Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Learning to draw

Thanks

Learning to draw

Hey,

So, I'm someone who's wanted to be able to draw better for a long time, but rather than actually practice, I just doodle things in notebooks every once in a while.

I've been inspired to take this seriously, however, and so I'm going to be doing at least one serious drawing a day. I hope this is an appropriate place to put it all up. I wanted to get as much critique and advice as possible.

I've ordered a proper sketchbook, and it should come tomorrow. These past three days I've been using the few remaining sheets from my highschool art class sketchbook. As for what I've been drawing, so far I've just been google image searching faces and picking interesting ones. Any other suggestions would be great.

I've been using a pen so I can't erase, because when I can erase, I spend forever obsessing over little details, and it takes me a long time to finish anything. Also, I have a nasty habit of "petting my lines" when I draw, so I'm *trying* to break that.

Anyways, without further ado, here are my beginner attempts at drawings. Here's hoping I improve!

Attachment 1112474

Attachment 1112475

Attachment 1112476

Attachment 1112477

Attachment 1112478

Attachment 1112473
    Last edited by OnceDaily; December 14th, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Changed thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My sketchbook came today, so that's exciting.

I kinda like the way this came out, but there are tons of problems, especially compared to the original photograph.

Attachment 1081697

Thanks
    That last one looks like it needs a funny quote next to it. It looks pretty good already.
    I will become better at art!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    That last one looks like it needs a funny quote next to it. It looks pretty good already.
    Thanks for the comment dude, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Nice start bro. Keep drawing and good things will happen. You should also start doing some self portraits from mirror. And post all of them here. That way you can easily see your progress. It's hard at first, but you'll get there! Oh, and one thing. Avoid drawing lines between each tooth. That makes the gap look huge.
    My sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...75944&page=999
    (some nudity may occur)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Myllys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Myllys View Post
    Nice start bro. Keep drawing and good things will happen. You should also start doing some self portraits from mirror. And post all of them here. That way you can easily see your progress. It's hard at first, but you'll get there! Oh, and one thing. Avoid drawing lines between each tooth. That makes the gap look huge.
    Thanks a lot. The self-portrait thing is a good idea, but the only mirror I have access to is the bathroom mirror. I might take a picture of myself and try that though. Also, I appreciate the tip with teeth; I was having problems with them, and I'm definitely going to take that into consideration.

Here are today's sketches. I am NOT happy with them at all. I was sort of rushed tonight (huge test tomorrow, and not much free time to draw), but that's not a good excuse.

The first one has a few problems. First of all, the kid in the image was happy, but this guy looks like he just found out his dog died. Also, kids have such soft features; I have much more of a problem with that than with scraggly-faced old people. Another thing with the kid, I completely misjudged how much space I had left on the page, and drew him too big so he got cut off.

The second one I started because I was so unhappy with the first, but rather than take it slow, I rushed it and kind of gave up towards the end. I also improvised the top of her head; the original image was cut off there.

So yeah, I didn't really want to post either of these, but I promised myself that I'd do something every day, so here they are. I'm going to try much harder next time.

Attachment 1082294

Attachment 1082295

Thanks
    So, I didn't do anything yesterday. I got home late and my internet was so slow that it basically unusable. Those are bad excuses though, I could have at least drawn my hand or something.

Did stuff today at least. Sort of happy with the creepy guy in the first picture, though it's still riddled with problems. Not happy at all with the second one. It was a different angle for me, and I started drawing from the nose instead of from the outline of the face, like I usually do. I need to try that angle again.

Attachment 1083639

Attachment 1083640

Thanks
    Missed a day again yesterday. I'll probably miss tomorrow as well because I'm going to be pulling an all-nighter to finish a project.

Here's a Loomis study in the meantime. I think I'm going to try to work my way through this book. This was really tiring to do, 12 consecutive drawings is a lot for me, even though they're fairly small-scale. Looking at it now, there are all sorts of mistakes.

Doing this really made me aware of how bad I am at drawing circles. I liked drawing the last face though. It was fun seeing it all come together.

Attachment 1084921

Thanks
    Man, I've missed quite a few days lately. I'm still at it though. I actually did stuff yesterday too, but I was really tired, and it was really terrible, so I didn't bother posting it.

I had a lot of trouble with this study, and I'm not happy with it. I think I started loosening up more towards the end, but I need to practice a lot more. I guess that's what this is for, though!

Attachment 1087649

Thanks
    Good for you, I did that same exercise and had the same frustrations as you. The funny thing is, after you do the exercise, your knowledge of how to draw just improved significantly compared to just drawing without guidance. By you not being happy with the results can be a good thing because you are starting to see the ladder you must climb in order to improve (but take it easy on yourself too).

Pay close attention to what you are doing when you are doing these studies, b/c you learn better that way and the information sticks to our stubborn head. Maybe you're not, but I know I am. Keep it up. I notice the ears on the bottom right head are not in even plane, just my observation.
    Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strings View Post
    Good for you, I did that same exercise and had the same frustrations as you. The funny thing is, after you do the exercise, your knowledge of how to draw just improved significantly compared to just drawing without guidance. By you not being happy with the results can be a good thing because you are starting to see the ladder you must climb in order to improve (but take it easy on yourself too).

Pay close attention to what you are doing when you are doing these studies, b/c you learn better that way and the information sticks to our stubborn head. Maybe you're not, but I know I am. Keep it up. I notice the ears on the bottom right head are not in even plane, just my observation.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely trying to realize my mistakes with these studies, and I feel like I learn a little more each time I do them. And yeah, you're right about the ears, I'm not sure how I ended up drawing them so lopsided!

Only three Loomis heads today. I'm still not too happy with them, but I feel like I did better than yesterday, where I was sort of conforming everything to the shape of the initial sphere.

Attachment 1088106

Thanks
    I won't lie, I was pretty lazy during this study. I definitely rushed it.

Attachment 1089495

Thanks
    Loomis skulls.

There are some pretty complicated studies after this one. We'll see how I fare.

Attachment 1090364

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast