Sketchbook: Travels - Daily Sketches and Studies
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Travels - Daily Sketches and Studies

Hello, and welcome to my sketchbook. In all honesty, I don't sit down and do art studies often enough, so I thought I'd begin a rigorous, daily, scheduled art routine. I've been doing some full artwork lately, but they take so long that, in my opinion, they aren't practical for study. So anyway, I'll post a few of my more recent pictures.

The first three are my most recent art, before I decided to start this sketchbook. However, the last one is what I will be doing more of, studying basic shapes and forms, shadow and light play and then working my way up from the ground.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice stuff so far, great start to your sketchbook. It's always good to go back to basics, we all have to start somewhere. I can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Icedearth15876: Thanks for the compliment! I have so much free time these days, I can't help but draw!

This one is one I completed today, just picture of a photo frame and a lighter sitting on my desk. The picture in the frame is just a placeholder I made up. I hope you like it, I'll probably update this post by the end of the day with another picture.

Last edited by HolsterDraw; October 21st, 2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: To attach a second picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I'm back! The first one is a value study I did of some things on my desk, and the second one is the same things, only I was focusing more on color and light study. I also did some gestures, but I'm not going to upload them, cause I didn't do too many. Also, sorry about the small size, I accidentally reduced the sketch before I did the color one, so there wasn't much I could do For a crit, I'll give you an internet cookie, or one of these:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here are some of Mr. Loomis's lovely Mannikins. This is the first time I've ever really done figure study, and it's actually a lot of fun. I used Posemaniacs for some of the poses, others were just taken from Loomis's book.

Last edited by HolsterDraw; October 22nd, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
    God and other artists are always a little obscure. - Oscar Wilde

All art is but imitation of nature. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Please, visit my sketchook! I'm always interested in advice!
    Travels - A Sketchbook

Also, don't forget to drop by my fellow Sketchbook Support Group artist's pages!
    .empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More anatomy more life studies. More more more.

Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with SigonWulf. Do LOTS of studies, anatomy, composition, color theory, contrast theory, etc. Do so many studies that you don't know how many you did, actually.
    You're living in Hawaii, a paradise to live in. Why don't you just go out with some paper, a pencil and an eraser and start drawing what you see? The people, the plants, landscapes, nature. I'm curious about seeing some hawaiian drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SigonWulf - I'm reading Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy right now, actually! Thanks a lot for the advice!

.empyrean. - Yeah, I'm working my way up to full anatomy studies right now, I want to make sure I have the bread and butter of proportions solid before I move on too heavily, but I do plan on doing some anatomy studies tomorrow. I did a few color theory studies the other day, but I'm going to keep doing them as well. And while I'm on it, do is Dmotym in our SSG now? If so I'll add his sketchbook.

Well, I would have had a wip of my cow entry, but unfortunately photoshop hates me and decided to crash many, many hours into the work. And, me being amateur and slightly stupid, saved none of it along the way, so I lost the whole project. A shame, because I liked the way it was coming out, but I learned my lesson. I will save VERY often! Also, I began downloading the trial version of PS CS5, to try it out so I can buy it if I like it. I'm looking forward to that. Anyway, I didn't do anymore today after the crash, but I'll post some of the Loomis Mannikins I did last night. They're not spectacular, but they were good practice. Oh, and I read some pages from Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy, I will read more and do some studies from it tomorrow.

Travels - A Sketchbook

Also, don't forget to drop by my fellow Sketchbook Support Group artist's pages!
    .empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I really couldn't get much done today, got busy for part of the day and then sporadically got a new tattoo. So not only do you get some anatomy studies (My first) but you also get a picture of a tattoo!

Last edited by HolsterDraw; October 25th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not posting yet!

Yeah, I guess I'm in this ssg. we seem to be on the same page art wise. Think we should both do more finished works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DemoTyme: I wouldn't say we're on the same page, I think your skills are above mine, especially with the pencil. Looking at your sketches, though, I'm gonna assume you've been reading the same book I have.

Well, did a lot of anatomy study today. Reading from Constructive Anatomy by Bridgman. It's a very good book once you understand the layout. I feel like I'm really learning and retaining a lot of information. In the book I've gotten to the section about arms, but I did personal observation of the torso as well. I can visually identify a lot of the muscles already just from reading some Loomis and Bridgman. I figure I'll continue studying anatomy thoroughly until I get through this book at least, I'd like to get through a Loomis book too before I switch focus to something else for a while.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HolsterDraw, those studies look so much better than the pieces in your first post. Really, keep that up!
    Working on the tablet is good, but working with pencil and paper is sometimes better. You get a better feeling for the material, the process of drawing and drawing itself.

Max

PS: That tattoo is frickin' awesome, I like it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to .empyrean. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    .empyrean. Thanks a lot! I've been working really hard every day on my anatomy! I have to work on my lighting and shading next I guess, since it's something I don't ever really get a lot of time to practice. Thanks a lot for the encouragement!

Thanks a lot. I stayed up too late (Ughhhhh) I'm sure I'll pay for it tomorrow in art time, but oh well, you only get so many opportunities to have fun when you're in the military. Good night, everyone!

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, hope that you don't think I was being facetious. I do think your good, just need to learn where the muscle are, where the hinge, and draw them in as many positions you can. That's what I'm trying to do anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Demotyme - I didn't think you were being facetious at all. You're right, that's why I've been doing so much anatomy lately. All my spare time is spent sleeping or studying lately.

Well, I didn't post anything last night, but I did do some anatomy. Was kind of a hectic day so I wasn't able to get much done, but here's what I did do.

Last edited by HolsterDraw; October 27th, 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the first figure, you have the pecs hinging somewhere on his back. The serratus muscles actually extend into the back, yours stop around the armpits. The Deltoid facing us seems to take over most of the arm, there's no bicep. The last, and longest, abdominal comes doesn't come inward like that, the rest of the abs look like they're attached on top of it. There's also some construction problems, I can't see the curvature of the spine.

In the second figure, the Lattimus seems to attach directly to the back of the guy's head, it's missing the volume it actually has. The bronchioles on the left arm facing us are a little too large compared to the rest of his arm. The glutes are attached on top of the hamstring. The left leg has no thigh, the right leg's is out of proportion. The calf muscle on the right is attached to the thigh. The construction is pretty accurate. Although there's something about the left scapula I can't seem to agree with.

Hope that helps, also here's a website that helped me immensely with my anatomy along with Loomis and the like. http://designlesson.blogspot.com/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Demotyme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

Your anatomy drawings keep looking better and better in every post compared to the first one. It definitely shows how much you've drew in order to practice and understand the essential of anatomy. Keep that up.

As for still-life painting, just start out with a sketch and then paint with a 100% hard brush to make a rough painting of your still-life portrait before rendering it with softer brushes for details and smooth surfaces. That'll achieve a sharp-looking still-life that comes to life. Colors play a huge role in making still-life look sharp too. I learned that by paying more attention to things more in life. It's surreal to see how much small details of those things can change the perspective of colors.

Keep it up with those anatomy sketches!

SR-5.

P.S. That tattoo is made of the win.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SR-5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @SR-5 Thanks a lot for the encouragement! I really have been doing considerably more studies compared to what I used to (No studies). I feel I already understand anatomy a lot more than before I started, though I obviously have a lot further to go. I also intend doing more still lifes, though I don't have a very good selection of interesting things to draw here.

@Demotyme Thanks for the pointers. I try my best to draw the figure exactly as it is in the pictures I use, but sometimes it's not a very good quality photo or the lines blurr, so I read it wrong. And I've been reading Constructive Anatomy by Bridgman, but it's taken me a long time to get through, as I've never heard of a lot of the technical terms he uses and it's a bit dry, so I have to read it in sittings. Though I do feel like I've learned a lot from what I have read.

Sorry it has been a while since I posted anything. I kind of burned myself out (Plus the last couple days have been busy as hell), but I did a study today, so here it is.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems to me that when you draw from reference, you put down lines and shape where you think you see them, which I do as well, instead of where they are. I try to be critical of proportion and redraw when something isn't working out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to begin with cubes, cones ands stuff to get the basic masses and forms down and then apply the rest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking the anatomy studies. I want to see more. Try finding some Loomis books online. Dmotym is doing a great job with his studies. I'd look to him for a little guidance. That's what I'm doing.

I propose a draw off for our sketchgroup. Find the cutest animal you can find and draw it to the best of your abilities. When we are all done we will critique each others and provide some helpful tips. Also instead of just drawing a cute creature try and write down some of your struggles and things you really like about your drawing. We can compare these notes.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holster where have you been man? We need to see some more of your awesome drawings.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know. it's been like a month. I had an unexpected change in living spaces and I've been busy getting used to my new schedule and everything. But now I'm dedicated again. I'm going to start with still life and try to build the fundamentals I'm so sorely lacking. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey SSG fellows,
    I need your help.
    I want to start drawing digitally, but I really don't know where to start. I want to do environmental designs, but also creatures and that stuff. Should I start by doing photo studies? Anatomy studies? Just paint?
    My problem is: I try to start something, but then I struggle with questions like: b/w and then color, or first color then detail, which settings or which brushes and so on.
    It would be reeeally helpful, if you just suggest something like drawing an apple, drawing a photo or something more specialized. Or if you just have a link or a video to get things started.

Thanks and keep it coming guys!

Max

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my only advice is draw with pencils and keep practising

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I sat down and did a few studies. I don't have nearly the same amount of free time now that I did before, but I still try to practice everyday. These are figure and foreshortening studies. The figure types come from the book Dynamic Figure Drawing by Watson Guptill. I drew some bottles in perspective and I drew a skull a few days ago to practice value (Though the picture quality isn't very good)

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice keep it up man. Need more work. Hit up amazon for a copy of Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman and The Human Figure by David K Rubins.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More figure studies. Proportions are getting better, perspective is getting better, though I can still only do it from reference.

Last edited by HolsterDraw; January 8th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, here it is. I decided, finally, that within the next year an a half I need to do work directly related to building a portfolio in order to get into the Character Animation BFA program at CalArts. Right now my figures are coming along alright, with more work they were begin to come to where they need to be headed. What I'm more worried about, because I just don't do enough of it, is my still life. Essentially, when it comes to pencil and paper, I have issues with shading. I can make it work on the computer (Though not very well) What I need is suggestions on how to work on value and form studies. I already know the obvious suggestion is simply to draw more still life. I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers for a more focused, isolated study. If you do, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's studies. I decided to drop figures for a bit and go back to the basics. Oranges for today.

The first one was set on my desk with just my room's light, the second was set on the floor, under and to the left of the room's light, the third was on the floor with the room light off and a lamp shined at it.

Let me know what you think of it so I can work on it some more. The first one was set on my desk with just my room's light, the second was set on the floor, under and to the left of the room's light, the third was on the floor with the room light off and a lamp shined at it.

Travels - A Sketchbook

.empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.