WIP: Armor set concepts

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP: Armor set concepts

Hello and thanks for visiting my thread!

I'm currently a graduate student studying art creation for games at The Guildhall at SMU. This is a two-month project intended to help us focus on a specialization of our choosing; my project is about concept art. I will be concepting four armor sets, with male and female variants, for a total of eight final model sheets. I will be pursuing a hand-painted fantasy style, in the theme of Diablo, World of Warcraft, Torchlight, etc. While this is a good opportunity to practice emulating existing art styles, my primary goals are good design, rendering practice, and effective use of color.

I will update periodically with my progress, and welcome critique at every stage of the project.

To kick off the thread, here are the thumbnails - please feel free to share your thoughts on the designs, to mix elements from different thumbs, do paintovers... any advice is welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of these are nicer than others, but my overall crit to you would be that I don't feel any sort of linkage between any of them. I don't feel like they would be part of the same culture or 'world'.

I think the problem is some of these very clearly draw on specific cultures for inspiration and others don't and it just feels like a big mixed bag of costume design ideas, and not like anything that is particularly unified or part of the same project.

Also, you have 4 classes, 5 designs each, and two genders. That's a minimum of 40 images if you only show fronts. I'd pick the best 2 of each class and make sure you show sides and backs as well, unless you really do have enough time to do all of what you have here.

Best wishes,

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look fine. My only immediate thought is that a lot of the armored ones look like they'd be hard to move in--you might want to consider how those plates are going to bind against each other when the figure moves his/her limbs.

That said, it's competent product in the extremely-familiar WoW/WoTC style. I must say that I were an art director looking at student portfolios, I think I'd be getting reaalllly tired of seeing that kind of work. You might want to consider moving in some direction that will help your stuff stand out a bit more.

As always, just my two cents.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny how these get better looking and more refined as the sheet goes along.

Anyway, would say that the main problems with it are that they're referenced from vastly different cultures while their tie-in points are somewhat lacking - although, with a diverse enough world, that wouldn't be too much of a problem in itself.

Another is that the armour looks downright unnatural at points, and it clashes with the rest of the costume - one one of them, though I saw heavy plated armour boots and a light leather tunic above it? I don't know, you might want to research the aesthetic design process, from a mechanical viewpoint, of a suit of armour. They look pretty, yes, functional, not so much.

And yeah, to +1 the guy above me, this sort of work is somewhat lacking in originality in a view explored field of interest. It would be getting boring, so you'll be wanting to inquire a more surprising spin on the fantasy-medieval universe.

However, it's not bad work. I liked it, anyway.

Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lintire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments so far!

A quick clarification - these are just preliminary thumbnails, which will be iterated upon and finalized during the coming weeks. The idea behind posting them is to get some feedback on which specific design is the strongest in a set, and I'll choose that one as the "final," which will be revised based on crit, iterated upon, and eventually painted from several views (front, back, side). I won't be painting all of these thumbs.

@Truepinkas: Thanks for your suggestions. Right now the concepts are all over the place, since I was just brainstorming shapes. I'll take that into consideration when I choose a final design from each set, and make an effort to make them all more visually cohesive. If you happen to visit this thread again in the next couple of days, I'd love to hear which class/number combinations you think are the stronger ones ("hunter 3" or "mage 5", etc).

@Giacomo and Lintire: Thank you! It's always a struggle knowing exactly what to do with concepts; we're told to match company's styles, because they want you to fit in with their existing teams, but you need to distinguish yourself somehow as well. I don't know the answer yet, but hopefully I'll figure it out along the way.

Functionality has been mentioned several times with these thumbs, and I'll be doing more research to address that in future iterations. While I'm pursuing a fantasy style and not a historic style, that doesn't mean that the armor can get away with being blatantly illogical. I think balancing "exaggerated epic fantasy" with "how does that guy even move in that?" is going to be a big challenge with this project.

My WIP | My CA Sketchbook | My Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnails of final designs, with basic colors applied. (The designs aren't so dramatically different between genders to warrant two thumbs each, hence only four.)

Now to start linework on the model sheets themselves...

Attached Images Attached Images  

My WIP | My CA Sketchbook | My Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great amount of work man. Don't really know what to comment at the time but try to use less flat colours. Keep up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks OK.

The colors seem overly murky and grey to me. if it were me, I'd colorize the underdrawing somehow so I had a brighter base to paint on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see some potential from what you have so far, but I would like for you to do something that's much more distinctive than what you have so far. By the way, that colored paladin reminds me of Valkyrie Profile with the aesthetics and color choices.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can see some game influences here, rangers FABLE, Knights- "Heroes of might and magic",but anway its a pretty good design,expecially like the magic users

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Members who have read this thread: 1