Drawing someone who exist irl from memory

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing someone who exist irl from memory

I don't know if this was discussed before here, but I want to know if anyone can achieve that.
    Let me explain more, Can anyone draw a person (e.g. an old friend) with no reference at all?, And make the drawing exactly like him?
    I can draw a realistic person with no reference at all, but a person who doesn't exist irl, What if I want to draw a friend that I don't see anymore and I don't have any picture of him, but i remember him very well in my memory.

Also if this is possible is it common?, or just a very few artists got to this level?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh that's pretty interesting .....but i haven't tried .... not sure i'm able to achieve it .....gota give it a go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm i cant even draw myself without a refferance, i dont remember my face lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe I'm being radical and 'out there', but have you ever thought of trying it rather than asking strangers on a forum if you can do it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Maybe I'm being radical and 'out there', but have you ever thought of trying it rather than asking strangers on a forum if you can do it?
    Yes, Many times... getting completely different people everytime.
    Also I'm not asking about "how can i forget my girlfriend" so you could say that I'm asking strangers, it's a normal discussion about art there's no strangers about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem would be that often memory doesnt match reality. We create references to represent experiences in our mind, i guess we are all different and some might have an easier time than others. Like this dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YXZTlwTAU

Hes autistic. I think how it works is, since he doesnt process the input he gets, or puts it into context the same way as a non-autistic, the brain kind of records the raw input. Don't quote me on any of this though, since I'm not any kind of doctor, I've simply read and heard stuff. The thing is if you are not like him you do process the input and put it into a language that your brain can connect with and make use of. Remembering the raw input as it was recieved is therefore not natural to us.

It is very possible to dipict your memory/fantasy quite well, but to train your mind to memorize sights perfectly to the point that your memory reflects the input you had at that moment well is really hard. Practice can make you better at both, I think it's more a matter of how close you can get, you will never recreate reality with perfection, especially not from memory.

I find it really hard to catch my minds vision well in a picture because it is always moving in my head. As with everything else, practise will make you better.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrozZT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try checking out one of Stephen Silver's Artcast on "Memory Sketching" just to give more insight. This technique is cool, but actually kinda hard if you don't do it enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck. I find it highly challenging.

Perhaps a more useful question would be, if anyone is able to do this, how do they approach it? Is it easier to get a realistic likeness or a caricature?

Slightly off-topic: years ago I saw a talk by Phillip Burke, famous for his large-scale painted portraits of celebrities, and he said that he draws each person about a hundred times from reference, these studies ranging from realistic to cartoony to abstract, until he has basically memorized their face. Then he executes the finished painting from memory.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's possible. No, it's not common. And the way to go about it is like Phillip Burke does; that way you have the memory of the experience of drawing the thing to work with as well as the memory of the thing itself.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    photographic memory.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can do it but it ends cartoon'ish/stylized which is my main style anyway, photorealistic no, there's only so many variable face types, noses, eyes... that if you memorize what type of features that person has, it's not that hard specially if you drew that person before live or from a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Yes, it's possible. No, it's not common. And the way to go about it is like Phillip Burke does; that way you have the memory of the experience of drawing the thing to work with as well as the memory of the thing itself.
    But wait a minute, isn't this the way people learn to draw anyway? When I'm learning to draw, let's say, a frog, I would have to do dozens of drawings until I can create a believable frog. Is that not like memory drawing?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darksoulzero View Post
    But wait a minute, isn't this the way people learn to draw anyway? When I'm learning to draw, let's say, a frog, I would have to do dozens of drawings until I can create a believable frog. Is that not like memory drawing?
    Yes. It IS memory drawing. But paraphrasing something is a lot easier than recalling it word-for-word, and so drawing a nonspecific frog is easier than drawing a specific frog.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All drawing is memory drawing.

Unless you're doing blind contour!

Or, tracing through something.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.