Art: new here + first post

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new here + first post

Hi everyone!

I'm new here at conceptart.org and I'm putting up my first sketch. would like to get honest opinions on it since i'm new to the whole concept art world. I'm 32 and a working architect but would like to become better at somethign I've always liked to do since i was a kid, concept art. Its been a long while since I've sketched freely. Architecture can be so restrictive. Bombarding myself with books and vid tutorials in the little free time i have after work and spending time with my 1 yr old son. I'm overwhelmed and humbled by the talent here especially the younger ones. I hope I can learn with you all.

If I'm posting in the wrong place, I'm sorry, because I dont quite understand where things go in the various sub-forums. just please redirect me.

This next piece is a sketch over a previous work which I cannot credit because I honestly dont know who it belongs to. I wanted to re-conceptualize superman's costume and provide it with some sort basis. I ended up designing a reimagined Kryptonian look which will eventually provide the reason behind a new superman design.

So this is Superman's father Jor-El. Jor-El was a scientist. Stuck with the standard white used for jor-el and the kryptonians, but changed its form to have a low wide-open patel that reveals the logo of each house of krypton. notice the shape of the open jacket is has the basis of the diamond form. Whats also bugged me is that the "S" of superman was supposed to be the an alien character [that of the house of el] but the coiincidence that it looks like an earthly "s" is ridiculous. I took another canon version of the S from the comic books and placed it in a non-diamond form. The new outline of the logo seems plausible i think ....and...hints at the shape of a shirt being torn wide open by clark kent in the future.

If its a faux pas to post thigns that are resigned over previous pieces please let me know. Again, I have the intention to credit the original piece I designed over, but honestly dont know who it is.

Would be nice to get opinions on the concept and the technique [or lack of ]. I'm not a big superman fan myself, but am interested to hear opinions from superman fans. Thanks all.

new here + first post
    below is the original that i painted over
    new here + first post

Last edited by [o]; October 29th, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the following is a sketch on a post-it. just practicing after having gone through a scott robertson tutorial.

didnt know where i was going with this but ended up feeling like a cockpit would ruin it. so i didnt add one and called it a science rover named "the turtle"

looks much better before scanning though.

new here + first post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a character concept that i'm deeply working on complete with backstory.

this is just the leg. its a muscle enhancment of the quads. the wide proportions of the quads is intentional and is a reference to an old lebanese traditional clothes [similar to mc hammer pants]. taken major muscles and outlined them in the muscle enhancing covers.

new here + first post

studies of the lower leg design. felt an old school black boot would do well to ground the sci-fi-ish upper leg. i've added a split toe design to emphasize on stealth aspect. circular discs on the ankle to provide connection to the discs on the hips nad on the bag side of the calf muscle [which has the white muscle enhancement material woven into the boot] there is a circular nerve signal amplifier which will be a bright blue light in a final painting...

new here + first post

composite of both

new here + first post

Last edited by [o]; October 29th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is simply the coolest sup I have ever seen, what in the blazes is DC waiting for to hire a guy like you and fucking change the current superman's wacky suit for something this badass.

Well done man you are amazing. Sigh... a total new guy comes in and made stuff like that, I'm so hopeless!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrhugecojones For This Useful Post:

[o]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, stick that hard on back in your pants. It's nice, but Wow, your in love.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thescala For This Useful Post:

[o]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thescala View Post
    Wow, stick that hard on back in your pants. It's nice, but Wow, your in love.
    hehe. on which one?

and any other advice?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No disrespect, but this thread belongs in the WIP's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    No disrespect, but this thread belongs in the WIP's
    no problem. thanks for telling me. how can we get that done?

actually im not sure if this goes in WIP or sketchbook. whats the difference?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're right, either one, but a mod handles that. Theres never one around when you need one :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

[o]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.