Thanks

balancing two passions

I'm a biology and fine arts major junior in college. I'm really like science but I also am crazy about art. I really can imagine my future career without either one playing a prominent role in my life. I'm on premed and pregrad path but would really also like to be a part of the film/gaming industry. And I find that I really have to choose because both types of careers are so different and requires full commitment.

Anyway, I'm just wondering whether anyone else is in the same boat who have two passions from different fields and how you balance both so that you have a significant involvement in both. For example, maybe your a physician and also is an important contributor or involved in say an animation studio or something. I apologize if this is not clear but I hope you get the gist of what I am saying.

Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Had this issue back in '95.

I chose writing. Seriously focused on that for 8 years (while doodling), the eventually went back to illustration.

So I didn't find balance. But I did find the life & friends I wanted.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    I have that situation--I have experience with computer science and art! However, during university there was a time when I was so deeply immersed in the world of computer science that I just about lost my creativity. I was sick of that because though I love computers, I LOOOVE art! I wanted and still wish to put both together somehow, and I'm actually looking to get into the gaming idustry somehow. Right now as a university graduate!

It's not impossible to do this, to mix it up. However, as you noted both sides have great commitments and challenges that you may not be able to cover as well if you try doing everything at once. You may need to alternate sometimes, then other times try bringing together what you've learned. If you want to get into a certain field, when you have free time to study it (including choosing a relevant course), find out about what you wish to focus on and try for a course or start up some research in or around that area.

Get learning and you'll find some very helpful outcomes and new lessons that can help you. I actually got to delve into game design (computer, technical) and my own self-directed study of "game concept design", making a game concept from scratch within a couple weeks. Really helped me get more direction.

So, good success! I hope I made some sense with my answer!

Thanks
    You could always find a job as a medical artist. That way your job encorporates both your loves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stricken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thankfully I'm lucky in that both my passions are very close together, that is a language (Japanese) and illustration (particularly commercial illusts)

I guess for you though, you have to really decide on one and leave the other as a hobby. Speaking in the traditional responsible role I would say take science, since your more likely to make more money in a short amount of time, then you can focus on art after you're swimming in money haha. Since it's a passion for you anyways, it's not like you're giving up your dream just to get money.

You're lucky in a way, at least you have a passion that can make you money, I always had the brains for the same thing but no passion for medical, law or politics at all
    ダメだ!ぜんぜんダメだ!

Thanks
    You won't really be able to completely balance the two - both are noble pursuits, but in the end one is definitely likely to win out, so you'll either want to combine them (someone up above suggested medical artist?) or you'll want to got all-out on one and leave the other for fun during your spare time. I've got a few passions myself, but I've more or less chosen art to pursue, and it really does come down to choice - which one you really want to concentrate on.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I'm currently having this "problem" with music and art, though I am finding ways to balance them certainly. To find a school that has a strong program for both would be the best thing you could do. Also, no school can stop you from taking the classes that you want, as long as you have the money, so you could certainly double major in Science/Art or major/minor, take extra courses, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lrota View Post
    I'm a biology and fine arts major junior in college. I'm really like science but I also am crazy about art. I really can imagine my future career without either one playing a prominent role in my life. I'm on premed and pregrad path but would really also like to be a part of the film/gaming industry. And I find that I really have to choose because both types of careers are so different and requires full commitment.
    Medical/scientific illustration. Bingo.
    http://www.ami.org/
    http://www.gnsi.org/
    Last edited by Elwell; October 25th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eslocklier View Post
    Personally, I would choose the science end. If you're passionate about both, the gaming and film industries are completely tanking right now due to piracy.
    No, they aren't. Last year had the highest ever box office returns (at least if you ignore inflation). I don't know the statistics on games, but they certaintly haven't dropped precipitously in the last couple years.

Thanks
    Do art. More risky and fun. If you don´t get a job that has do to do with art then you have at least tried to. Pro tip: There´s a ot of food in dumpsters outside of restaurants, in case you´d need it you know.

Thanks
    I would just advice you to do one thing at a time. That way, whatever you choose first you can become good enough to get a job, then after that - while having somehting that can give you an income - you can start the latter ambition.

Of course, never stop doing any of these two in your freetime, you gotta keep the flame lit!