Humpty Dumpty

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Humpty Dumpty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty is not an egg anymore, I'm sure he can get down if he got up there.

All critiques are welcomed,

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I would try to seperate the two "landmasses" in your illustration. I think you could keep the foreground landmass the same, but "cool down" the one in the back, and have it match the colour of the sky more. You did that excellently with your castle actually. I just feel as of now its hard to seperate the two circular landmasses, and it sort of kills the depth in it.
    Maybe you could toy around with adding sme texture to it to make the flat planes of colour look more interesting.
    Other than that I really like it. It has a cute and charming feel to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know Humpty is supposed to be very stylized, so critiquing it for unrealistic anatomy doesn't make sense. But there's something about him that doesn't work, especially as he's not supposed to be an egg, right? His body seems to be a sack with sticks for arms. It's hard to tell exactly what's wrong with the body. The head is a bit easier. It's just an abstract form with little structure. On top of that (which is a drawing, not colour, issue) there's the color - his skin is just a flat tone with one other grayish tone for the shadow. You don't necessarily have to do a lot of soft blending or any of that, that's not what I mean, this is - again - mainly a drawing problem. And drawing problems make for bad structure. Again, I know you're not going for a realistic head, but you are going for a well drawn haid, yes? Right not there's a little bit of structure going on under his chin and eyebrows. That's a good start. But his mouth is just this flat line, there's no structure at all in it. So that kind of kills it. Take a look at this stylized piece by Adam Rex. I'm not sure if this is the style you're shooting for, but I think it illustrates my point that structure and "realism" is important even in a stylized picture:

Humpty Dumpty

Peter de Sève is another artist who works in a stylized way but has excellent "realistic" drawing skills. Study these drawings, don't just look at them and say "oh, okay, that's cool!". Study them, draw a copy of them to try to figure out how they do it.

Humpty Dumpty

I like the clouds, I think they have a nice structure. I also like the kind of skewed perspective the image has, I think that works well. The colours are all kinda flat colours, all kinda saturated bright colours, so try to get a bit more variation in there. Make your highest contrast in value and saturation happen where the important parts of the picture are, not all over.

Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.