Sketchbook: Starting from scratch, journal of progression - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 216

Thread: Starting from scratch, journal of progression

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthm/death View Post
    Man you have come a long way. loved #45. Seems like you are on the rigth track so carry on and dont stop =]
    Hey thanks brah! I have no idea what's so special about #45 though, but thanks anyway haha!

    Name:  17.png
Views: 263
Size:  101.5 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Man this was hard and did not come out the way I wanted it
    Name:  18.png
Views: 258
Size:  106.3 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thought I'd try to do something from imagination

    Name:  22.png
Views: 235
Size:  134.4 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey jiri nice to see you back again, its been a long time since i posted something valuable in here. Great stuff so far, those studies are getting stronger and stronger, But always keep in mind about your light source and the shadows it depicts, the closer the light is to the object the more sharp and clean the shadow is(and vice versa). Even shadows have perspective too.
    I will recommend you "Perspective Made easy - E.Norling" its a good book and will benefit you a lot in future, give it a try.

    Keep going mate.

    SketchBook <--[HELP THIS LAD IMPROVE, GO C&C]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 44 Times in 44 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    wow great studies, love those glasses

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful_Stool View Post
    Hey jiri nice to see you back again, its been a long time since i posted something valuable in here. Great stuff so far, those studies are getting stronger and stronger, But always keep in mind about your light source and the shadows it depicts, the closer the light is to the object the more sharp and clean the shadow is(and vice versa). Even shadows have perspective too.
    I will recommend you "Perspective Made easy - E.Norling" its a good book and will benefit you a lot in future, give it a try.

    Keep going mate.
    Thanks man, I'll check it out. You are right, I have never thought about how distance of light could influence the shapes. I have always wondered this and sort of 'struggled' trying to find some sort of 'perfect gradient' that would illustrate light.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias Leonard View Post
    wow great studies, love those glasses
    Thanks for the kind words!

    Name:  23.png
Views: 209
Size:  162.5 KB

    I think the study I did today is lacking some contrast in the banana itself. I also think that I might have gone a little overboard with de-saturating the shadows on the banana

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Stay safe everybody!

    Name:  24.png
Views: 192
Size:  200.2 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri92 For This Useful Post:


  12. #191
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #192
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    good stuff again

    SketchBook <--[HELP THIS LAD IMPROVE, GO C&C]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #193
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Name:  26.png
Views: 168
Size:  62.3 KB

    Not really digging it, I think I took too small a brush size and wasn't confident enough with my strokes

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri92 For This Useful Post:


  16. #194
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Still looks good! Maybe a cast shadow too? Keep it up man.

    "The remarkable thing about going through a disheartening session is that the student is very often on the threshold of marvelous discovery" - Jack Hamm
    >>SKYPE! "xNusku"
    >>SketchBook HERE!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #195
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    France !
    Posts
    1,473
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 527 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    it's cool to finally see someone learning painting with the basics ( and a lot from life and not photos too ) Keep it up man, just be carreful on your edges, be aware of what looks soft, and what looks hard/sharp, and it'll lead you to better solidity in your paintings !! for brush confidence, i'd say to think rwice before putting anything on the canvas, be sure of each stroke, don't use too much opacity at the beginning of the painting ( i mean, if you use pen sensitivity, you should press to really see the brushstroke, and not pressing a lil bit and seeing the stroke in trensparency, because most of the time, you take the time to find the right color, the right value, but when you don't press on full opacity it's like you did nothing, since you don't have what you wanted it to be, so be carreful about that !! been doing this too much before being aware of this ! ) anyway, keep it up !!!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #196
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusku View Post
    Still looks good! Maybe a cast shadow too? Keep it up man.
    Thanks brah, yeah the black blurry thing on the bottom was supposed to be a cast shadow haha

    Quote Originally Posted by kikindaface View Post
    it's cool to finally see someone learning painting with the basics ( and a lot from life and not photos too ) Keep it up man, just be carreful on your edges, be aware of what looks soft, and what looks hard/sharp, and it'll lead you to better solidity in your paintings !! for brush confidence, i'd say to think rwice before putting anything on the canvas, be sure of each stroke, don't use too much opacity at the beginning of the painting ( i mean, if you use pen sensitivity, you should press to really see the brushstroke, and not pressing a lil bit and seeing the stroke in trensparency, because most of the time, you take the time to find the right color, the right value, but when you don't press on full opacity it's like you did nothing, since you don't have what you wanted it to be, so be carreful about that !! been doing this too much before being aware of this ! ) anyway, keep it up !!!
    Hey man, thanks for the kind advice.

    Yeah I keep having this feeling (especially with circle drawing) that everything has to be some sort of gradient and rough edges can't exist. That will require more getting out of my comfort zone and experimenting on my part.

    I try to use 100% opacity all of the time so I can make conscious choices of what I'm going to be using value/hue wise.

    ==

    Today I did some experimenting with colors. And studied some color theory. I tried to see how saturation and hue would play against eachother, trying to mix warm with cool colors and keeping several rules of thumb in mind (such as how the lightest shadow should be darker than the darkest light)

    Name:  27.png
Views: 147
Size:  379.7 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #197
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #198
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Barbara, California, United States
    Posts
    475
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 266 Times in 137 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi Jiri92, thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You've made a lot of good progress since the start of your SB, though a couple issues keep popping up.

    1. A lot of work is washed out, which means you need some more control over your tonal range. If you were to split up a gradient from black to white into 10 steps (black = 0, white = 10), paint a scene using only 0-4, again with 3-7, and yet again with 6-10, and maybe one more using only values 0 4 6 and 10. You may have an easier time in general getting more contrast into your work if you start with your darkest dark and brightest bright on top of your mid-tone before doing anything inbetween.

    2. You need better edge control. A lot of the outer edges of objects tend to be blurry, which makes things look out of focus. Practice doing hard, soft and "lost" edges. This link shows some examples.

    Both of these do seem to be improving, so keep up the good work!

    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:


  22. #199
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    Hi Jiri92, thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You've made a lot of good progress since the start of your SB, though a couple issues keep popping up.

    1. A lot of work is washed out, which means you need some more control over your tonal range. If you were to split up a gradient from black to white into 10 steps (black = 0, white = 10), paint a scene using only 0-4, again with 3-7, and yet again with 6-10, and maybe one more using only values 0 4 6 and 10. You may have an easier time in general getting more contrast into your work if you start with your darkest dark and brightest bright on top of your mid-tone before doing anything inbetween.

    2. You need better edge control. A lot of the outer edges of objects tend to be blurry, which makes things look out of focus. Practice doing hard, soft and "lost" edges. This link shows some examples.

    Both of these do seem to be improving, so keep up the good work!
    Thanks, that is great advice!

    I took some sheets of paper and started to make cubes to observe (just how you did in your sketchbook)

    I didn't have much time to practice today, but I want to follow your advice; is this kind of what you talk about (this being a picture of the 0-4 values)?

    Name:  29.png
Views: 125
Size:  41.9 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #200
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Barbara, California, United States
    Posts
    475
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 266 Times in 137 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah, looks like you have the general idea down. You can think of it like adjusting camera exposure or tweaking the levels of an image in Photoshop. Many styles of painting emphasize using as much contrast as possible but it still requires some planning to avoid clipping lights/darks or having too little contrast in areas that need it. I find these kind of exercises useful for gaining that kind control. Especially things like nighttime scenes need a good amount of control if you want you lights to "glow".

    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #201
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The studies are getting better, but it would be nice to see some more drawings, maybe you could do the lineart and then render, the objects would look more solid

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #202
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Great improvement since you started. There's already so much good advice that I just wanted to take some time and encourage you to keep going. I admire your determination man! Rock on!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    Yeah, looks like you have the general idea down. You can think of it like adjusting camera exposure or tweaking the levels of an image in Photoshop. Many styles of painting emphasize using as much contrast as possible but it still requires some planning to avoid clipping lights/darks or having too little contrast in areas that need it. I find these kind of exercises useful for gaining that kind control. Especially things like nighttime scenes need a good amount of control if you want you lights to "glow".
    Yeah I see how a limited 'value-palette' can cause an image to lose its vibrancy from doing that exercise you told me about. BTW, you didn't provide the link to the site on edge-control in your post earlier

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Calza View Post
    The studies are getting better, but it would be nice to see some more drawings, maybe you could do the lineart and then render, the objects would look more solid
    Hey brah, do you mean drawings as in drawing from imagination vs. still life?

    Quote Originally Posted by prakashkc View Post
    Great improvement since you started. There's already so much good advice that I just wanted to take some time and encourage you to keep going. I admire your determination man! Rock on!
    Thanks for the kind words brah!

    Man the flu got me down a full week, but ah well; back in the game! Also the perspective in this is so bad compared to what it should look like lol

    Name:  1.png
Views: 105
Size:  175.9 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #204
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    What I mean is that instead using a large brush and start painting you could try to draw the lines first, more like a drawing instead of a painting and then paint using the lines as guides, I think it would be easier for you to get the angles right for the perspective stuff for example, you could try it to see if you like it. My english is not the best, but I hope it makes sense.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #205
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Calza View Post
    What I mean is that instead using a large brush and start painting you could try to draw the lines first, more like a drawing instead of a painting and then paint using the lines as guides, I think it would be easier for you to get the angles right for the perspective stuff for example, you could try it to see if you like it. My english is not the best, but I hope it makes sense.
    Ah yes I understand, makes sense! Will try so tomorrow!

    Name:  2.png
Views: 99
Size:  55.8 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #206
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #207
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #208
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #209
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. #210
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Don't get to comfortable with things that you already know how to do, try harder things now, instead of bw cubes or spheres, try to set up a still life with more complex shapes.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •