Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    OK for some reason my post did not show up so I am posting it again!

So here is the next update!
    Some sketches referenced from fashion magazines.
    A reptile from a photo. Was quite fun to do until I got completely crazy of its skin texture thing.
    And the last one is a self-portrait... Painted it from mirror. It does not look like me at all v_v And it looks like a slightly overweight guy o_0
    Next time I shall brush my hair when I make my self portrait. >_>
    Oh and I should find a solution for using the mirror. I drew this while having the mirror in my left hand. I could not alt+click away on my painting (which I tend to do often)! Well I could still, but not as easy as usual. xD

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Sushy.

Wow, you are really churning out the artwork. Studies are looking good, keep at it. I particularly like the underwater sea-life painting.

If I may offer a bit of advice: you might try adding some value studies (from life, or from the masters) in grayscale to your practice. A sophisticated understanding of values can help in creating images with impact.

Thanks
    You have a good sense of mass and volume. Have you ever tried making portraits in clay? You might be really good at sculpture. You might also want to try, just as an exercise, doing a pen or pencil drawing where you don't outline anything at all. Use black, white and grey to model all your forms, but don't draw any contours at all. Keep up the good work!
    Just another old dog learning new tricks.
    My sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=158092
    My website
    http://www.drawhaus.com
    My environment concepts thread in the entertainment design section
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=180968

artwork for "the guard", a webcomic that I am illustrating
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...94#post3025594

Thanks
    Ex Nihilo Hmm I never tried to do a values study, I really should do that ^^ It basically means painting an image in black and white right? Should the reference be in colour or in black and white as well?

rolandb Well I actually tried that (at school, years ago). I really hated clay to be honest... I worked 2D too much at that time ^^; So we had to make like a face sculpture and mine was just a flat face on a round head xD
    Removing contours would be something really nice to try. Thanks for the idea

So now today's updates! These are mostly from imagination. Though I used reference for the heads of the fennec girls. ^^; I love fennecs

The strange bird thingy was from drawing lesson. The theme of the lesson was abstraction and I chose to modify the birds's forms (in the reference there were two birds, I made a study of them earlier in this sketchbook). Now I threw all the forms in a strange order. It was something totally new for me to draw this. Now I finally understand the idea behind pictures like this: http://barcelonaaaaa.files.wordpress..._guernica2.jpg

The last two are a shirt I drew on. It is quite old already but I never took very good pictures of it v_v
    Next time I should do more studies! D=

Edit: ok I just realize the photos look terrible. Sorry about that... I suck at taking good photos

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushy View Post
    Should the reference be in colour or in black and white as well?
    --Could be either. If you're doing a value study from a master painting, it is helpful to change the image to grayscale and really study how the painting is composed: where the dark areas are, where the light areas are, where the most contrast is. Learning the importance of value is helpful in creating convincing form, as well as controlling composition. If you are working from life, it is helpful to simplify the values you see by squinting at your subject from time to time--blurring your vision so that you are more able to see patches of values and how they relate to each other. There are a few books on the subject. I found Richard Schmid's chapter on values in Alla Prima to be very useful.

I like that last bird image. It's interesting and kinda trippy....

Thanks
    you are improving good Sushy.
    And your crosshatching in post 64 is beautifull.
    good work and keep improving

Thanks
    Gah today was such a bad day. And even the drawing doesn't go well

I did try my first value study. I saw a black-and-white photo I liked so I decided to give it a try. I am not so pleased with the result... I guess I should practice this more.

Thanks
    This. http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1300297579

Awesome. I like your color studies, and I see you are doing the black/white studies too, that's good. I'd work with more life studies though. Even if you wanna keep the anime style, it will definitely help in the future.

Thanks
    Thanks, PLeon! Took much work to paint that and it is still not finished...
    Actually I do not really want to keep the anime style, I fall in it when I sketch from imagination... I want to get rid of it actually. But it is so hard to get rid of! D:

And now an update, it seems I am updating daily.
    I bought a wooden mannekin today so that I can practice drawing that. XD
    I started with making some sketches in my visual diary thing.

The other picture is just some regular crap from imagination in my other sketchbook.

Thanks
    pencils stuff today!
    Tried some life drawing (several things, even one of my plushies, that lizard) and a crappy self-portrait... I should put those headphones off when I make a self-portrait xD

And I did some more Loomis studies... The ones with "the box" really went wrong it seems I guess I should practice that more. D=

Thanks
    And more updates today! I am going for that daily update fashion again...

I did a new photostudy, a plane this time. I really want to be able to draw things like that. I desaturated the photo to make it black and white (and painted it in black and white too)

Last night I also did some sketches of my manniken and drew a random girl near it.

And the last one is a work in progress of my Fennec Girls picture. I am still working on it! School work + artwork = a shitload of work.

OK tonight it is drawing lesson time We will be working with east-indian ink I have heard. ^^

Thanks
    Yesterday I drew some flowers at drawing lesson. I used East-Indian ink and ecoline (if that is an english word...). I have never used ecoline before. ^^;

Thanks
    o0o good job on that aircraft! i love planes haha i jus looked it up and that thing is nuts.

those shirts rock too.

as for a crit, which dont think its crazy, jus want to help u out the eyes on some of ur sketches seem like u may be afraid to draw them? they just seem a bit small and too far apart. i hope this helps girl!
    Sketchbook

my subconscious does not stop begging my conscious to draw.
    hmm does that mean im a slave to my subconscious?
    at least it doesnt beg for crack. ha.

Thanks
    Thank you, mrd33ds ^^
    I plan on drawing more planes soon. I like them as well.

Just some Loomis stuff today... =/

Thanks
    Only a silly cyborg today...

Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25