Thanks

Thumbs up One-Stop Concept Art reference site?

Just curious, but say, if I want to draw a fantasy sort of hat and I want to get ideas, do I go to Google and find images of hats from various cultures and time periods, and then draw my own based on those references?

I was thinking if there's some sort of "1-stop reference site" for concept artists etc, where there's a huge gallery of all sorts of exotic hats and you just use them for modifications / references etc.

Thanks!
    Xeon

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    lol. Somewhere out there, there's a World of Warcraft clothing editor program, where you can select any bodytype from the game and dress them in any of the armor/clothing offered. Then you can turn them around from all angles. It sounds like you should look that up. It was free.

Or, just do a google search. Maybe go to a clothing store and draw some hats there. Or go with a friend, have him/her try them on and take photos.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    My personal favorite reference stop is Flickr. I use it for pretty much everything from slime reference to fashion, to (what it's best at IMO) environment reference.

The library of congress even has a flickr page with some old black & white photos that date back to the early 1900's. By some, i mean 600 pages of galleries. Not six hundred photos, six hundred pages of galleries. Pretty epic. I just found this the other day :p
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/

http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=photosets

These two links are the ones I use the most, they have some cool costumes, poses and lighting reference

Otherwise I use this site http://www.darkroastedblend.com/ for general wierd and wonderful stuff around the world.

Otherwise I google but I'm trying to stay away as I get distracted by any cool links I find.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Just curious, but say, if I want to draw a fantasy sort of hat and I want to get ideas, do I go to Google and find images of hats from various cultures and time periods, and then draw my own based on those references?
    Considering that if you put anything on someone's head it automatically becomes a "hat," if I wanted to design a fantasy hat, the last thing I would look up is "hats." Look up ships, look up flowers, look up sea creatures, look up microphotography, look up machine parts...
    So no, there's no one-stop resource. Geez, kids today! Give then Google and it's still not enough!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/

http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=photosets

These two links are the ones I use the most, they have some cool costumes, poses and lighting reference
    Thanks a bunch for posting the links. But a NSFW tag in the future would be helpful. "Female Nude and Costume" with 300 thumbnails isn't exactly what I want to open up in the office.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    So no, there's no one-stop resource. Geez, kids today! Give then Google and it's still not enough!
    Holy shit yes. Googling is just too much effort. There's the *typing* and the *looking at stuff*. I can see some of you wheezing just thinking about it. Save yourself the energy -- pay me to look shit up for you and you can get back to wallowing in pudding or whatever it is your generation does in your spare time.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Complete National Geographic archive could also be useful for lazy people (and everybody else).

That's 121 years of stuff (1,400 issues, 200,000 photos, and 8,000 articles)

It's a 6-DVD-ROM ($80) set or 160 GB-HD External Hard Drive ($200 with 2009 update). Otherwise the 2009 annual update disk costs $15.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Holy shit yes. Googling is just too much effort. There's the *typing* and the *looking at stuff*. I can see some of you wheezing just thinking about it. Save yourself the energy -- pay me to look shit up for you and you can get back to wallowing in pudding or whatever it is your generation does in your spare time.
    tl;dr
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarylGilbertson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    I honestly had no idea those sites existed. They have some great reference stock, thank you kindly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    lol. Somewhere out there, there's a World of Warcraft clothing editor program, where you can select any bodytype from the game and dress them in any of the armor/clothing offered. Then you can turn them around from all angles. It sounds like you should look that up. It was free.

Or, just do a google search. Maybe go to a clothing store and draw some hats there. Or go with a friend, have him/her try them on and take photos.
    'WoW Model Viewer' is what you'd search. I have it myself
    However, its definetly very limited if you were trying to draw something realistic, since there isn't a ton of intricate detail in WoW's style.
    So maybe I wouldn't suggest it as a reference, but definitley have a look for ideas/inspiration.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the response, guys! Oh well, I was just thinking how great it would be if there's indeed a "1-stop site" for such stuff. Maybe someone somewhere here can start such a site as an online business venture, you could make more $$$ than selling your art or whatever! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Considering that if you put anything on someone's head it automatically becomes a "hat," if I wanted to design a fantasy hat, the last thing I would look up is "hats." Look up ships, look up flowers, look up sea creatures, look up microphotography, look up machine parts...
    Nah, my objective was to get some reference pics of hats so that I can study the structure and then come up with my own hat in any angle, any perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    I can see some of you wheezing just thinking about it. Save yourself the energy -- pay me to look shit up for you and you can get back to wallowing in pudding or whatever it is your generation does in your spare time.
    Pay you? I had rather use the money for copulation, and also for hiring models in-house for my drawing practice! LOL

Good day,
    Xeon