Help in polishing!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help in polishing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help in polishing!

So...I was going for the semi-painty Art Nouveau look. The hair/eyes are supposed to be flat. She's supposed to be holding a potion in her hand, but idk what to do with the potion...I don't want to over-embellish, or add too many details (cuz I don't wanna take attention away from her hair :>). Should I add details to the bg? I also don't want to over-Mucha-ify it either...argh!

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lyethia; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: grammar XD
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh this is pretty darn cool lookin'. The hair is very Mucha-ish and has an awesome golden sheen, and your general composition is rockin'.

I think her head might be a bit big though. Try shrink it down a tad.

Also, the hair gives the impression that the light is warm, however, the skin seems to be lit by a cooler light. This makes it seem like the hair end the body don't quite belong. I would try to either cool down the hair, or warm up the skin. Or maybe the difference is somwthing that you actually want?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi lyethia. Overall the picture looks good. However, her right arm has a strange bulge coming out. I know that the long supinator (or brachioradialis) muscle makes a pronounced bulge in the arm, but perhaps you drew it too short, since your page cut off. Also, her left forearm looks very short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried flipping it at all? Seems like it might help. Keep measuring stuff too, where symmetry is required (e.g. the face), and proportion-wise. The head does look a tad big as was mentioned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The nose is too small for her face. I'd just select it and enlarge it with free transform.

I'd make the lines in her hair thinner by half. Just take the golden colour and paint it into the lines more. The proportions of her body are off. Her waist is too high for the width of her shoulders, and the distance between shoulder and elbow is too short. She looks all...tense and scrunched up.

Also instead of using that grayish brown for shadows, I'd come up with a realistic skin shade. Right now her skin is looking very dull yet dirty.

I think what works the best overall is the face and hand, because it seems like you actually used reference for them. You can really tell that they're more carefully observed, which makes them work better overall.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you look at a face, the first thing you look at is the eyes. The second thing we look at are the lips
    Because the eyes are (intended to be) flat, you should make the lips more luminous to make up for the lack of volume and lights in the eyes.
    Also, certain places could be much darker. (such as the corner where her right arm meets her side) in general her lower half should be much darker.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The upper arms are two different lengths, and the left arm looks much more slender than the right. The left forearm is very short, and the olecranon (the knobby bit of the elbow) is pointing oddly. Don't forget that the forearm is made up of two bones and the way they've rotated, the inside/top part of the forearm should be more flattened out than it seems here. (I went to my mirror to check.) Also the wrist feels a little floppy in that picture--there's not much distinction between the arm and the hand.

she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woohoo, thanks for the replies guys!

I actually didn't use any reference at all for this picture, although I based the dress design off of this one: http://www.audreybmorin.ca/costumes/.../BlueDress.jpg

So I shrank the head down, tried to warm up the skintones/deepen the shadows with a magenta color, lowered the waist, lengthened the forearms, adjusted her pose to get rid of "scrunchiness," fixed her elbow knob, tried to give her wrists, and worked on the symmetry of her figure (whew! XD). Hopefully you can sorta tell that I did something...

And once again, thank all of you guys SO MUCH for your suggestions. Couldn't have done it without you!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.