Following

Teen Challenge 100 :: Last Teen Standing - Round 3 :: Finals - Results

Round 3

Finals
    Post your final image with
    * 2 WIPS
    * Your Pool Number

Rules ::

Only people who have gone through since the previous round can take part.

1. Your Piece must be created for this teen challenge and no previous artwork is to be used
    2. Your piece must show some indication of how you followed the theme
    3. You must show at least two WIPs
    4. Make sure that the piece is in before the deadline
    5. Upload your images using the CA attachment manager
    6. Add a border around your image with the theme, your name and teen challenge included
    7. Post your FINAL image in the FINALS THREAD

Themes ::

The Last Dynasty
    Dragon Hunter
    Prisoner

Deadline ::

30th of October

Best of luck

Last edited by Nibras; November 17th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PieMonster, pool 1.

Sorry about only showing 1 wip really, but I managed to merge and then save, and then I couldn't get the previous layers back, which made me lose the other "wip" layers so to speak. Hopefully that's understandable.

Attached Images Attached Images    

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PieMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek, pool 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Last Dynasty
    Pool 1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Sonea, Pool 1

Phew. I was super busy this week and had to do the entire thing today from idea to final. Fortunately the process went rather quickly and I was able to do this in just a few hours. Had a bit of fun with this one, and played a bit with some textured brushes (usually I only use standard round).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    pool 2
    happy hallows eve everybody

Name:  Dragon hunter final1 copy.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  536.9 KB

Name:  Teen challenge 100 dragon hunter WIP1 copy.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  140.6 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where are all the entries guys? Still missing P, Tadas, and EpicKey...

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for being late, I'm still currently working on mine. I will post it today. I hope I won't get disqualified for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I would leave critiques for everyone who has posted so far. They all look negative looking back at them, but I was just trying for constructive stuff, so don't hurt me!

Piemonster: This is the same critique as I left in your sketchbook, but I thought I would post it here too for anyone who might want to see it.

The figure itself is really well done with fantastic lighting and rendering. I can see you clearly spent the majority of the time on him. There are only a few minor issues that I see. Design wise I find it doesn`t make too much sense. The armour would be far too heavy and bulky to actually be of any use, and the many spikes protruding serve no purpose other than coolness factor points. I have trouble seeing him being able to actually move about, and doubt he would be able to even bend his right arm (our left). The saddle shaped piece at his elbow there also should be turned more so that he could bend his arm (look at http://www.bestarmour.com/arm_harness_5.html), and modified a bit so he can bend more than 90 degrees. A cape would also be a terrible idea when fighting a dragon--carrying a giant flammable target is a no-no.

The anatomy looks mostly okay, but the arms are a bit long. Look at where his hand and wrist are compared to his crotch. The wrist should be about level with it when down by his side like that. The other anatomy issue is his legs. One is up on a step, both his legs are straight, and his pelvis is not tilted. Basically you have made one leg significantly longer than the other. To me it looks like you tried to solve this by moving one leg forwards to compensate, but it is not enough and results in the figure being off balance and looking like he should tip over backwards.

Okay, the background. The dragon is bothering me a little. It simply looks awkward. I have been staring at it a little while now, and think that it is lying dead on a rock, but it doesn`t read well. It looks as though it is standing and has its head on the ground for some reason. The way the wing is attached also looks strange, as though it is simply draped on top and not really functional. Also, how did it die? I see no blood, and based on the scale presented fail to see how the guy could have killed something that size with his sword.

The castle is the biggest problem in my opinion. It provides a big blank space and a very distracting harsh line next to the dragon hunter's head. I find my eye always being led immediately to that line. It has a huge contrast in value and the fact that it is so geometric compared to the armour. Soften it a bit maybe, and add some atmospheric perspective to it. As for the giant blank wall, nobody would build a castle wall out of a single slab of stone. I would break it up with some bricks of some sort and maybe some windows. It is too distractingly empty right now.

Hrm, that should about cover it. Naturally you can take all that with a grain of salt, but hopefully at least parts of it were somewhat helpful. Looking back at this post it looks really negative, but I am sure you will get through to the next round so don't fret.

