Thanks

Mental Mind Blocks?

Hey everyone! New here, but anyways... How do you all get past those droughts of inspiration and lack of ideas?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Life.

(this answer is very ZEN.)
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Two shots of rubbing alcohol and then off to the bar to start a fight!
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i'm new too so i think that makes us awesome

when i'm having trouble i just go into practice mode. draw simple stuff, draw stuff i haven't ever tried to draw, draw animals, finish stuff you never finished, just whatever. or just take a break from it all for a while. it will eventually kick back in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to everydayartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Hang about these forums, look at the sketchbooks and finally finished thread as well as some of the pros personal websites. I find all of that very inspirational and motivating.

Surround yourself with stuff that excites you and makes you want to be an artist, collect art!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is it me or am I seeing a lot of these sort of posts around here lately? Is there some sort of a global productive congestion illness going around.

Not trying to sound grumpy as I myself have had a huge block over these past few months. Something in the water maybe?

Anyway back to work.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I slam my face repeatedly into the nearest objects and/or people until the ideas magically come up into my mind. The resulting pictures are usually some shade of purple.

In all seriousness, I sit down and doodle, then work my way up to another full-blown drawing - my blocks are usually the result of expecting myself to produce soemthing, well, really good (therefore taking lots of time) and that usually turns me off the idea of actually drawing. That's just how I deal with it, but it does seem to work for a few people, so eh.

As for inspiration, life, and experiencing it (be it via outside or the internet) usually does the trick. Video games are a personal favourite of mine :3
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lintire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
    Hey everyone! New here, but anyways... How do you all get past those droughts of inspiration and lack of ideas?
    Suggestions:

- go someplace boring and poke your brain with a stick until it delivers
    - go to one of the community activity forums here and start working your way backwards through the DSG or CHOWs or whatever
    - during times when you're swimming in ideas and can't possibly finish them all write everything down. Then when you're lacking ideas open up your notebook, pick one and start working
    - take longer to do pictures so you use fewer ideas
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This may not be what everyone will think, but I found a few things helped me.

1) go out and LIVE life. Don't just watch it, go get involved in things. Experiences can really fuel your artistic muses. Do something fun you've never done before, go to concerts, go do anything you can think of and just try!

2) Practicing from references - you're focusing on something and if your creative juices aren't flowing at least you are able to see what you're drawing so it feels easier to do.

3) Reading - I always found reading fiction gets me wanting to draw.

4) And sometimes you just need to push through it. It doesn't always have to just be naturally there. If you just do somethings when you feel like it, you'll never get very far. Sometimes all it takes is a push and you are back to feeling inspired.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardescoere View Post
    This may not be what everyone will think, but I found a few things helped me.

1) go out and LIVE life. Don't just watch it, go get involved in things. Experiences can really fuel your artistic muses. Do something fun you've never done before, go to concerts, go do anything you can think of and just try!

2) Practicing from references - you're focusing on something and if your creative juices aren't flowing at least you are able to see what you're drawing so it feels easier to do.

3) Reading - I always found reading fiction gets me wanting to draw.

4) And sometimes you just need to push through it. It doesn't always have to just be naturally there. If you just do somethings when you feel like it, you'll never get very far. Sometimes all it takes is a push and you are back to feeling inspired.
    Tha'ts what I said...just with out exposition.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Tha'ts what I said...just with out exposition.
    I was trying not to be caught replying while at work lol! I didn't read the other replies. I maybe should have mentioned that.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hahaha just curious how other people approach it that's all... and does anyone know how to post pictures in a thread?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Turn your creative work-flow into a well structured process that is used within plenty of time to complete a project. When everything you do before actually creating something becomes second-nature, that's less to worry about. It frees you up to concentrate on the subject itself rather than everything else involved. If you're not stressing over a deadline and aren't worried about setting up documents, how to pull them off, etc then your mind probably won't get jammed up as often if at all.

And art is also about feelings too. When you can't think, feel instead.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always find that looking at other artist's work can be very inspiring and motivating. Watching nature documentaries or reading a book can get me wanting to grab a pencil and start drawing. I think sometimes, just mindlessly doodling can be a great way to get going on something as well.

With all there is in the world, its hard not to find yourself without something to draw.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to shrunkendesigner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try to look at something new, someone said creativity is about connectin dots. So, more different aspects you look at, more dots you have to link 'em up.
    I subscribed thousands of blogs via google reader, architect, industrial design, advertising, productivity... But now I am drowned by them
    Product Design Blog <~ Get some inspirations from it
    Follow me!
    Facebook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to tailor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Push through it.

Seriously, the very least you can do is a mindless study. Go copy a master painting, or study values from a photograph, or something. You don't have to be super creative 100% of the time, in fact that would probably be rather unhealthy. When you've got nothin', go do a boring academic exercise.

If you don't come up with something creative in time, the boredom of technical exercises will make you creative just for the relief.

When academic exercises don't appeal to you, do something artistically crazy. Ever try an abstract painting? Go all Pollock on a canvas. Try cartooning. Channel the inner Beardsley and draw a whole lot of dick. Something different.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lolz so true

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 916 Posts
    When ever I get that feeling of angst, where I start to dispair that my pictures are missing something, or I am sapped of inspiration- A little voice in the back of my head tells me to man up.

I kid you not.
    It really does, and then suddenly I just get up, pick up the nearest batch of paper and just draw like crazy.

Don't ever let 'mind blocks' win. If you're having problems coming up with an amazingly inspirational piece in minutes, then think through it.
    What will the subject be?
    What do I want the mood to be?
    Where will it be? Weather? Expression? Lighting? Colours?

Simple things like that, until you get a good idea.

DON'T let a little thing like art block stop you doing something.

And in the worst case, you can use that time to study art. Look up better artists, scratch up on anatomy and the basics. Whenever you have free time to draw, use it. No exceptions.

Anyways, good luck!
    - Sketchbook -
    Cheers

Thanks
    I used this answer to make a post on my blog with pictures

I try several things.

Brainstorming words, grab a notebook and just start writing words, funny words scary words, nouns, adverbs, if you know what theme you are wanting to do art for do words that go along with that. if you want to do a piece with a clown, start brainstorming ideas on paper, then you can mix and match, suddenly you look down and see elephant over here and juggling chainsaws over there and you write them down together, elephant juggling chainsaws, then you add another thing or two, and you've got "clown elephant juggling chainsaws on the tightrope." ok there's one idea that sounds fun to do a thumbnail drawing. Get several of those ideas, then either pick your favorite or ask others which they like best and do that one.

If you have a format that you have to fit (a circle, a 3x9 rectangle, 8x10 vertical, square, etc.), I like to go into Adobe illustrator and make a sheet of the shape in the exact proportion. I make the shape white or clear and give it a black stroke. This forces me to deal with the composition while I sketch. Try and do your sketches small and quick. Working small will help you to not get bogged down in the details. Fill a page or more with different approaches (try out different points of view, different emotions, etc). Don’t worry at this point that you don't remember exactly what a chainsaw looks like. Just get the jest of it, even if nobody else looking at your drawing could figure out what it is. It’s helping you transition from words to pictures.

Hopefully now you have a little drawing or drawings that you like. If you have more than one try combining them, you can do this with scissors and tape and a copy machine or in the computer. (If you don't have any sketches you like you might want to try one of the other ideas you brainstormed.) Move things around and change it until you are happy with the overal layout.

Now go get reference! That chainsaw needs to look like a chainsaw. Google works pretty well for some things. But, if there are people in your scenes grab a camera and a friend and have them get into the right position, take a picture with the digital camera and pull that up on the screen. Now on your screen you've got an elephant, a chainsaw, a tightrope, and maybe a photo of a friend doing the pose up on the screen.

Blow up your layout on a copy machine or the computer and throw some tracing paper over it. I've been using my screen as a light table recently, taping the tracing paper to the screen and ghosting back the sketch in Photoshop. But you could do that on a light table if you have one. Now you should be able to tighten up your drawing and improve it, add detail, get the expression right, etc. you should end up with a pretty cool drawing on tracing paper.

Now take that off the screen or light table or whatever and tape it to a white board. Scan it or take a photo. You can fine-tune it in Photoshop: clean up the line work, cut and paste, move things around, scale them, breaking things out into layers will make for easier manipulation. Once you get that drawing rocking post it on an art forum like conceptart.org in the critique center and get feedback. You can probably do the tweaks in the computer.

Ok, you're ready to paint! Have fun.

Also find what gets you're creative juices going that isn't distracting. Try listening to music, audio books, movie sound tracks, podcasts, ambient music, atmospheric music, etc. maybe what works on one day won't work on another. It's good to develop a 'bag of tricks' to get you through. I like listening to movie sound tracks, like Indiana Jones. or listening to audio books while I paint. They keep my left-brain occupied. But if I’m working on the brainstorming or writing, I’d rather listen to ambient music or soundtracks.

Through some trial and error you can find what works for you. Just don’t say, oh I’m most productive while I’m watching ‘the Simpsons’ and not realize that you’ve say there for thirty minutes and not done any work. You’ve got to find what makes you the most productive.

, Steven
    Last edited by Crawley; November 5th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    MAN UP
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just do it. Push through.
    Last edited by OHI; November 7th, 2010 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks
    Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, if you are just practicing, try doing a piece for your portfolio or doing a life study.

For your portfolio piece try to investigate what market you are trying to enter, comic books, books, video games, board games, magazines, etc, and do a research of that specific market to see what is on demand, store as many images as you need on the subject, then do something that meets those demand needs (by demand I mean the kind of artwork that is used to sell products, for example space marines for sci-fi video games).
    That way you'll know exactly what to do.