Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

3. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by unnamed.device View Post

Radioactive Swamp Gas, nothing more. Majestic Twel--er, "authorities" are on their way to your residence to secure the area. There is no need to be alarmed. Please proceed to co-operate with law enforcement when they arrive. This is for your own protection. From Alien anal probings and such. I repeat, there is no cause for alarm.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    At first, Buck's vid totally won me over. But now I'm not so sure. I mean, eye witness accounts by US citizens...that's -one- thing. But Mexicans and Brits? Whoa. That totally changes the entire argument!

That's some good thinking right there, Unnamed!

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is real

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay now I'm just showing off.

http://skepticwiki.org/index.php/Uni...tical_Analysis
    Many people claim that UFOs, because we aren't able to identify them, are something other than ordinary. Not being able to explain a UFO does not mean it is unexplainable - it may simply be that data that could provide an ordinary explanation is not available. A lot of UFO accounts are anecdotal and so are inherently compromised. Generally they turn out to be planes, stars, satellites, aurora borealis (Northern Lights), cloud formations, weather balloons.... This is why, despite spending an unusually large amount of time looking upwards, neither meteorologists nor astronomers often report seeing UFOs. They know a lot about the sky, and so can rapidly figure out what they're actually looking at, so they only see the aforementioned natural objects. Over the years many things have been mistaken for extra terrestrial craft, including streetlights, the planet Venus and even the moon.
    The above explanations fit in well with what has been called the 'psychosocial hypothesis' which largely addresses issues raised by skeptics; it states that there is not a single, all-encompassing explanation of the UFO phenomenon. It seeks to explain different cases in different ways, all centering in some way on the known foibles of human psychology and behavior, like wishful thinking, hallucinations, hoaxes and misidentification of mundane objects. Some UFO sightings are thought to be fantasies that are caused by the same mechanism as various occult, supernatural or religious experiences (like alleged sightings of the Blessed Virgin Mary).
    Folklorist Thomas E. Bullard has written that UFOs have constituted a widespread international cultural phenomenon of the last half-century or so:
    "UFOs have invaded modern consciousness in overwhelming force, and endless streams of books, magazine articles, tabloid covers, movies, TV shows, cartoons, advertisements, greeting cards, toys, T-shirts, even alien-head salt and pepper shakers, attest to the popularity of this phenomenon."[ref. needed]
    As with the paranormal in general, vested interests in particularly popular ideas, like the ET hypothesis, are significant. Psychoanalyst Carl Jung, who wrote a book about UFOs, observed:
    "In 1954 I gave an interview to the Swiss weekly Die Weltwoche, in which I expressed myself in a sceptical way... In 1958 this interview was suddenly discovered by the world press and the "news" spread like wildfire... I was quoted as a saucer-believer. I issued a statement to the United press and gave a true version of my opinion, but this time the wire went dead: nobody, as far as I know, took any notice of it, except one German newspaper." (Preface, Flying Saucers, 1959)
    He went on to conclude that there seemed to be a tendency all over the world to want UFOs to be 'real' and that this was "unconsciously helped along by the press."
    Though skeptics have been able to show that much pro-paranormal material is unreliable, misleading or inaccurate, its producers continue to market it in spite of such serious shortcomings. Skeptics have therefore claimed that the market is deliberately biased, leading to the creation and/or perpetuation of non-existent mystery - and a plethora of material that, though profitable, leaves the public poorly informed. Skeptical publications about UFO cases and the phenomenon itself are available but appear to be very much in the minority.
    Skeptic.com podcasts:

Roswell:
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/skepti..._5-27_2005.mp3
    Crop Circles:
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/skepti...06-12-2005.mp3

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/4319637
    http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es.../UFOs/SH22.htm
    http://www.debunker.com/ufo.html
    http://www.space.com/top10_alienenco...bunked-10.html
    http://maximilion.wordpress.com/2006...g-ufo-footage/

Finally. My dad works in the aviation industry. Not that it gives him some sort of credibility over what goes on in the sky, but he brought up a great point once about UFO's being aliens. Humans put lights on our aircraft for landing and taking off. It's for our benefit to see them. For other aircraft to see them. So why would aliens do that? If they're visiting in secrecy, there's no need for us to see them. There's nobody else flying through space so no need for lights there either. They're not landing on Earth. And surely their biology is quite different from ours, so I doubt their eyes would work the same as ours. Point is, things lit up in the night sky are probably not aliens.

In closing:

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    /ufodebate

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    This is real

I have the same lamp! My windows aren't as clean tho..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is no lamp! Look at the view.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mention UFO, slander and ruckus bullying will follow anyone, evidently.
    I am not claiming to post evidence or any public view on UFO.
    I find it interesting that all comments posted here have the same editorial attitude as the global mass media, and almost worth not to have posted at all, such as many networks have chosen.
    I wanted to post this video, that was the important thing. Obviously they both and all 3 videos have no context in truth or purpose other to humour our own metaphysical ideologies…
    Perhaps if you'd posted some text rather than just a video people would understand what you're trying to achieve. Having said that, I've read the above and still don't know.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe some of the reasons why most people can not take it seriously is that
    all the UFO photos and videos have this incredibly shitty quality.

Most of the UFO designs look like they came from the WW1 times rather than form some technologically advanced alien race.

Seriously, this days most mobile phones can shoot videos in a better quality than older TV show productions,
    it is getting harder to impress people by shaking grandpas camcorder at some traffic lights at night yelling oh god oh god WTF is this.

- - - - - - - - - -

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mention UFO, slander and ruckus bullying will follow anyone, evidently.
    I am not claiming to post evidence or any public view on UFO.
    I find it interesting that all comments posted here have the same editorial attitude as the global mass media, and almost worth not to have posted at all, such as many networks have chosen.
    I wanted to post this video, that was the important thing. Obviously they both and all 3 videos have no context in truth or purpose other to humour our own metaphysical ideologies…
    English doesn't seem to be your first language. You're misunderstanding what I posted and why. If I had insulted you it would have looked like this:

OH NO IT'S A CONSPIRACY haahah what a moron.
    What I did was post a video, some podcasts, and links of interest on the subject from a skeptical perspective. Insult you and drag your name through the mud, I did not.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    news networks have failed to do so.
    Gee, I wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed.device
    I never intended to further any other discussion over the film.
    Then why oh WHY post it on the internet, on a forum where both are specifically designed to facilitate communication and discussion?

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes that is very evil.

The governments control the media and withheld the truth from us.
    They lie to us and try to make real UFO sightings look fake.
    90% of all fake UFO sightings were created by the government to cover up the real deal in order to delude people into thinking that it all is a big lie.

Did you know that the Governments are the main investors in most Science fiction tv shows and movie productions? The shows contain fragments of real events and designs of alien technology, it is a very clever way to make most UFO reports sound hilarious and on long term a good way to prepare the general population for the first official contact with a alien race.

- - - - - - - - - -

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes that is very evil.

The governments control the media and withheld the truth from us.
    They lie to us and try to make real UFO sightings look fake.
    90% of all fake UFO sightings were created by the government to cover up the real deal in order to delude people into thinking that it all is a big lie.

Did you know that the Governments are the main investors in most Science fiction tv shows and movie productions? The shows contain fragments of real events and designs of alien technology, it is a very clever way to make most UFO reports sound hilarious and on long term a good way to prepare the general population for the first official contact with a alien race.
    It's much more evil than that. You see, all high-ranking government figures, royal families and indeed many powerful people are in fact sentient reptiles disguised as humans. You're right about than trivialization of the matter at hand, as the recent series "V" so clearly demonstrates. All it was really about was making alien lizards look preposterous - they even hired a tank of 7-legged Brazilian earthworms to write it, and a milk carton half-filled with broken twigs to direct. It's all geared to make ridicule of the TRUTH, which is that we're ruled by lizards so skinny they can climb into us. Which is why all politicians look so conspicuous: they're hiding someone else inside them.

