Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: sketchbook 2.0 (start of journey page #3)

Thanks
    A very nice portrait! Way to get back from a vacation. Form is defined very well and the expression looks natural. The subtle color changes look very sleek. What more can I say? As far as technique goes, good job. Could've pushed the hair a bit more and cleaned up the edges.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    kitfox cheers i see what you mean about the hair, i think there was more contrast in the .psd but it could have done with a little more care anyways.

Did a page of pencils but ill scan it tomorrow when i do more...

Started an illustration, duno what to-do now but continue rendering, i duno if that will make it better though D:
    Attachment 1331163

Some multi-limb things from mind
    Attachment 1331161
    Attachment 1331162

Quick cloud
    Attachment 1331159

Thanks
    Rendering the illustration probably won't help much. Seems like it suffers from too many random elements and a bad composition. Going back to the thumbnail stage and really planning out the whole thing would be the most useful thing to do. Though, I don't know that much about the process yet. That's what I'd do anyway.

The multi-limb figures are pretty good proportion wise, but could use a bit longer neck and legs. Since they're females, keep the ridcage slimmer and the hips a little wider to make them more feminine. Another thing that'll help is to keep the contours very subtle. With male figures you can exaggerate and bring out the muscles in the contours but with females you really can't do much without making them too bulky. I like the simple value style you put on them, seems to work nicely for a quick sketch.

The colours on the quick cloud appear a bit dark for such a clear sky.

Thanks
    I agree with kit, you should reconsider the composition, my biggest problem with the painting is the angle... maybe make it a worm's eye view with the lumberjack looking at this giant, or maybe a helicopter shot of the giant looking down on the woods and the lumberjack.
    http://www.leavemethewhite.com/index2.html Study some compositional stuff from this site... it's got tons of good movie screenshots!
    And for the figure drawings, I agree with kit again, make their necks a bit longer and fix the ribcage/hips proportions. Also, I think you can make their ankles more slender and rounder?

Thanks
    As kitfox and not deadman mentioned, you could use a better composition for your illustration to make it more interesting. Also the guy's pose should be stressed and ready for a fight, to show the tension

the multi-limb figure looks good to me, though the legs are a little short, but other things look ok to me. In general women hips are wider than their shoulders but I don't think every drawing should follow that rule exactly, some times our female characters have some manly attributes and we don't want them to look so girlish that's just my opinion

I love the landscape, love your use of the brushes expressionistically

and last but not least great portrait in post #144, love it

Thanks
    Hey man been a while . Your studies seem to be going well it's nice to see you doing your own work to. Sucks about your course tho. Time to come back and start the posting again mate.

Thanks
    Ah man, Its been too long D: basically when all the other students moved into the apartment block the internet went down to dial-up speeds (yay) and the assignments were a huge step up in workload and skill compared to last year, so ive been overwhelmed and too lazy to post in my sketchbook for ages :'(

But anyway I'm back for sporadic updates now. Fuck what i said earlier about hating my course, im having a shit ton of fun making characters and environments, its awesome but it also means i haven't been doing any painting & drawing, which i need to start doing again desperately.

also sorry to the SSG i was in (sorry guys) for just leaving and never explaining why i just disappeared

All WIP
    Attachment 1377918

Attachment 1377911

Attachment 1377916

Attachment 1377921

Attachment 1377922

Attachment 1377923

Attachment 1377925

Thanks
    Really cool 3D stuff man, glad you're enjoying your course! If you ever want to join back up, just let me know.

Thanks
    Diggin the 3d stuff man, wish I had the capability to learn that stuff.... as for the paintings, I think you made the head too small and the arms a bit too short... or maybe the legs are too long? The assault rifle concept is pretty neat. It's kinda boxy and not so sleek like I see in other common designs and I think that may be what you were going for, since there is a taped on screwdriver on it? lol However, I think the handle should be a bit bigger, looks too small, in my opinion.

Thanks
    kitfox cheers man!
    Not_Deadman Its really fun! its pretty hard to actually start learning it, but if you stick at it it all comes together pretty fast.

Finished the environment and handed that in the other day. handed the character and weapons in before xmas. Rightnow im going back to painting a concept based on an art deco ocean liner. Its going to be like my first environment concept which is scary but yah... teacher said i should apply for the lead environment artist role in the game my groups making so that should be good.

Thanks
    Oh where oh where has our DTP gone, oh where oh where could he be? Hope things are going well for you man.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12