Thanks

Is being comfy important when doing art ?

So in my whole art carrer i have never felt comfy( comfortable ) so i dont know if that is holding me back or is it that important,

My main problem is that i write on my knees and i need to move my head at 4oclock to see my monitor cause i bend my knees and write, its because my baby size desk and i cant put my legs under the PC desk lol.

So is it important ?

And not to mention that i eat,work sleep , in my kitchen where there are 10 people allways doing something behind my back

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think that being uncomfortable would take part of your mind away from drawing, honestly. Whether it is holding you back is something only you could say. But I definitely notice a difference in my attention span for drawing/reading/gaming etc when I am uncomfortable vs comfortable.

I think that the constant noise/distractions behind you can't be helpful either. I've noticed that my productivity went down when I moved in to the city in a small house with three animals and another person from a large house in the country. Space and noise because issues and it went down.

So I'd say if possible could you move the computer to your bedroom or somewhere quiet and focus on your art there away from distractions? Or perhaps if you're drawing with graphite could you do it in a more comfortable space than on your knees in front of a desk?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardescoere View Post
    I think that being uncomfortable would take part of your mind away from drawing, honestly. Whether it is holding you back is something only you could say. But I definitely notice a difference in my attention span for drawing/reading/gaming etc when I am uncomfortable vs comfortable.

I think that the constant noise/distractions behind you can't be helpful either. I've noticed that my productivity went down when I moved in to the city in a small house with three animals and another person from a large house in the country. Space and noise because issues and it went down.

So I'd say if possible could you move the computer to your bedroom or somewhere quiet and focus on your art there away from distractions? Or perhaps if you're drawing with graphite could you do it in a more comfortable space than on your knees in front of a desk?
    THanks for posting, i mean i just sit on my desk and in a few minutes my head,neck ,and stuff starts hurting me and i just go to sleep cause i am so bored, depresed or something like that.

Well the problem is that my room is actually the Kitchen xD, my bed and PC are there so i cant more anywhere, well when i am working with a graphite i just go in the other room and draw but i dont draw so ofter, only doing digital art for now,

Btw just made an ugly sketch of my position, hope you see my problem xD

Thanks
    Maybe you could move your computer to the kitchen table? it should at least allow your legs to fit under the tabletop and you could be in a much more natural position?

Thanks
    Maybe you could move your computer to the kitchen table? it should at least allow your legs to fit under the tabletop and you could be in a much more natural position?
    haha i thought about that but that table is reserved for dinner xD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    The pain will only get worse as you get older. Improve things now, being in constant pain affects your life in a thousand negative ways.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    I don't get it. Why are you writing on your knees? Move the tablet off the desk and write there. When you want to use the tablet put it back on the desk. Or are you writing and painting at the same time?

Thanks
    Then I think you need to discuss the issue with others in the house Because you'll probably get some form of permanent chronic pain injury if you keep up that way. It's not good for you and could actually make art impossible for you some day. Like Vineris said, fix it now.

Thanks
    I fatigue headaches and a not-ideal workspace have been my constant struggle. I recently got a far more ideal workspace than I've ever had - now I'm just dealing with the mood issue.

Check it, food for thought:

Maslow proposed that this was the order of importance the self gives to... stuff. Starting from the bottom and working up. Certainly not set in stone (I have a wonderful, loving girlfriend but I still get pretty insatiably hungry sometimes).

Mostly, I focus on the bottom one - if my physiological needs are not taken care of: hunger, comfort (heat is a big one), wellness, etc, then it's about 100x harder for me to get off my to do anything aside from taking care of those things.
    MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

Thanks
    I guess it isn't technically important, but why would you tolerate it?

You're going to be sitting there working for a while, right? It's like sleeping on a bed of nails and asking if it's important to be comfortable when trying to sleep.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Get a table that your legs actually fit under, you don't need a computer desk, any crappy 20 year old table from a second hand store that will support a monitor etc will do.

Edit: if it's only an LCD monitor a few bits of fibreboard and some nails would do you, possibly a heavy cardboard box and duct tape..

Working continually in a cramped, unnatural position is a bad idea, as well as being annoying, it's just asking for back problems etc.
    Last edited by Flake; October 28th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    it is important. If you are uncomfortable, then you won't be in the mood to create. I would do more oil paintings, but the area I have to work in is very uncomfortable, so I never do oil paintings anymore.

Thanks
    Raoul, did you not have a nice outdoors area set up?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Judging by how uncomfortable drawing horses are, id say it's not so important...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Isn't it just a little unusual to have a kitchen as your bedroom? I can see why you're bored/depressed if you have no privacy.

If I were in your position, I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay, or maybe asking a friend if I could use my computer at their place if I helped toward the internet bill.

Thanks
    Flake-it's an outdoor toolshed/storage area. The lighting is horrible at night which is when my brain really starts kickin. Wind knocks shit around. I can't leave reference laying around. My lawnchair is too low, my stool is too high. Dew collects on my sketchbook. There's no place for company. The sun beats down on me in the afternoon. my laptop doesn't display images very well outside during the day.

I know all of this sounds bitchy, but it's enough to get me out of the mood.

Thanks
    Na, I'm more than familiar with "less than ideal" painting area..

Regarding the horrible lighting at night, could you throw a daylight spectrum bulb in there? I have one that's a hippy energy saver draining about 10w, apparently equivalent to a 100w regular but seriously, it's like a miniature sun in the room and you can't look at it for more than a few seconds..

For the runaway reference I find Blu-Tack to be the answer. It's like Duct tape, it will fix things it's inventors never dreamed of..

Anyway, just thinking out loud, if it's not working for you, well it's not working.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Dude, if you can't draw while supporting yourself one-handed, upside down, doing push-ups, outside, naked in -5 degree weather, then forget it. You'll never be an artist. And no erasing, either!!!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My workspace is a 2mx2m room, half of which is taken up by a laundry tub (and until recently the place smelt like cat crap, too), so yeah, I can sympathize. Unfortunately, have not taken any steps to correct my situation (because, well, I'm lazy) but I would advise to take a step back and see if it's impeding on your productivity. If it is, then lament and go somewhere online and whine about it, because chances are you probably won't be able to do anything about and you may as well derive some satisfaction from your predicament.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    You don't need to be comfortable when your sketching... unless you draw like one of these freaks who draw in vector graphics . Otherwise you are re-evaluating your line before this limited gain of accuracy could affect it.

However, i think it is important to be uncomfortable in life in order to have anything important to say with your art. But i guess that is another topic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    However, i think it is important to be uncomfortable in life in order to have anything important to say with your art. But i guess that is another topic.
    Call me crazy, but this idea seems a bit silly to me.

Why would a person purposefully make their life uncomfortable to make their art better? It just doesn't match up. I mean yeah the stereotype of a tortured artist exists, but how many famous "tortured artists" purposely ruined their lives to make their art better?

I think practice and taking an intellectual approach to ones art is a lot more reliable than looking at the stereotype of the tortured artist and trying to replicate it.

There's plenty of things wrong with this world, or right about the world to speak about in art without intentionally sabotaging ones own life. The whole idea just seems far sighted and desperate to me.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    yeah its important... logically if you're gonna sit there for hours then you wanna be as comfortable as possible. good chair, good light, good temperature, good keyboard and all that stuff. if you're uncomfortable its just gonna distract you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    You don't need to be comfortable when your sketching... unless you draw like one of these freaks who draw in vector graphics . Otherwise you are re-evaluating your line before this limited gain of accuracy could affect it.

Seems a little pretentious to me to say such a thing. Do all of the concept artists and illustrators of the world struggle with their internal demons to design a space marine? Come on.

Even if we remove that entire talent pool and speak strictly of fine art, there are plenty of artists that have a ton of things to say through their art that aren't emotionally troubled.

Craola Simkins comes to mind. I worked with him several years ago and I can tell you from experience that he's one of the happiest artists I've ever met. The man truly loves life and his art shows that. Google him if you aren't aware of him and you'll see how silly your statement is.
    Last edited by Dusty; October 29th, 2010 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    The pain will only get worse as you get older. Improve things now, being in constant pain affects your life in a thousand negative ways.

Hmm so many replies, well i know its just that i cant do shit in my situation , no job no money etc, and my neck hurts after sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    I don't get it. Why are you writing on your knees? Move the tablet off the desk and write there. When you want to use the tablet put it back on the desk. Or are you writing and painting at the same time?
    because its more comfy that way, the LADY leg position if you know what i mean xD,

Then I think you need to discuss the issue with others in the house Because you'll probably get some form of permanent chronic pain injury if you keep up that way. It's not good for you and could actually make art impossible for you some day. Like Vineris said, fix it now.
    i mean what can i do, the kitchen is the only available room in my house, my sister ocupied the BIG ROOM -_-;;
    Well i can tolerate some pain but my mood and will is so low, i cant even sit on the chair for 30 min without loosing will to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by karmiclychee View Post
    I fatigue headaches and a not-ideal workspace have been my constant struggle. I recently got a far more ideal workspace than I've ever had - now I'm just dealing with the mood issue.

