Thanks

the portfolio/diploma, or the degree?

A slightly selfish topic, considering that its something I need to know....but regardless of that, I wanted to know everyone elses' thoughts on this matter.
    Take for example Max the Mutt which has a program dedicated to concept design, but offers a diploma upon graduation instead of a degree, and promises a great portfolio.
    Then there's Sheridan which has art programs in both studio art and illustration. The program is not oriented for concept design(although still teaching the artistic fundamentals required for this career), but offers a bachelor's degree upon graduation.

I haven't even entered college yet....so I really don't know what's more important to have in this career, the degree, or a strong portfolio w/ diploma. I know, no matter what art program one attends, it's the individual's own time and effort which will allow that awesome portfolio to be made....but I'm asking this in general.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 334 Posts
    To an employer a portfolio showing your work is always going to be more important than which school you attended or which piece of paper they gave you.

This is a good thread to read through

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    I have always been told that all you need is a strong portfolio and that a bachelors doesn't really make a difference.

Thanks
    Skills get you a job.
    A degree gives you a chance to get past US Customs if you're job is across the border.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I think the degree shows dedication. I've heard that companies when deciding between multiple applicants of near equal skill they'll generally lean toward the person with the degree. But yea thats just what i've heard.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whichever school has the curriculum and the instructors that you believe will aid you in obtaining the skills that you need; that is the school to go to. Your diploma or certificate or whatever doesn't matter.

btw, no school can "promise" a great portfolio. It is entirely up to you how great your portfolio will be.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    a portfolio will get you a job

a portfolio, art school experience, and degree will get you more varying jobs, knowledge of the contemporary art world and art history, building relationships with artists who will work in the same industry as you and other varying types of artists that you may learn a thing or two from, and most importantly, the chance to experiment with objects that may have never occurred to you. So instead of spending years in your room self-training, trying to become an imitation of your favorite internet-famous artist, in school, you'll get the opportunity to find your own style and your own goals.

At a Good art school anyway... I've heard great things about Sheridan, not so much for Max the Mutt.

granted some great artists never went to or didn't need art school, do it if you think it'll help and you can afford it.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Degrees are worthless. Diplomas are worthless. Education is priceless. So, go wherever will give you the best education. If that happens to come with a fancy piece of paper, whoopee.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holy...I didn't expect these many replies so quickly.

Well my concern with this topic was that just yesterday I talked with a couple of friends....both agreeing that I would get nowhere without the degree. I did read a couple of comments stating otherwise but I kinda felt some insecurity about it.

Given that all your replies support the idea that a solid portfolio is what will get me the job, I'll take it that it's that way.

The one thing I'm concerned about is that degrees do actually carry some importance for me, at least. I'm pretty sure that without a degree, I can't work overseas. And being Peruvian, I can say for sure that there are ZERO companies which hire for concept art in here, my goal is to work overseas....but I can't do that without a degree -__-

Thanks to everyone!
    Last edited by Constantini; October 13th, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: needed to add some info

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Having a degree has two major advantages, making it easier to get a work visa is one, making it easier to get a teaching job is the other. But in terms of actually getting hired to do art, nobody cares.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    ^ ¨makes it easier¨, I take it that its not 100% necesarry to have a degree in over to work overseas then?

I mean, I admit being pretty ignorant on the topic so that's why i'm trying to be a little more informed on it

Thanks
    I left my senior year at a traditional art school to attend TAD, which isn't accredited right now. The education is the best and that's all that mattered to me. When it comes to jobs where you're making art, a degree won't help you. It won't even get your foot in the door. The only thing that matters is your portfolio and networking.

Thanks
    that's what I really wanted to know, I'll take the collective advice and worry more about my portfolio then, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyMan View Post
    The one thing I'm concerned about is that degrees do actually carry some importance for me, at least. I'm pretty sure that without a degree, I can't work overseas. And being Peruvian, I can say for sure that there are ZERO companies which hire for concept art in here, my goal is to work overseas....but I can't do that without a degree -__-
    If your end goal is to find employment overseas, go for the degree. I don't know if there's a specific country or area that you're interested in, but if there is, you should take the time to research their visa requirements. For the US, the H-1B visa (temporary work visa) "classification is for professional-level jobs that require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a specific academic field. In addition, the employee must have the degree or the equivalence of such a degree through education and experience." -wiki link

Thanks
    I missed the overseas part. That's different, do your research on that.

If you're going to work freelance from your own country then that's simple enough. I know someone in Australia who got steady illustration work in the States before he switched to fine arts. He would call up art directors with a fake Australian accent that he doesn't really have cause I guess that's exotic and memorable or something.

The point is if you need the degree to get a work Visa then get the degree.

Thanks

^ True, I'm also looking at the same aspects: to recieve a good education and enjoy myself. In my story, happiness overweighs money, but money also plays it's role.
    I might still be 18 but I do think I'll be building a family and buying real estate at some point in my life, and it's a steady job which will grant me that in the end.
    I still dont know where I might end up, or when it might happen, I mean, I just applied to max the mutt, i'll be applying to sheridan and next year I'll apply to the amsterdam TAD POD, so i'm trying to cross out all these fucking little annoying thoughts which keep nagging at me.

Well I'll see where I end up going first and then I'll start worrying about the degree/visa, for now my portfolio is more important

thanks for all the replies though!