Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 664 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" study

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 17th of October.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Head: 3 views" Study, in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:
    A head, viewed from three sides! This may be from imagination or a study. With or without neck/shoulders. Expression and such do not have to be the same, but make sure the three views belong to the same head. I suspect few people have a bust or plaster cast at home, but there are there are several other options for reference:

- Put on a movie, pause to draw a character 3x. Or alternatively, screencaps from this place: http://www.leavemethewhite.com/index2.html
    - 3rd CT scan is a head you can rotate: http://www.posemaniacs.com/tools/handviewer/
    - Lots of different views from the same head in this book PDF.
    - I'm having trouble loading this one, but I know it has several views of the same pose: http://fineart.sk/index.php?s=24&cat=2
    - Make a head using clay. I've been wanting to do this for a long time.
    - more suggestions always welcome!

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #153

brambor
    krisCrash
    Karshia
    BlackDelphin
    Eiki
    Anthis

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some time ago, I collected mugshots. A few of them had 3 views of the same head.

I will be mostly away till Friday afternoon but after then I will do my best. For real...

(It's not important but I did a few gestures last week too. mostly dynamic ones, my weak point I added them later)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... maybe I'll take a picture of my husband or daughter from 3 angles. Would that work well I wonder? This seems like a very very tough optional study... for me at least. I'm excited! I hope I can finish it in time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No life drawing classes at school lately, so I had to take the open workshop. Thankfully life drawing should return again at the end of the month.
    Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study Spartan Camp #154 - 50 gestures + Optional "Head: 3 views" Study
    sorry if my posts are too big ;o
    this week at class we're just playing with materials and texture, and learning some photography later, not sure what that will entail specifically. It's one of those projects we have together with the advertising class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if Sparta relevant! But this is what we've been doing at school this week:
    click to browse large sizes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krisCrash: I'm no expert, but I like your gestures and your lines seem to be quite confident.

Here are mine, sorry for the crappy quality, but I've chosen wrong brush size and realized that I can't see a thing when I zoomed out. Some 30 sec - 2 min poses from gesture drawing tool, 30 sec animal poses and hands from life and refs.

And this week's extra assignment. Only 2 because I failed too much. Interesting activity though and I'll have to try it again.

My sketchbook Crits and advice highly encouraged!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my gestures. I barely finished them. It's been one of those weeks!

I *tried* to do some from life while people were moving. I need to work on this a lot more. 30s
    Name:  Gesture0018.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  86.5 KBName:  Gesture0019.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  75.2 KB

Next I did some from online pictures. 60s
    Name:  Gesture0020.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  81.2 KBName:  Gesture0021.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  86.6 KB
    Name:  Gesture0022.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  90.8 KBName:  Gesture0023.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  87.7 KB

Then I did some of my husband while he posed. 60s
    Name:  Gesture0024.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  92.6 KBName:  Gesture0025.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  88.7 KB

I tried the optional study and totally failed. I may have to try it again later. But it won't be done in time. Le sigh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 908 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    30-90 second from posemaniacs
    Name:  digi 001 klein.gif
Views: 323
Size:  272.5 KB
    last one's from head. I've got so much more to learn.
    Name:  digi 002 klein.gif
Views: 311
Size:  243.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    None from me, I'm afraid. I'll be in 100% this week!

krisCrash; It's interesting to see these after the ones from the course. They're a bit less 'strict'. For example the arms seem to get a bit lazy sometimes, haha. But I can clearly see the things learned in that previous course are still in there. Great to see some longer studies in between. Suddenly it all comes together. Some interesting textures and shapes in that second post.

brambor - these are getting better! Try and keep the organic feel, follow the fluent lines trough the body. The gesture drawing tool has a couple of tough ones though. Interestingly, some poses do work in photograhs but are very difficult to reproduce. I think those heads are actually really nice. You may have mixed up the placement in a few spots in the first one. I think it's great how you 'suggest' a lot of shape, without going overboard on those features, without unnecessary hard lines.

Karshia; all sorts of studies! From life is, from what I can gather, one of the best ways to learn this. Nice going on those. And you even got your own model. Try to draw what you see. For example, instead of drawing an orb where you know a head should be, draw the shapes. Instead of to drawing a figure in the same pose as the one of your reference, draw the shapes and forms of the figure that you can see. I hope that makes any sense. I do like them! great variety, tough ones among them as well.

a la bapsi - Nice posemaniacs. fun to see a lot of poses from crazy angles. Posemaniacs does that, and its great to see you don't avoid them . They're quite accurate, you need few lines to show the pose. Comparing the 30's with the 60's shows - i think - that you've lost just a little livelyness, while gaining more anatomical details and such. Nice heads. I like how you've handled those lines to show the 'direction' of the form.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Karshia; all sorts of studies! From life is, from what I can gather, one of the best ways to learn this. Nice going on those. And you even got your own model. Try to draw what you see. For example, instead of drawing an orb where you know a head should be, draw the shapes. Instead of to drawing a figure in the same pose as the one of your reference, draw the shapes and forms of the figure that you can see. I hope that makes any sense. I do like them! great variety, tough ones among them as well.
    That does make sense. And I think I will try it this next week. By the way, thank you for hosting these studies, Anthis. I really appreciate it. You're doing a great job.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Karshia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks for the support! I wish I were better myself so that I could provide more in-depth thought and critique. But I'm afraid I'm still a beginner. See you next week!

Members who have read this thread: 3