Check it, food for thought:

Maslow proposed that this was the order of importance the self gives to... stuff. Starting from the bottom and working up. Certainly not set in stone (I have a wonderful, loving girlfriend but I still get pretty insatiably hungry sometimes).

Mostly, I focus on the bottom one - if my physiological needs are not taken care of: hunger, comfort (heat is a big one), wellness, etc, then it's about 100x harder for me to get off my to do anything aside from taking care of those things.
    the mood is my biggest problem, i dont even listen to music anymore and i got no will, btw dont get this topic as a way for me to complain cause i dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    I guess it isn't technically important, but why would you tolerate it?

You're going to be sitting there working for a while, right? It's like sleeping on a bed of nails and asking if it's important to be comfortable when trying to sleep.
    haha good example, i would have bought a new PC desk but unfortunatly i got no room for it, i mean my DESK is just on the Right side of the DOOR and i can barelly open the door cause of my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Get a table that your legs actually fit under, you don't need a computer desk, any crappy 20 year old table from a second hand store that will support a monitor etc will do.

Edit: if it's only an LCD monitor a few bits of fibreboard and some nails would do you, possibly a heavy cardboard box and duct tape..

Working continually in a cramped, unnatural position is a bad idea, as well as being annoying, it's just asking for back problems etc.
    Post above

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    it is important. If you are uncomfortable, then you won't be in the mood to create. I would do more oil paintings, but the area I have to work in is very uncomfortable, so I never do oil paintings anymore.
    yea, i know i am idk giving 60% of my current skills, if i were in a good enviroment with a good mood i would give my best

Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    Isn't it just a little unusual to have a kitchen as your bedroom? I can see why you're bored/depressed if you have no privacy.

If I were in your position, I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay, or maybe asking a friend if I could use my computer at their place if I helped toward the internet bill.
    aha well that wouldnt be a problem if someone of my friends had a space of their own, everyone lives with their parents xd

Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    Dude, if you can't draw while supporting yourself one-handed, upside down, doing push-ups, outside, naked in -5 degree weather, then forget it. You'll never be an artist. And no erasing, either!!!
    you are talking about ART Carrer ??? cause i am doing this just as a hoby, art education and usage in my country is 0 so i got no use for it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lintire View Post
    My workspace is a 2mx2m room, half of which is taken up by a laundry tub (and until recently the place smelt like cat crap, too), so yeah, I can sympathize. Unfortunately, have not taken any steps to correct my situation (because, well, I'm lazy) but I would advise to take a step back and see if it's impeding on your productivity. If it is, then lament and go somewhere online and whine about it, because chances are you probably won't be able to do anything about and you may as well derive some satisfaction from your predicament.
    Haa yea i am totally lazy but for 3 years i have been doing all my stuff on this crappy desk.
    Money brings mood and happines xD

Quote Originally Posted by bara View Post
    yeah its important... logically if you're gonna sit there for hours then you wanna be as comfortable as possible. good chair, good light, good temperature, good keyboard and all that stuff. if you're uncomfortable its just gonna distract you.
    Did i mention that i sit on a Plastic picniq chair ?? xD

And where did all the fun go, when i started coloring stuff 3 years ago i ennjoyed it so much, made 20 images dailly and i loved it, and now that feeling is gone, i aint happy at all when i am making something.
    Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bara View Post
    /agree
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    It is important to be able to work when you are somewhat uncomfortable and learn to adapt if you want to do field sketches or pain air painting. But sometimes when I do field sketching in an uncomfortable manner the tendons in my hand get tremors. I just had to learn to adjust to the situation and settle down in a less than ideal angle and take artistic liberties for the composition, even memorize what I started and finish up at home.

Thanks
    Being comfortable isn't vital. Being healthy, including decent ergonomics, is.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    "you are talking about ART Carrer ??? cause i am doing this just as a hoby, art education and usage in my country is 0 so i got no use for it here."

The goal isn't necessarily hobbyist or a career artist. The goal is being the next Da Vinci. Now, drop and give me twenty! Gesture sketches, that is.