The fact is that these lizards come from a much smaller planet where gravity comparable to that of Mars. Now they have great space ships, but have not yet invented power-steering. This often results in their frail arms breaking in-flight as they fight against earth's overpowering G-forces. In turn resulting in crashes, which promptly get covered up.

They do however have some mechanism to help them keep on their fairly heavy human suits and play golf (which is why they're really here - golf and trying to figure out power-steering).

Anycase, I need to pack my bags and find a new name.

Goodbye.

Brendan Noeth

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it interesting that you guys are so quick to dismiss/attack someones (assumed) beliefs on the subject of ET's, but you're so darn polite and respectful when it comes to religion. I guess it just boils down to social taboos.

Personally; I think unless our perception and understanding of the universe is fundamentally flawed, the probability of alien life is an almost inarguable fact (in that it is probable). However if the life-forms are intelligent and technologically advanced enough to accomplish interstellar travel, i think they could probably evade our perception. And i think they would. Kind of like a nature photographer.

Last edited by karma militia; October 12th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    I find it interesting that you guys are so quick to dismiss/attack someones (assumed) beliefs on the subject of ET's, but you're so darn polite and respectful when it comes to religion. I guess it just boils down to social taboos.

Personally; I think unless our perception and understanding of the universe is fundamentally flawed, the probability of alien life is an almost inarguable fact (in that it is probable). However if the life-forms are intelligent and technologically advanced enough to accomplish interstellar travel, i think they could probably evade our perception. And i think they would. Kind of like a nature photographer.
    You've misunderstood. I have no qualms with the idea of there being life in the universe outside of Earth. But that's not what these videos are about. The problem is that UFO =/= aliens. They are not analogous.

Skip to 1:14:50, the yt tags don't support linking to specific times. He talks about life on other planets.

And where have you been? When has there been a thread about religion where people didn't step in and say they thought it was silly? Even threads indirectly about religion have non-theists voicing their opinions.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theoretical physicist and string theorist Dr. Michio Kaku gives his unchildish opinion on UFOs

Watch and learn...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why didn't you just post with your real username?

"Do you UFO's exist?"

Yes. If I see a flying object that I can't identify, it would be a UFO. Nobody is saying UFOs don't exist.

"We understand can explain 95% of UFO sightings as natural phenomenon. But 5% is UNEXPLAINED."

Okay. And? Do those statistics take into account stories that remain unexplained because theres no evidence? You can't solve a crime if there's no evidence as to what happened.

"We're talking about generals, air force pilots, governors."

And? How does being those things qualify them to identify natural phenomenon in the sky? Are they qualified to identify objects in the sky outside of other aircraft?

"They claim these things are beyond our understanding of physics"

They're pilots, generals and governors. I doubt they are fully aware of the real limits of physics.

"We've looked at all the other alternatives."

Apparently you haven't if aliens is what you come up with.

"These are multiple sightings by multiple moes(?). Meaning Pilots, eyewitnesses, radar, visual sightings."

Pilots are eyewitnesses and visual sightings is the same thing as witnessing the UFOs. He's playing with words to make it seem like there's substantial evidence. And radar? Show us the recorded data form the radar devices. Not some guy going "We got it on radar." Besides, all sorts of stuff could show up on radar.

"The things that remain unexplained defy the laws of physics."

In what way? Oh, I got to buy your book.

"Does this confirm alien life. No, we would need physical evidence."

Oh now you're concerned with physical evidence. Probably because claiming you know alien life exists and is visiting Earth would discredit your opinions. But it's totally cool to assume that UFO's = aliens without anything more than testimony.

This guys no Tyson.

Last edited by s.ketch; October 12th, 2010 at 11:13 AM.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And just to lighten the mood.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoureWrongImRight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've misunderstood.
    I was just musing, trying to instigate some more interesting discussion and put a stop to the childish mockery. It was in no way inspired by your posts.

Cool video though, thanks.

BTW, I totally understand your gripe about UFO's being automatically associated with aliens. I feel the same way.

This guys no Tyson.
    Actually I'd say they are both on par. Neither of them are a Carl Sagan though

Last edited by karma militia; October 12th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to karma militia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we live in a digital age and evey shot taken from UFOs is in the lowest quality, damn the cameras are 30 years old, where are the cameras with 100 mpx when we need them xD

and Randis how can you prove that the image is real, that ufo can be made with just a lense flare and smudging in 2 min ? anyone can photoshop it

btw i didnt watch the videos cause my internet is killing me xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by YoureWrongImRight View Post
    Theoretical physicist and string theorist Dr. Michio Kaku gives his unchildish opinion on UFOs

Watch and learn...
    He basically sad that there is a bunch of retired people who very much would love to sell us a book
    for $17.15 a copy and that 95% of the crappy pictures and stories are easily to explain and the
    rest 5% of the stories are beyond logical explanation.
    He said that they have nothing, no DNA , no alien technology, no facts, no smoking gun.
    He said that this book is as close as you gonna get to the smoking gun and that means little to nothing.

@ BAN_KAI
    i thought the joke was obvious. i photoshopped the next best forest photo i could find with google.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ BAN_KAI
    i thought the joke was obvious. i photoshopped the next best forest photo i could find with google.[/QUOTE]

hah sorry, i knew something was fishy about it xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Watch and learn...
    I like Michio Kaku, I've read several of his books; however, why would you think that he has any better judgement on UFOs than anybody else? In the same way that a heart surgeon would not be an authority on the legitimacy or otherwise of ghosts, Michio Kaku's opinion on UFOs is not something to get excited about. To place any undue significance on it is a misguided appeal to authority.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Baron Impossible
    I don't know, maybe it's because he is a "physicist"
    And if travelling hundreds of light years is at all a conceivable of an idea or not.
    if it could be at all possible, then would it not make the idea of UFOs being of extraterrestrial origin less ridiculous?

I do admire the fact Michio Kaku can talk about UFOs without cracking wise, and that was the only point I was making.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Baron Impossible
    What has being a physicist got to do with UFOs?

And if travelling hundreds of light years is at all a conceivable of an idea or not.
    if it could be at all possible, then would it not make the idea of UFOs being of extraterrestrial origin less ridiculous?
    No, it would not. Even if you decide that UFOs are real in the sense of actual craft (assuming that for some reason you manage to conclude this) then 'outer space' should be at No. 98 in your list of possible origins, narrowly beating Narnia at 99 and Zeus's Ikea Garden Shed at 100.

I do admire the fact Michio Kaku can talk about UFOs without cracking wise, and that was the only point I was making.
    Indeed he can. Unfortunately, however, he should refrain from talking about them until he's done some proper research.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Baron Impossible

That doesn't make Kaku's position any less speculative. Speaking of speculation, I'm going to do some of my own. Given your username, and the fact that your first three posts were made in a UFO debate thread, we probably shouldn't expect to see any art from you on this art forum anytime soon?

Anyway, Tyson's responses to pseudo science are nothing but appropriate. They're responses to impassioned attitudes that are more excited about fantastical scenarios than deductive reasoning and measurable, observable data. The conclusion is reached (aliens exist and are visiting earth) with minimal evidence (there's something in the air and I don't know what it is). That conclusion is entirely driven by passion and a desire for something to be true regardless of evidence.

Tyson is a hardworking scientist who's simply tired of pseudo science being elevated above all of the actual amazing things we really have observed in our universe. The American education system desperately needs more people like him.

Last edited by N D Hill; October 12th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is no lamp! Look at the view.
    That sort of view is not unheard of in norway..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.