Zelda_Geek: You have some nice dramatic lighting and a very dynamic image here. From a technical standpoint though I think it could be a little more finished in terms of rendering; right now it appears semi completed with some textures and blur added ontop to cover up the incomplete parts.
    I find the main problem of the image however is with your design of the dragon. It appears to be a bit cartoony for my taste, and design-wise makes little sense. Its body looks very odd—the transition from fat the thin should be more tapered and less extreme (as in the change is sudden at one spot, instead have the body steadily get slightly narrower as you go down to the tail). It also has no hind legs, so wouldn’t be able to do anything on land. It just looks not very well suited for any environment, even for the air it is not very aerodynamic and looks very heavy and cumbersome. The wings at their current size would not be able to support a creature that heavy. The wings themselves are also strange. There only a few wing designs commonly used, and you went for the bat wing one. Take a look at how the bones are arranged in a bat wing: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/bat-wing.gif The bones extending into the skin part of the wing are all actually modified fingers and all extend out from the wrist. And the arms are just human arms. This is a really common mistake for people who draw animals to put human arms on them. The human arm and hand are actually very specialized and unusual, look at some quadrupeds’ front legs to see what it should resemble more.
    If you were to fix up the dragon and finish parts up more I think this could be a really strong piece. As I mentioned before, the lighting and action come across very well.

xinranliu: Nice to see someone tackle the topic of Last Dynasty. I quite like your piece. As with the other critiques I guess I’ll mainly focus on design issues.
    The costume is bothering me slightly in some regards. Mostly the rolled up thing (sleeping bag?) on her back. I don’t know exactly what it is, or why someone of her importance would be carrying it. She probably can’t even sit down with that thing. And the cords wrapping around the dress feel strange. I prefer the early versions without them. They also cause some folds in the dress that are a bit to repetitive and regular for my taste. The other thing with the dress is that it takes up a lot of space on the ground, and she probably couldn’t hold the staff and walk about at the same time without putting the staff on her dress and tripping.
    The background is nice, but I would make a two changes. Firstly, change the arrangements of the windows to better frame her head. Take a look at Gurney’s post here: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...ging-head.html Secondly, the throne is far too simple. It looks neither comfortable nor fitting for a character such as the one you have presented. From all the decorations and the sheer ornate design of her, I would guess that she comes from a culture in which everything is slightly over the top and intricate. Yet her throne is as bare as one can get. It is just simple geometric shapes with not even a pillow. It looks uncomfortable and not fit for someone of any importance.
    That’s about it, except for one tiny minor detail...the shadow beneath her chin is a little odd. The whole image in lit with a very indirect somewhat cool light, yet beneath her chin is a very harsh and very dark shadow. I would tone it down a bit as it just looks out of place.

Andrew Sonea: Durr, you suck. I mean, what were you thinking? It doesn’t look very finished and way to completely abuse the rim light there. Jeez.

OmertA: Very detailed piece you have here, and I like that you went for a different sort of approach by using a female and a very non-traditional dragon.
    The first thing I notice is that your colours appear somewhat muddy or washed out. While it creates an eerie sort of bleak landscape I think it still is a bit too desaturated. I am not exactly what it is that creates this effect, but I think it might be using too much black in shadows. Try using a change in hue and saturation to turn form more than simply adding black to the same hue.

The dragon is very strange. While I like the fact that it is different from what we normally see I feel it has a few problems. The most noticeable is the head it not very functional. It is too large for the body (especially the horns), and the teeth from the lower jaw wrap around the top of its head—it wouldn’t even be able to open its mouth. The body as it recedes in the background is slightly odd as well. Actually, it is more the tail coming back into the foreground that is odd. The perspective on it looks off. I can see you didn’t want to lead the eye off the page with it, but change how it curves back into the foreground.
    The girl looks pretty good. Anatomically she isn’t too bad. Her shoulders are quite wide but otherwise she looks fine. The thing that is looks weird though is how you have cropped the picture with her. I don’t like how her feet basically line up with the bottom of the picture. It looks like you didn’t feel like drawing feet so just chopped them off.
    Uh, wow this sounded really negative too. It is actually a good piece with some really interesting designs on the armour and dragon.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pool 2
    Final

and wips

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have to say I am a little disappointed at three people missing the deadline, and two not even completing their entries at all. Will we be accepting lates? I know it might sound mean, but I suggest that there be a penalty of one or two points from their marks from the judges. In the real world people expect to get their illustrations on time. I know that I rushed mine a bit to meet the deadline, and I am sure that everyone who posted in this thread could have had a better entry with an extra day or two. Without a penalty of some sort it would be giving lates an unfair advantage.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just my thoughts Andrew. One day extra can make a huge difference. I'll hear with lilnebo about that, I'll also ask about the judges etc.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well that's the extra day anyway because I was so busy I wasn't able to post these up to the judges straight away. I am sure no one wants to miss out on the competition but life gets to us and sometimes no matter how hard you try you're just not able to find the time.
    To everyone who missed the deadline or didn't manage to finish sorry about that but tomorrow I am sending these out to the judges and the final 3 contestants will move to the last round.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I assume it is the same judges as last time? Maybe we can give them a deadline for when they have to get the results back to us. I understand how busy they can be, but last time was quite a wait.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
OmertA, you improved so f***ing much in the last year, insane. And you have really put a lot into your concepts and illustrations during this challenge man. Awesome to see!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any news from the judges?

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am still waiting for feedback. I know bumskee said he wanted to give everyone comments on their pieces but no reply yet. I'll contact them again

• The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next time, let's give them a deadline! Viva la revolución!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man some awesome stuff here, I regret it immensely for not taking a look earlier, Oh well there will be more. Well done guys.

Currently looking for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

We have RESULTS!

And J'ai les RESULTS! (I know results is in english

Reid's Markings ::
    Pie Monster = 11
    Idea - 3
    Style/Technique - 4
    Execution - 4

xinranliu = 10
    Idea - 2
    Style/Technique - 4
    Execution - 4

Andre Sonea = 9
    Idea - 3
    Style/Technique - 3
    Execution - 3

zelda_geek = 8
    Idea - 3
    Style/Technique - 2
    Execution - 3

OmertA = 11
    Idea - 3
    Style/Technique - 4
    Execution - 4

Tadas = 9
    Idea - 3
    Style/Technique - 3
    Execution - 3

Monsieur Bumskee's Markings and comments ::
    Great work guys!! sorry for the late response, my gmail must have missed the email from nibras, had to get it sent again yesterday.. But yeah, nice too some of the hard work you guys are putting into the paintings! keep up the great work.

----------------------------------------------

Pie monster = 10
    nice character! the armour is quite nice, the organic look works well, but maybe you've used the yellow glowing eyes a little too much in places. The figure needs some work, the weight distribution isn't very convincing, but also the perspective on the char is a little off too. composition wise, I think you could have made the dragon go all the way across in the background and maybe placed the main character slightly off the centre too. Maybe even have it cropped after the knee?

xinranliu = 11
    Nice design, I am not too sure about the sleeping bag she's carrying, maybe a little too big and misplaced? But otherwise good job on the rendering and the extra work on the background. the sketch looks very nice too! I wish you had maybe given her a more unique staff and added more colours to her patches with more unqiue design.

zelda = 10

Great lighting.. the warm lighting and the cool sky works well. It does feel a little rushed unfortunately. I think if you had spent a little more time it would have looked great!

andrew = 10
    Love the idea and the mood, it does feel a bit rushed.I think you could have used less black and more colours on the samurai. Would have been nice to see the head of the dragon more clearly. But otherwise good job with the bamboo forest! maybe add in some leaves next time.

omerta = 11
    She looks very classical, almost old school. She's very busy design wise and colours are a little too muted. But I do very much like the overall picture and nice work on changing the composition, definitely more suitable and tells a better story.

tadas = 10
    love the colours! wish you had chosen a different angle on the composition, it feels a little tad too symmetrical and boring. But appreciate the effort you've put into getting all the figures in the picture, it's not the easiest task but you've done well.

------------------------------------------------

FINAL RESULTS

* Pie Monster = 21
    * xinranliu = 21
    * Andrew = 19
    * zelda_geek = 18
    * OmertA = 22
    * Tadas = 19

Going through to the final round ::

PieMonster
    Xinranliu
    OmertA
    Andrew Sonea

The top highest 4 results. For the draw, Tadas' entry was late so Andrew automatically gets the upper hand

Congratulations

The final round will be up on saturday

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations to all those that made it though! I am relieved I am in the final round, but I just barely squeaked in...I guess I'll have to step it up a few levels next round if I want to take this thing home.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesss the résultats, finally
    Can't wait for the final battle!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oou shit, this is go'n be intensssssssssse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So where's round 4? I wanted to get a good start on it this weekend, and Saturday is already getting into the evening (at least in my time zone).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nibras will have the thread up soon.

• Members who have read this thread: 1