CD Cover for local band.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CD Cover for local band.

Here's a CD cover I designed and illustrated for a local metal band. I used Corel Painter XI with a Bamboo Tablet.

It was my first try at painting anything like this, so feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Edit: I don't know why this website enlarges my attachments. The original (when viewed in a direct link) is a lot sharper. :s

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anna-Bubbles; November 1st, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know you can just add on to your old post next time. It's pointless to keep making new threads each and every time you have an update...

as for the image size, it doesn't enlarge them. Pixels are pixels, it doesn't add or subtract any. Keep in mind that standard web formats are only 72 DPI, so if you are working in say 300 DPI for printing purposes, that's going to look huge on the web, so you'll want to save a separate appropriately sized copy for web posting. Always post based on pixel dimensions, not by 'inches' because inches are used as part of a DPI or PPI ratio.

As for the image itself, overall it's nice, but the hill feels very flat, and i don't understand why the meteorites and the ground lighting are the same color. I also don't really understand why the whole figure is rimmed in that color as well. You may also want to consider making the shadows a bit more blue, since the clouds seem to be throwing off an awful lot of light and color,yet your shadows don't reflect that color at all presently.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Truepinkas View Post
    You know you can just add on to your old post next time. It's pointless to keep making new threads each and every time you have an update...
    Sorry. I thought a WIP specific thread (able to make changes) and a final product specific thread (unable to make changes) would have to be separated. I'll use one thread instead of two next time I post artwork.

as for the image size, it doesn't enlarge them. Pixels are pixels, it doesn't add or subtract any. Keep in mind that standard web formats are only 72 DPI, so if you are working in say 300 DPI for printing purposes, that's going to look huge on the web, so you'll want to save a separate appropriately sized copy for web posting. Always post based on pixel dimensions, not by 'inches' because inches are used as part of a DPI or PPI ratio.
    Hmm. I think I post by pixels. For example, this artwork looks large on the forum but it's supposed to be 448px by 448px. (When you drag the attachment in a separate window, it looks like the normal size.) Am I doing something wrong, or is it just my browser?

As for the image itself, overall it's nice, but the hill feels very flat, and i don't understand why the meteorites and the ground lighting are the same color. I also don't really understand why the whole figure is rimmed in that color as well. You may also want to consider making the shadows a bit more blue, since the clouds seem to be throwing off an awful lot of light and color,yet your shadows don't reflect that color at all presently.
    Thanks for the comment.

Why do you think the hill is flat? (Is it a case of lighting, or the general shape?) I'm not sure if I'll be able to make changes (band members are happy with the final product and wanting to print soon) but I'd like to know for future reference.

I gave the figure in the centre a blue outline to make him stand out from the background and add a fantasy element to the artwork. (He's glowing with power.)

Alright, I'll dedicate my time to studying how skies interact with landscapes. Do you know of any books or tutorials which may help me? (If you don't, that's alright, I'm sure I could find something and study from life. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks flat because you don't have any atmospheric perspective affecting the hill like it would in real life. IRL, things receding (tend to) get fuzzier and bluer. The outer contour of the hill is extremely sharp, which brings it right up in front with the rest of the hill and makes it look flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the heaven. I think, the rock needs just some more details.

http://www.environment-textures.com/?ref=c21

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.