Sketchbook: Starting from scratch, journal of progression - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I think In the situation you asked about the circle shadow would overlap the cube, but the farther away something is from where its shadow hits, the softer the shadow is. so it would look more real if you blended the circle's shadow onto the white it hits a little. Maybe it would be good to try a bigger brush and big shapes of shades instead of scratching in your values with a little brush. Keep it up!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
    Nice work! I think In the situation you asked about the circle shadow would overlap the cube, but the farther away something is from where its shadow hits, the softer the shadow is. so it would look more real if you blended the circle's shadow onto the white it hits a little. Maybe it would be good to try a bigger brush and big shapes of shades instead of scratching in your values with a little brush. Keep it up!
    Thanks brah! I followed your advice today, could you maybe point out if I'm doing it correctly?

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the big brushes look better. It's best to use bigger ones than you think would be necessary to get a nice smooth feeling.You still might want to work on making shadows softer the further away they are from their source. It looks like you have a misconception about shading. If you study how it works, you should see that there is a highlight somewhere on the place the light hits the object, then after the light side things get a little darker (the halftone) then there's the darkest shadow, the core shadow. After that the object actually gets lighter, but not any lighter than anywhere on the light side. It does this because beyond the core shadow objects usually reflect what they're next to.
    Name:  apples.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  63.8 KB
    Hopefully this explains what I mean. Also I think this tutorial might help you out, and you should also be drawing from life and photos instead of only imagination. And to answer your question on my SB, I've been drawing for around 10 years, But I've only been serious about it for around 4.

Last edited by Samszym; December 3rd, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick?
    These were ways too quick!

Focus more and spend much more time on each drawing.
    Actually only more time will help you a lot!

Keep it up dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical
    I think the big brushes look better. It's best to use bigger ones than you think would be necessary to get a nice smooth feeling.You still might want to work on making shadows softer the further away they are from their source. It looks like you have a misconception about shading. If you study how it works, you should see that there is a highlight somewhere on the place the light hits the object, then after the light side things get a little darker (the halftone) then there's the darkest shadow, the core shadow. After that the object actually gets lighter, but not any lighter than anywhere on the light side. It does this because beyond the core shadow objects usually reflect what they're next to.

Hopefully this explains what I mean. Also I think this tutorial might help you out, and you should also be drawing from life and photos instead of only imagination. And to answer your question on my SB, I've been drawing for around 10 years, But I've only been serious about it for around 4.
    Hey man, thanks for the advice, tried it out today.

Also, thanks for the article it's really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Silwynar
    Quick?
    These were ways too quick!

Focus more and spend much more time on each drawing.
    Actually only more time will help you a lot!

Keep it up dude
    HAHA yeah that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw what I did yesterday lol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When doing a study, try ad use very littler opacity/density and biiiigger brushes. Right now, your small strokes on those apple pictures are taking away from it. Keep on doing those fruit studies, your thread shows improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    When doing a study, try ad use very littler opacity/density and biiiigger brushes. Right now, your small strokes on those apple pictures are taking away from it. Keep on doing those fruit studies, your thread shows improvement.
    Hey man, thanks for the advice!

Although I don't really know how to 'use' bigger brushes? If I try to shade with bigger brushes on the edge of an object for example they will just go over the edge and it results in me erasing to get the original shape back? Or am I getting it wrong?

Anyway, work I did today:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright had a lot of work today, but I did manage to atleast get something in in the name of 'drawing everyday'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see your practicing the basics! In the value studies, look more carefully at the values. You don't have to get it right the first time but keep comparing the values you put down with the values that you see. Pay special attention to get a good separation between the light and the shadow side. Don't worry about little surface details at this point. Focus on getting the form to read correctly. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff so far, with a great understanding of light and form.

For perspective practice, I recommend drawing the wheels on cars. Starting with a cube and drawing the wheel in perspective gave me invaluable insight into how shapes deform.

Please check out my Deviantart page: http://lucidstillness.deviantart.com/

Also, please check out my sketchbook thread!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=202280

And while you're at it, why not check out my finished gallery thread too! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=202283

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyartist View Post
    Good to see your practicing the basics! In the value studies, look more carefully at the values. You don't have to get it right the first time but keep comparing the values you put down with the values that you see. Pay special attention to get a good separation between the light and the shadow side. Don't worry about little surface details at this point. Focus on getting the form to read correctly. Keep it up!
    Thanks for the advice, but 'special attention to get a good seperation between the light and the shadow side' does that mean more contrast?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultarant
    Cool stuff so far, with a great understanding of light and form.

For perspective practice, I recommend drawing the wheels on cars. Starting with a cube and drawing the wheel in perspective gave me invaluable insight into how shapes deform
    Hey man thanks for the advice. Sounds really challenging haha, I'll start with that tommorow, if I force myself to get atleast SOME time at home, going christmas shopping.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right I meant more contrast between light and shadow. In the cube from your last studies for example I noticed that the value of the light, midtone and shadow are the same in your study while there's a clearer contrast in the reference. I hope you're not getting to bored with these exercises. When you get to more complex stuff remember to always relate everything you draw and paint to these simple forms. Good luck with your next studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyartist View Post
    You're right I meant more contrast between light and shadow. In the cube from your last studies for example I noticed that the value of the light, midtone and shadow are the same in your study while there's a clearer contrast in the reference. I hope you're not getting to bored with these exercises. When you get to more complex stuff remember to always relate everything you draw and paint to these simple forms. Good luck with your next studies!
    Alright thanks! Read this one after I drew today though, so it might not show now.

Not that I did anything shading related, just tried some prespective stuff!

Second pic is me trying a technique to get a circle out of a grid, and the third is supposed to be a hourglass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright today I've done a perspective study, trying to draw a science fiction scene using a perspective grid I made myself.

Also I've got a question: if I've drawn an apple and wanted to make a shadow, is there any way I could do this without paying real close attention to the edge of the apple, because it sometimes overlaps, and this causes my brush strokes to add to eachother.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright did some glasses today. I really have no idea how lighting works there, looks so complicated haha, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a lot of work today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was looking at some youtube videos of painting and got a bit carried away with looking at the videos and not drawing haha

I drew more than this, but I forgot to save it...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ooo... you've certainly been busy jiri :3 lots of dedication in your studies. you're grasping perspective quite well-- i should be doing those too anyway, try doing some still life drawings and take a break from photos. i'm sure you'll learn much much more from that

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by teapo View Post
    ooo... you've certainly been busy jiri :3 lots of dedication in your studies. you're grasping perspective quite well-- i should be doing those too anyway, try doing some still life drawings and take a break from photos. i'm sure you'll learn much much more from that
    Hey man, thanks a lot for the encouraging words, appreciate it! Also, with still life you mean draw objects that are physically in front of me?

==

Could anyone help me with the stairs? I'm trying to draw something similar to this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erspective.jpg
    but I'm puzzling how to draw the other staircases connecting to this one.
    Or let me put it his way: I know how I would draw a second stairwell, but I want it to have the exact same proportions as the first one, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi jiri i think what ur missing on the top pics is the vertical lines on the 90 degree angle parts of the stairs without those it looks like a ramp, the perspective study below it looks good tho. keep it up pal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Food View Post
    hi jiri i think what ur missing on the top pics is the vertical lines on the 90 degree angle parts of the stairs without those it looks like a ramp, the perspective study below it looks good tho. keep it up pal
    You mean like this? (btw I figured out my little problem)

believe it or not I spend 2 hours on this picture haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I tried to do a spiral staircase today but I ended up pulling my hair out, man that is frustatingly hard :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried the spiral staircase again but it looks off... the top stairs aren't right.

Tried to make a car in perspective haha it's more blocky than that of the flintstones!

And tried to make a vase in proper perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, did some still-life drawing today, first is of a can of Fish Oil Omega 3 tabs I had in my room, second is a bottle of Playboy New York deoderant, except I didn't do the sticker. The third is a very failed MIDI controller called the Novation Launchpad which I have here in my room and the fourth is just some spheres I tried to draw from imagination

EDIT: forgot the attachements

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff for today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some spheres for today, these still look really off. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some face practice today

EDIT: hmm I had drewn another face in perspective but I forgot to save it apparently..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright- more drawing from life. Did this exercise where I needed to draw from life and then using my imagination and what I've learned draw the same thing but in a other perspective.

Am also noticing more stuff in real life, like I notice the light more and the perspective etc. I think that's pretty big because this will allow me to grasp the concepts better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you did a great job! You made a lot of improvement.
    I will follow you to study things from life hehe. Thanks for inspiring me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on those last studies but I miss some darks though. I can barely see some of the objects. I'm sure there were not that light in real life. Look for darks where the objects touch the surface they're standing on for example to help define them more. Keep it up!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.