Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Badass Artists

Thanks

Smile Badass Artists

Who is the most badass artist in your opinion? It can be any kind of artist, a sculptor, painter, sketch artist etc. Their badassery should not be determined by their art but by their personality and actions.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Based only on a few scant sightings I would have to say Android definitely possesses a certain amount of badassery. Performing live with a title like "The Apocalyptic Art Shaman", making journeys through Tibet to paint the Karmapa and that bloody incredible get up he sports. A slung tablet like a guitar and a glove full of pencils. Mr.Jones we salute you.

Badass Artists

Badass Artists
    CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    As mentioned in another thread, Christo and Richard Serra are the only artists I'm aware of whose work has actually killed people. You don't get more badass than that.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Elwell: What happened?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 334 Posts

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Tehmeh: Yeah, he is pretty badass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    As mentioned in another thread, Christo and Richard Serra are the only artists I'm aware of whose work has actually killed people. You don't get more badass than that.
    A claim to fame shared by one Maurice Agis, who managed a double whammy...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ay-409116.html

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Samwise Didier is such a badass

Badass Artists Badass Artists

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gustave Dore!
    Here is my Sketchbook. Please have a look if you have time. Thanks.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119105

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UCT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your face is a badass artist.
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    caravaggio will fuckin shank ya, just to see the look on your face.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; October 26th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Michealangelo.

HE PAINTED A FREAKING CEILING!

Show me someone who painted with that much detail on that grand of a scale and have it immortalized.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

23. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    steve huston was a golden gloves boxer. His scrappin skills shows in his paintings. He must have been a fan of the right cross.
    Badass Artists
    Badass Artists
    Badass Artists
    Badass Artists

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Badass Artists

Thomas Kincade is pretty badass too.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan_B For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Jackson Pollock. Had the personality and all-around class of a barracuda on PCP...especially with other guy's girlfriends...whether he knew them or not...

Did I mention he was a real pig?
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Picasso was pretty Badass. That guy played by his own rules and didn't give a f**k what anybody thought. Dude acted like a rock star (and clearly has brass balls).

Attachment 1089617

Attachment 1089618

Attachment 1089619

Attachment 1089620

Attachment 1089621
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Every graffiti artist willing to risk thier life and freedom take back the urban landscapes by force. Art space that should belong to the people, not the advertising giants.
    Absolute badasses.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pinback: What is the difference between a graffiti artist and a vandalist? Does the graffiti artists give their art meaning by making it into a message? I know a couple of people who does graffiti. Some of them say that they are doing it to bring a message. The other half just like to make pretty pictures. Both of halfs make the same kind of art in the same places. Yet one half is considered artist while the other is considered vandalist. I for one like all the graffiti.

Thanks
    I agree with Pinback - graffiti artists are pretty much modern-day art rebels, taking the art space away from the capitalists and handing it back to the people. Hell, apparently graffiti has existed back since Rome as a form of artistic and political expression, so they get my vote.

As for individual artists, though, I don't actually know any.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    This idolising of Graffiti artists evidently springs from a lack of first hand contact with them and their conduct and style. We have a plague of them round here, and you cannot move for seeing Fuck scrawled in crimson on every flat surface, or ugly gang tags. And taking back advertising space? So the fence next to our house is advertising space? The green where the kids play is advertising space? The street painting of the White Hart is advertising space?

While I will acknowledge the existence of excellent street artists such as the ubiquitous Mr.Banksy, I think an idealised view of these (often aggressive) vandals is dangerous.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OHI View Post
    Pinback: What is the difference between a graffiti artist and a vandalist?
    Nothing and encase you didn't notice your trashcan I keep dumping all over your yard. Vandalism is bad ass!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordus View Post
    While I will acknowledge the existence of excellent street artists such as the ubiquitous Mr.Banksy, I think an idealised view of these (often aggressive) vandals is dangerous.
    Vandals are different. Bored kids, scribbling on walls to idle away the time. Nobody is talking about them when they're talking about graffiti art, and in my eyes the difference between the two has always been motive - a graffiti artists seeks to portray a message, a semblance of an imprint on society while doing it in an artistic and stylish matter.

A vandal is just that, a vandal. No real artistic motivation at all.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    i think Dali

41. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    This idolising of Graffiti artists evidently springs from a lack of first hand contact with them and their conduct and style.
    1) I am a graffiti artist, I don't idolize myelf or any other graffiti artist. I'll also have you know I've been involved with many legal graffiti mural commissions, paid for by my local council. These projects are widely enjoyed and loved by the community. I have young and old approaching me when I paint, and 99% of the time they love the art, and what it brings to the urban landscape.
    The council even hired me to teach graffiti classes at the local community centre- where I would show kids the basics of aerosol art, and also ethics of graffiti, or my version thereof.
    Basically I tell these kids not to paint random fences like yours- or any private property for that matter. I tell them to try and get legal walls with permission, and that if they must paint illegally (Which I don't condone among my students) then to be bloody careful. In fact I tell them to be extra careful of vigilantes who might hurt them, vigilantes that posess your type of mindset, Mordus.

