F.I.T versus SVA for comp animation

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: F.I.T versus SVA for comp animation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question F.I.T versus SVA for comp animation

Hi there , i never posted to the forum before , but i`m in the middle of choosing a college to go to and i`m trying to decide weather or not to pic F.I.T over SVA should i end up choosing. i`m working on my portfolio now , trying to remove allot of the cartooning / animation work i did in school and fill it with more life drawings. i go to the high school of art and design in NYC , so i`m getting allot of help and a small advantage to getting into a school. My problem is that i cant seem to decide on what school i want to go to. If anyone has any suggestions then plz let me know. also id love to post some artwork up here to show you all but i cant seem to upload anything , i don`t know why.

Thanks in Advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to FIT and I believe the program here is good but I hope you know you have to do 2 years in illustration first before you apply to the animation program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Devimyx View Post
    I go to FIT and I believe the program here is good but I hope you know you have to do 2 years in illustration first before you apply to the animation program.
    Yeah, i know that , i actually took a tour there about a week ago as a class trip in my animation class. Its a very nice school. I have already applied to them as of 2 nights ago. I have to wait for some kind of email , before i continue the process. I need to write a <750 word essay thing, and submit a portfolio. Im thinking of calling to make an appointment , i hear that interviews make a big difference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I applied I had to go in for a portfolio review and a drawing session...like a "test" I guess and a faculty member interviewed me...so you probably will be invited to do that soon. I think I went in december...Of course I didn't hear from FIT until march or april...that was annoying.
    Geez that was two years ago and I just applied to get my AAS today...yikes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing though about animation is at FIT and SVA most of the places that hire you in New York do animation for music videos, websites, advertising, etc. I mean, there's some VERY cool stuff...if you look on the Beyond Graduation section in the Comp. Animation page on the FIT site, they'll list a bunch of NY animation studios that a lot of FIT alumni end up in. But NY isn't really where you do a lot of like...Disney Pixar movies, from what I understand. Still, I wouldn't trust my opinion too much because I'm not really planning on doing animation. I suggest talking to SVA faculty and FIT faculty and asking them about their programs. The chairpeople and professors are generally happy to answer questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Devimyx View Post
    One thing though about animation is at FIT and SVA most of the places that hire you in New York do animation for music videos, websites, advertising, etc. I mean, there's some VERY cool stuff...if you look on the Beyond Graduation section in the Comp. Animation page on the FIT site, they'll list a bunch of NY animation studios that a lot of FIT alumni end up in. But NY isn't really where you do a lot of like...Disney Pixar movies, from what I understand. Still, I wouldn't trust my opinion too much because I'm not really planning on doing animation. I suggest talking to SVA faculty and FIT faculty and asking them about their programs. The chairpeople and professors are generally happy to answer questions.
    Blue Sky is in the area, and the California studios send recruiters to New York. It's not quite as good a location as LA or San Fran, but it's a close third.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.