Don't know how to get started :/
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Don't know how to get started :/

Hey guys, so idk what's wrong with me, but I just can't seem to get started on a piece.
    I always have cool imaginations, but never when im sitting in front of my computer
    And when I finally get down and get ready to hit up my tablet, things just dont work. I can never seem to get my pieces "started"

And i feel like in environment pieces, I just can't get the concept of laying down the backgrounds, middle grounds, and foregrounds, and separating them, and making them look cool

I was curious to how you guys usually got started with a piece? It seems that unless I have an 'exact' reference in front of me, I just cant approach it :/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually just overcame the same hurdle as you, so I feel what your saying. For me, the best way to get over that is to use line work to break up the image. I usually just block in color straight off the bat, but when I get stuck I go the paint by numbers route. Everything usually works past that.

It also helps for me to look at work that is completely opposite from mine in terms of style. I love Sparths and Talexi, but when I get stuck I tend to look at alot of disney and dreamworks stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The key is something to do with perspective and blocking in the image, at least that's what I think. I have the same problem as you.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, its a horrible probblem >_<
    thanks guys, ill try that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TutMatt3 View Post
    And i feel like in environment pieces, I just can't get the concept of laying down the backgrounds, middle grounds, and foregrounds, and separating them, and making them look cool:/
    Don't do that, it will end up looking like Moon Patrol. Instead, quickly block in rough shapes and see what emerges. When you spot something in there that looks landscapey, develop it. The mind is not good at coming up with natural shapes from the imagination, it often needs a bit of help (it's all to do with evolution, don't get me started), so that's why it's handy to work rough and big and then focus in on the shapes that transpire from your scribbles.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Having ideas before you start can be helpful I suppose, but it can also lead to disappointment because imagined things sometimes just can't be put down on paper, at all. It can be a bit like drawing a map of the world. The actual spherical map is dimensionally different from a 2D map, so we have to violate it to get it down on paper.

When I have ideas for a design, it's never for a finished flat picture... it's always some kind of mass, a feel analogous to something, a posture seen from no specific angle, etc.

ANYWAYS. Don't be afraid of having ideas on the fly. You'll be more informed that way, and you'll have better ideas (standing on your own shoulders), and you might be less disappointed. As you draw, you'll be able to see what works and not in practicality, and you might make a wonderful mistake which gives you a fun idea.

As for environments, I don't do them a lot, but I would guess that a good approach could be to initially... treat them as an abstract painting, compositionally. It's really difficult to puzzle pieces together that were done separately, because you'll easily get nasty tangents, poor framing, bad eye leading, and stuff like that.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whenever you have these cool imaginations quickly scribble them down on paper. Then take those scribbles with you when you're behind your computer.

I hardly ever do this, but maybe it can help you.

Check out my work on ucheachonu.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suffer from this too. This is a helpful thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://al.chemy.org/

Free download for generating ideas and helps with mental block/artist block!

Andrew Jones is also shown using it!

http://al.chemy.org/download/

For more information visit vancouver Sketchgroup on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...9502732&ref=ts

More info:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...id=25412177285

Conceptart for Vancouver Sketchgroup:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=29112&page=71

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    The key is something to do with perspective and blocking in the image, at least that's what I think. I have the same problem as you.
    You are NOT BOB ROSS?!

Liar!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How to get started: draw with the pointy end.
    Advice on environments: generally, the sky goes on the top.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    How to get started: draw with the pointy end.
    Advice on environments: generally, the sky goes on the top.
    I feel as if a new world has opened up before me.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    You are NOT BOB ROSS?!

Liar!

WOAH MAN I said I was Bob Ross incarnate. He didn't start painting until he was around 20 (I watched my own videos earlier because I'm Bob Ross and I said that). Just give me another 20 years and I'll be on PBS, I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9hs...eature=related

See obviously I'm just the digital Bob Ross!

That's totally my voice!

edit: HOLY SHIT. I live in Orlando Florida and was born here (been here 20 years)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross#Personal_life

I AM BOB ROSS OF THE FUTURE

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; January 29th, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Get this book: "Drawing Scenery" by Jack Hamm. Inexpensive and a great place to get started.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Get this book: "Drawing Scenery" by Jack Hamm. Inexpensive and a great place to get started.
    Own it, love it!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

22. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of good general composition info in there as well.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Lots of good general composition info in there as well.

Thank gawd! Appreciate the backup guys - it really is an excellent book for getting started. Sit down with a small stack of paper and read one concept/page an evening and do your own sketches based on the principles. Up until about page 72 or so...not worth much after that.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank gawd! Appreciate the backup guys - it really is an excellent book for getting started. Sit down with a small stack of paper and read one concept/page an evening and do your own sketches based on the principles. Up until about page 72 or so...not worth much after that.
    I'm a researcher/collector ( if that hasn't been made apparent by my threads on books I've purchased) and searched down all Hamm's books and they've been great help. In the boo you mention hr simplifies objects into shapes and blocks out contour drawings with shadow areas being apart of the picture. You can learn it as I did from another source, but his is like carrying around a cliff's notes.

-John Huston, Director

27. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a researcher/collector ( if that hasn't been made apparent by my threads on books I've purchased) and searched down all Hamm's books and they've been great help. In the book you mention simplifies objects into shapes and blocks out contour drawings with shadow areas being apart of the picture. You can learn it as I did from another source, but his book is like carrying around a cliff's notes.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; February 1st, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
    -John Huston, Director

29. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.