Sketchbook: Lady the Games Student's Sketchbook - Page 8
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Lady the Games Student's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey

Thank you so much for stopping by my sketchbook! Just checked out a few pages of yours. Looking very good. I see your doing alot of digital works. I just started to semi-attemp digital stuff. Mostly focusing on traditional media for now. Getting the basics down. I would mostly suggest still doing alot of life and anatomy sketches. Keep up the good work. Last post looks sweet!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

I live in Northolt in Central London when I'm not at uni! :D
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe777k7 View Post
    Thank you so much for stopping by my sketchbook! Just checked out a few pages of yours. Looking very good. I see your doing alot of digital works. I just started to semi-attemp digital stuff. Mostly focusing on traditional media for now. Getting the basics down. I would mostly suggest still doing alot of life and anatomy sketches. Keep up the good work. Last post looks sweet!
    Thanks for stopping by mine too! Yeah I've done a lot of digital in the last 2 weeks cos I didn't have my graphics tablet over Christmas and missed it lots. So it's getting a work out right now xD

Yup need to get to work on anatomy again! Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ladyknowles! Nice amount of work, just try to keep the fun

For your progress, I could say that you did some good stuff with painterly approach. Not saying that your line doesn't improve, but I feel the improvement is more noticeable on your digital painting. Your last work, I could already feel some form in the face, especially check part. Nice one! Try to render it more so you could see your "limit" and try to break it...

You're also aiming for concept design, so I'll try to give comment. For the "pick axe" for the batman games/your assignment, it's pretty good since I saw you have creativity and imagination (a must for a designer). But your weak points are in the aspect of 3d thinking/approach (maybe since it's still thumbnail stage) and functionality. For functionality, just imagine "Would it be comfortable if I hold something like that in my hand?" I just realized that when I saw your first pick axes thumb in post #184, especially the one on upper left corner. It's great to try the wildest stuff in your imagination, but kinda "what's the point if you couldn't use it" when you realize it (after all, batman would use that pick axe not just stare at it, wouldn't he? )

- Read the word in this website (http://www.autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm) and try to apply the principle on your design
    - For constructional drawing/thinking in 3d, I suggest you check this videos by Feng Zhu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbfOpIP_UY [part 1]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNhFLcsgh8 [part 2]
    Or search this guy "Lone Wolf" in this forum and see his SB, he got pretty strong 3d approach for vehicle/mecha concept design

Finally don't be too frustrated about your progress. We all feel like that sometimes. Here's the pic to inspire you (I think usually posted by QueenGenevere)
    Name:  improvement2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  88.5 KB

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Don't forget to check out this hot SB too!!
    DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

Finally I met some fellow comrade from Indonesia
    witcrack

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BluezAce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BluezAce View Post
    Hi ladyknowles! Nice amount of work, just try to keep the fun

For your progress, I could say that you did some good stuff with painterly approach. Not saying that your line doesn't improve, but I feel the improvement is more noticeable on your digital painting. Your last work, I could already feel some form in the face, especially check part. Nice one! Try to render it more so you could see your "limit" and try to break it...

You're also aiming for concept design, so I'll try to give comment. For the "pick axe" for the batman games/your assignment, it's pretty good since I saw you have creativity and imagination (a must for a designer). But your weak points are in the aspect of 3d thinking/approach (maybe since it's still thumbnail stage) and functionality. For functionality, just imagine "Would it be comfortable if I hold something like that in my hand?" I just realized that when I saw your first pick axes thumb in post #184, especially the one on upper left corner. It's great to try the wildest stuff in your imagination, but kinda "what's the point if you couldn't use it" when you realize it (after all, batman would use that pick axe not just stare at it, wouldn't he? )

- Read the word in this website (http://www.autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm) and try to apply the principle on your design
    - For constructional drawing/thinking in 3d, I suggest you check this videos by Feng Zhu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbfOpIP_UY [part 1]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNhFLcsgh8 [part 2]
    Or search this guy "Lone Wolf" in this forum and see his SB, he got pretty strong 3d approach for vehicle/mecha concept design

Finally don't be too frustrated about your progress. We all feel like that sometimes. Here's the pic to inspire you (I think usually posted by QueenGenevere)
    Name:  improvement2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  88.5 KB
    Wow man thanks so much for the long reply! You're so helpful. Yes I definately struggle with the 3D side of things and designing. It's ironic because I did 4 years of Product Design before coming to do games design, but I guess it's different in a way anyway!

I'll definitely check out the links tomorrow, it's bed time for me now I think! Thankyou so much

And you just reminded me, I've tried modeling the pick axe in Maya. It's kinda of going ok. I wanted to cry with frustration at it today, but here you go

Its really simple but I'm kinda proud of it in a sad, pathetic way!:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't give up 3d is hard but once you get to that stage when you can use your own 3d models as a base for your 2d work youll be laughing and better than us all. Keep up the great work your product designs are really creative and interesting i need to go through them again.

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaunay View Post
    Don't give up 3d is hard but once you get to that stage when you can use your own 3d models as a base for your 2d work youll be laughing and better than us all. Keep up the great work your product designs are really creative and interesting i need to go through them again.
    Thankyou! Yes I can't wait to be able to do a paintover it'll be fantastic! It's just hard to get your nose stuck in and learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not feeling to good today. So many talented artists...dunno whether it's worth bothering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your environments are good, keep it up. Thank for sharing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mEgA fLeeCe RaIn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey now, don't be all pessimistic. I used to have many 'artistic crisises' myself. But then I thought to myself "Any time I spend whining, I could be spending studying/improving" so any time I feel down, I go get myself a cuppa and do some anatomy studies.

I've just looked through all of your sketchbook, and it's evident you're improving steadily, so don't get put off. Give yourself a small goal to pre-occupy you from thinking negatively. It's your own progress you have to worry about, not everyone else's.

So, with my rambling coming to an end, Just keep up the good work- and post more soon.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mEgA fLeeCe RaIn Thankyou very much, I do love my environments!

@Naidy Yes indeed it was an art crisis Doesn't help that my lecturer keeps getting us all to redo our work, which is time I could be using to do anatomy in such like (Which I really need to spend more time on) Thankyou for your reply, it's encouraging I love it when people post.

Anyway thought you might like to see what I've been doing with my time that hasn't be spent on anatomy unfortunately: My batman presentation sheets:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool 3d model, are you going to texture it? Where do you study games art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmati View Post
    Hey, cool 3d model, are you going to texture it? Where do you study games art?
    Wow thanks man I was going to but I was really struggling Definitely need more help on texturing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for commenting my sb

And I finally found a Pipboy on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerthelord View Post
    thanx for commenting my sb

And I finally found a Pipboy on CA
    Np man! What do you mean? I want a pipboy!

For the mask brief, which I hated at first sight, therefore anything I produced would instantly be crap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lady

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I like that you are doing anatomy studies. They are always a source of fun for me.

You might try to draw certain areas of the body more three dimensionally, as if existing inside of a cube or cylinder. It gives more solidity.

Are you going to turn one of those early thumbnails into a painting?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Spivak000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello lady knowles, you passed by my sketchbook several days ago and just now I'm returning the favor ^^
    I went trough all your sketchbook, you got some realy nice stuffs here and a nice improvement =D
    I realy like the landscapes mainly the one on #208
    I like the painting on #211
    if you are having trouble with thinking in 3d take a look at the vilppu drawing manual it's realy helping me on that
    that's it, keep it up ^^

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey lady,

i did a games course a couple of years ago, at teesside. how are you finding it? mine was mostly 3D modelling and animation. but there were life drawing classes as well.

maybe try to do some longer compositions, spend more time on an individual drawing?

my collaborative

join to me to make beautiful drawings.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Catish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spivak000 View Post
    Hey lady

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I like that you are doing anatomy studies. They are always a source of fun for me.

You might try to draw certain areas of the body more three dimensionally, as if existing inside of a cube or cylinder. It gives more solidity.

Are you going to turn one of those early thumbnails into a painting?
    I may! If I ever get time, I'm so busy being back at uni it's crazy!

@Gof Yes lots have people have recommended this but the books are too expensive for a pauper student like me

@Catish Ooooh wow! Yes I was going to go to Teeside, it was my insurance, but I liked the art-y-ness of UCLAN I'm finding it good, but tiring and frustrating at the same time. I can't improve as fast as I want to and it's hard to find motivation sometimes because there are so many talented people in my class.

Got a new brief today: Working in teams to turn a fairy tale into a game. We're doing undead rapunzel, and here's a WIP to go with it:

I've been feeling really crap this week: anything I draw is horrendous and this is the only semi decent thing I've produced!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the studies keep it up. With each piece you are getting better. I'm currently learning maya in school. It sucks, I know, just have patience with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!

You have some very nice stuff as well! Your improving your digital paintings which is good. Don't give up. Take it as inspiration. You can do it. You have very promising works and keep up those life studies as they will help with human anatomy tremendously. Once you have that down, you can branch off into different styles and techniques. Keep it up and I'm hoping to see more from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresa View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!

You have some very nice stuff as well! Your improving your digital paintings which is good. Don't give up. Take it as inspiration. You can do it. You have very promising works and keep up those life studies as they will help with human anatomy tremendously. Once you have that down, you can branch off into different styles and techniques. Keep it up and I'm hoping to see more from you!
    Wow thankyou a lot I think I needed someone to say this! I've been in the dumps for the past few days, but tonights 4.30 am sketchbook attack has revived my confidence...

@Kapil Yeah Maya sucks, but knowing getting a job in the future relies on you learning it is even worse!

A quick sketch, and I mean QUICK, on photoshop of undead rapunzel. I'm liking this style more than the last. The last was too happy. I have loads of real sketchbook work to show you guys but as always, the scanner is causing problems!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even more Rapunzel! As you can tell it hasn't been a sucessful week so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I looked at your sketchbook the other day when you visited mine (thanks!) and I wanted to comment today... You've done a lot of work in that time!

Btw, I've found that starting off one's day with a bunch of quick studies can really motivate you and get those creative gears turning. It's a lot easier for me to do fun stuff after I've done 20-30 minute long sketches.

Keep up the good work!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Clean3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really great work! And don't worry, I desperately need to do some anatomy studies as well. At least you have excuses, I'm just lazy ha ha. I like your work, keep it up!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please let me help you with making a video game some day, lol. The graph depicting ability vs perceived ability is so true. Would that make inspiration exponential???

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to And All That Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean3d View Post
    Wow! I looked at your sketchbook the other day when you visited mine (thanks!) and I wanted to comment today... You've done a lot of work in that time!

Btw, I've found that starting off one's day with a bunch of quick studies can really motivate you and get those creative gears turning. It's a lot easier for me to do fun stuff after I've done 20-30 minute long sketches.

Keep up the good work!
    Thats a good idea! Seems like being at uni again totally scuppered my drawing routine though

@Kendall Thanks very much! Yup anatomy studies are always hard to keep up with

@And All That Jazz OK then, what kinda game do you wanna make?

Been at home all this weekend in London, so not a lots been done. Been stuck doing power points (The best way to be uninspired) Heres a tube map for you people out of England

Went to the Victoria and Albert Gallery and there was a mini version of David, which I did a sketch of for about 10 minutes

And another Rapunzel drawing on the train:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the landscapes on the previous page. Also, the mohawk is quite cracking. That one really came out of nowhere, eh? Stellar stuff. Do more like that!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to zx52hg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this is a great thread. i second Naidy's good advice; there are very few headfucking crises that cant be improved by a break and a sugary cup of tea

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A fallen hero's suit of armor comes back to life in order to defeat the evil undead repunzel to save his home town from complete massacre. 3rd person adventure with item looking and a persitent upgrade system rewarding players for how they play and how many animal's t shirts you steal.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3