and Graphics only show the exam process, so I don't even know whether those works have been accepted or not.

We'll keep our eye on this, so sooner or later I'll be posting new images on the 1st year students' works.
    --------

Painting Faculty Exam

Attachment 1121961

Attachment 1121964

--------

Graphics Faculty Exam

Attachment 1121965

Attachment 1121966

Attachment 1121968

--------

Architectural Faculty after Exam

Attachment 1121969

Attachment 1121970

Attachment 1121971

Attachment 1121973

Attachment 1121981

Attachment 1121984

Attachment 1121988

Attachment 1121990

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Elena Bazanova

I guess, soon I'll start posting some painting samples here as well, as this thread is about drawing and painting...

But yet - a bit of graphics first.
    Samples from a fine graphic artist and our Academy graduate, Elena Bazanova, from her master class on watercolor technique... That's her own technique that she shares.

The result is at the bottom.

35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    gorgeous watercolour painting there needs to be more waterolour portrait threads on here.

Thanks
    Watercolor is a very difficult technique.
    Bazanova's art is amazing with its perfection, but she mostly works in still-life.
    I'll think of some fine samples of portraits made in this technique, will post them here as well.

Merry Xmas to ALL ! ! !

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^_^ cant wait ^_^

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast