advantages of a high GPA?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Unhappy advantages of a high GPA?

i know most art schools don't really care about a high GPA, but i hear that it does have its benefits. i've had above a 3.2 throughout high school and i intend to graduate with a 4.0. will this earn me anything at all, like a higher chance of being accepted or some financial aid? anything?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yaybrain View Post
    will this earn me anything at all, like a higher chance of being accepted or some financial aid? anything?
    Both. Plus, being smart and working hard are good things irrespective of any other reward.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Err, if you currently have a 3.2, how can you raise it to a 4.0? A 4.0 requires straight As throughout high school.

Anyways, I'd very roughly estimate (though it varies from school to school) that getting accepted and winning merit scholarships is fifty percent portfolio, thirty percent grades, and twenty percent everything else.

Thanks
    out of experience in art school it only helps for the financial aid, what really gets you into art school is your portfolio (80%of it is purely portfolio) although it may vary among the schools.

Thanks
    don't mean shit, what do you have to offer the world aside from your GPA j/p but fareal... dontameananuttin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Err, if you currently have a 3.2, how can you raise it to a 4.0? A 4.0 requires straight As throughout high school.
    oh i meant that i ended each grade level with a gpa no lower than 3.2 and i intend to end my senior year with straight As, and thusly (hopefully) a 4.0

also, is the financial aid substantial or do they still take one's need into more consideration?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yaybrain View Post
    also, is the financial aid substantial or do they still take one's need into more consideration?
    Totally depends on where you go.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I got a biiiig scholarship for my high school 4.0 GPA combined with my portfolio work. Makes a difference

Thanks
    A high GPA can mean a great deal. Even art colleges have found that students with high GPAs in H.S. are more likely to have the maturity and self-discipline to finish a 4-year degree program successfully. All the talent in the world won't do a student any good if they cannot complete assignments or come to class on time.

Thanks
    I received a large scholarship for having a 3.8 GPA and for my portfolio
    A high GPA really helps when you need to aid (and who doesn't?) plus Advanced Placement classes such as AP art and English will usually transfer over, and you won't need to take those classes !

Thanks
    You get some cash

Thanks

A high GPA comes in handy

First, some schools require a high GPA for admissions. This is particularly true for RISD and MICA and University of Cincinnati.

Secondly, Having a high GPA will help with obtaining financial aid and scholarships.

Thirdly, as Raining Again noted, students with high GPAs have a better chance of success in college that those of lower GPAs regardless of talent. You need a combination of talent, hard work, dilligence and time management, not to mention intelligence, in order to succeed at most colleges.

Moreover, don't neglect your college GPA either. If you want to apply to grad school or professional schools, having a high GPA will be very important to those goals.

Members who have read this thread: 1