Layer Background question for openCanvas/PS

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Layer Background question for openCanvas/PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Layer Background question for openCanvas/PS

After this little experience i'm just realizing this now lol. I've seen it in both Photoshop and oC4.5, but I got this while experimenting around with openCanvas 4.
    When you open photoshop (or oC) a layer will have that chess layout image. WHAT is that called? What is its purpose?
    As i was sketching around on a layer in oC4 some splotches in the layer image (of layer displays, not the image itself) became white or was void of the chess pattern with spots of it left.
    Okay I created another layer for testing background flat color, set it underneath the sketch layer previous, layed out layer with monotone flat color and only the splotches wherever the chess patterns was on Sketch Layer showed the color, rest was void and invisible.

Does this make any sense? I'm just trying to figure another new mystery. What is it, is there a way to alter or 'fix' it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's nothing to fix, it's normal. Each new layer is transparent. The "chessboard pattern" indicates that the layer is transparent - it's the same in most painting apps. Any marks you make on the layer will cover up the checkered pattern because those parts are no longer transparent.

If you have two layers, one completely filled with colour and another on top only partially covered, then the bottom layer will show through the gaps in the top layer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This makes sense. I believe that answers my question then.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.