I'm stuck... any advice?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm stuck... any advice?

Hello,
    I draw allot, mainly sketch outside lately. But I really do it every-day and fill up sketchbooks. every once in a while I do a more detailed study of something - still life, model, landscape etc.
    But it seems I'm not getting any-where...

any-advice on what I'm doing wrong?...

Cheers,
    Dan

P.s.
    You can see my stuff from the links on the bottom of this post

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how long you've been drawing. But I see nothing wrong with your sketches. I'd say keep it up and you'll get better

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read everything you can. Once you understand it, apply it. Rinse and repeat.

Do copies of other artists work. Try to comprehend what you are drawing in a 3D sense. I think it would be helpful if you tried to describe the edges of forms with one continuous line, instead of chicken scratching. Take your time, speed comes after quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In comparison to what? Your art is skilled and has a solid style. Are you upset that it doesn't look more real, more like life? If that's the case study European Renaissance painting (I've always been fond of Titian). Those artists were very good at creating the illusion of reality.

Also don't be afraid to copy. tracing and using graphs to insure the correct positioning of forms is very helpful. Take your favorite pieces of art and find out how they were made, try to make them yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    While it's good to study from the masters don't use it as your only means to getting better. Tracing pretty much won't teach you anything. Whatever style you want to paint in you need to study from life. But you seem to allready be doing this so I don't think I need to tell you that. Lurk around on the forums a bit. There's a lot of information on what you need to study. And also keep posting in your sketchbook. You won't become a master over night. It takes years to get good and a life time to be a master. Keep up the steady practice and I'm sure you'll get where you want to be.

Read the books by Loomis and study anatomy. Study color theory and composition. Make use of whatever information you can find on pretty much anything.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The better question is "what is your goal?" Because if you don't know, I don't know and therefore have no idea if you're "going somewhere"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    Thanks everyone for the replies !!
    very good advises !!
    For the question of what is my goal it's an interesting one, I never thought about it in such a direct way...
    I guess my goal is to be able to produce pleasing images of my ideas. meaning -
    the forms to have solidity, the lighting to be correct and strong, the perspective to give a sense of correct space... etc. and to do all that more or less from the imagination and not having to use too much reference.
    I guess what bothers me is that my drawings don't have that "professional" feel to them. and I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
    most of the time I would look at a drawing, won't be pleased but won't know how make it better...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study masterworks.

Check out http://barnstonestudios.com/learn-to-draw-videos for some ideas on what to do to improve.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to blow your mind and suggest that you stop sketching, at least sketching the way you have been doing it. I think your problem is that you're sketching a lot but you're not getting anything out of it. It's quantity over quality. Filling sketchbooks means nothing if you aren't learning. Your hand-eye coordination may get better but you're also getting better at making the same mistakes.

When you sketch, do it with a purpose. Try to learn one new thing every time. If you're unfamiliar with something, give it a go. Don't worry so much about being able to post a lot of drawings per week. The most important thing is to learn. Those who are good at drawing may sketch a lot, but that's not the key to success.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think your problem is that you're sketching a lot but you're not getting anything out of it
    True,if you do not know what you are supposed to learn,then you are not doing it right,all studies should have a goal or at least a path.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just identify what, exactly, you do not like in your current work and focus on it as you draw.

Doodling and sketching is fun, but if you want to go anywhere, you ought to challenge yourself. Treat every drawing as an exercise, as an excuse to practice some point, as a problem to be solved in the best possible way.

Just going with the flow is good for maintaining your skill; if you want to progress, pick things to draw that you can barely handle. After you wrestle with them and subdue them, you'll be able to handle them better. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's exactly the problem !
    I just don't KNOW what I don't like about my drawings. to me it feels like everything-
    form, lighting, perspective, being able to draw from the mind...
    so I thought I'll just keep on drawing and it will get better, but it don't. well I don't see any evident progress any-way...
    So I realized I don't know what is holding me back.
    well I got quite a few good advise here and at my sketchbook, so I'll follow and see how it goes

Thanks!

I'll be very happy to get crits on my sketchbook as I go !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I wish I'd fill book pages every day!

Still, always good to ask yourself WHY do I paint this, or draw this.
    What is it that makes it necessary to do this. What's the urge.

Bye, Evelien
    http://www.painting-ideas-and-techniques.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.