Art: District 9 alien plushie

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

District 9 alien plushie

Hey guys, I haven't been sculpting for a while, but I have been doing other things to keep busy. I've wanted to get into sewing and making things for some time, and I had bought fabric and a sewing kit but never did too much with it.

With the help of my Grandmother, I've been learning to hand stitch instead of using the 50+ year old sewing machine she still has. It's an ordeal for me just to thread the thing, but it's pretty quick to her. I'm putting off getting a new machine for Xmas, since money's tight at the moment. However, when I'm set on doing something, I'll end up doing it whatever the most practical method at hand is. In this case, I've been using my hands to stitch up everything. Not the most practical, but it was the next best thing for me.

I decided to create one of the prawns from D9 since they grew on me throughout the movie. And little CJ was a big part of that. Plus, the mouth parts of the aliens freaked my Mom out, so it'll be fun to scare her with.

I tried first making a smaller version, but soon realized that it was quite difficult to work with something so small, especially given the odd body shape. So, this guy ended up being 35 inches long from head to toe. He won't stand on his own, but sits rather well in my desk chair.

I still need to add the mouth parts, and the exoskeleton armor. I plan to use gold satin that my Grandmother has to create the armor pieces. Not sure if I'll end up gluing on those pieces or sewing them on. Black pipe cleaners will be used for the antannae, and I've already ordered a set of eyes.

He's not quite perfect, but he has charm. I'm trying hard not to be too much of a perfectionist with this, otherwise I'd never finish.

I'll update again soon. ~Angela

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Aleio; October 25th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Finished up the main mouth parts tonight. I used a snakeskin print fabric on these pieces for effect. More details coming soon, stay tuned.

Thanks
    This is fantastic! It's strange that there wasn't any merchandise for this movie, they could have done well...who wouldn't want a little cj? he's too cute...for a bug like alien. lol

I can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Thanks.

Weta (the studio that designed the stuff for D9) did make two collectible pieces, two statues. One of the alien exo-suit and the other of CJ and his son. They were pretty pricey though, but very nice pieces.
    I wish they'd make little action figures of both CJ and his son, and maybe a few other aliens that were in the movie. Especially the yellow/black one that played a part in the beginning. He had some pretty nice coloring on him, would've made a nice addition to any fig collection.

Little CJ just made me want to give him a hug with those big eyes of his. ^_^

Thanks
    He officially has eyes now. Got them in the mail today. I ordered them from Suncatcher Craft Eyes http://www.suncatchereyes.net/index.html
    The only bad thing is that you can't use these for sculptures, because they won't stand up to oven heat. Still, the range of color and designs is pretty nice.

I may try to go with a Halloween theme, and try to find some shiny orange fabric for the armor plates. If that works out, I'm naming him Pumpkin.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.