2) It's quite a generalization you're making here if you're saying that all graffiti arists have bad conduct. I have met many very friendly graffiti artists. Some of the people I care most about on this planet are graff artists, and they are the best people I have ever known. Honest, hardworking, caring.
    Hell, I'd take a bullet for most of the graffers I know.
    Yes, some are bad. This is the case with most any group of people. Some good, some dull, and some bad.

While I will acknowledge the existence of excellent street artists such as the ubiquitous Mr.Banksy, I think an idealised view of these (often aggressive) vandals is dangerous
    Often aggresive? How many real writers have you met?
    I've met hundreds, and I can tell you from experience that they are not the pack of rabid dogs you make them out to be.

Also, I personally find Banksy's work to be highly overrated, and somewhat bland and depressing.

Here's a few real graff artists for ye. Just a few artists I like. Totem 2, Seak and Lady Pink. Note the dedication on Lady Pink's piece. From what I can make out it seems to be for someone named Joanna, and a mention of being loved or something? Mmm, Lady Pink must have been feeling really aggressive to write something like that!
    NOT!

Oh and sorry about the rant, but down here they are making it illegal for people under 18 to buy spray paint, even for legal murals. Somebody has got to make a stand. For art's sake.
    I wrote the lawmakers. They didn't listen.
    Last edited by Pinback; October 28th, 2010 at 09:26 AM.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    re graffiti, I found this site the other day, quite cool.
    http://www.otherthings.com/grafarc/index.html

Thanks
    I am well aware of legal graffiti. I am well aware I was making a generalisation I should not have. I myself have been witness to our local council-commissioned graffer "Mr.Cenz" at work on several murals which, while not to my taste, I can appreciate the quality of. But there must be a clear separation between graffiti ARTISTS and graffiti VANDALS. And as for the restriction of spraypaint to those under 18, that sounds awful. I am on the side of the graffiti artists, I just hate seeing people hail graffiti as a whole.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 916 Posts
    Last year I was looking up graffiti for my art coursework.

Down in Belfast, I've seen walls and walls of awesome graffiti. It looks like they'd called up all these awesome artists to decorate sections of it, it's amazing.
    It's also full of murals and things depicting those two clashing sides, and of course, there's always loads of more disturbing images.

Political tension is always high in Ireland, You go to one place and it's covered with red,white and blue (Ironically looking more like french flags than english ones) and other places where rundown buildings have IRA propaganda over it.

It's sad, but also very interesting.

But in the Isle of man I looked everywhere and all I saw was this scribble on the side of a council house.
    I can't even remember what they'd wrote, but they'd misspelt words in it.

So, Graffiti can be amazing, and stupid at the same time. xD

And also, Dali was such an awesome guy, I'm glad he's already up there.
    - Sketchbook -
    Cheers

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidy View Post
    Last year I was looking up graffiti for my art coursework.

Down in Belfast, I've seen walls and walls of awesome graffiti. It looks like they'd called up all these awesome artists to decorate sections of it, it's amazing.
    It's also full of murals and things depicting those two clashing sides, and of course, there's always loads of more disturbing images.

Political tension is always high in Ireland, You go to one place and it's covered with red,white and blue (Ironically looking more like french flags than english ones) and other places where rundown buildings have IRA propaganda over it.

It's sad, but also very interesting.
    I remember when I was going to university in belfast and I'd go see where the peace wall had been and the murals of the hunger strikers... It always made me really moved. I was horrified these men had starved themselves to death. You can see it in some of the catholic neighbourhoods as well. It's just really interesting, as you said.

Completely different world for a Canadian.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am well aware of legal graffiti. I am well aware I was making a generalisation I should not have. I myself have been witness to our local council-commissioned graffer "Mr.Cenz" at work on several murals which, while not to my taste, I can appreciate the quality of. But there must be a clear separation between graffiti ARTISTS and graffiti VANDALS. And as for the restriction of spraypaint to those under 18, that sounds awful. I am on the side of the graffiti artists, I just hate seeing people hail graffiti as a whole.
    I'm glad to hear you're not down with the restriction of paint sales, but I don't think one really ever can separate graffiti from vandalism completely. I think it's very important for the public at large to know the distinction between the two, but as for separating them...
    If a man was in court for say, painting a mural over some lurid advertising, he could concieveably be sent to jail. He commited a crime, sure, but should he be punished on the same scale as somebody commiting assault against another human being? Hell no he shouldn't.

Here's an example;

http://www.smh.com.au/national/graff...0304-8nxd.html

Luckily the decision to jail a young girl for three months for scrawling a small tag on a cafe wall was overturned by a judge who wasn't evil incarnate. I believe she had no prior convictions either...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast