Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Update...
    I feel kind of 'lost' with my work lately... I should just get back to work I think! GOGOGOGOGO *tries to motivate herself*

Here is a weird-looking self-portrait:
    スシ[PHASEo096] ___

Further I did some "drawing from life": People in the train, things outside the train window, the class room, more people in the train and finally... a page of my Visual Diary.
    Today features sketches from photos and gundam picture.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Keep drawing from life. You can do sketchbook only for hands, and if you're totally bored draw your own, i bet after finishing whole you will be awesome

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    KEEP AT IT, GIRL!!! GOGOGOGO!! YOU CAN DO IIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!

スシ[PHASEo096] ___

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saara_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hu-ha Yeah I definitately should draw more from life... It is hard to draw people in the train from life though XD I will try it again tomorrow since I have to go to school then.

Saara_ That gif just made my day! Thanks

Oh boy updates!
    I am sort of done with the homework today I think so I am here posting! ~
    My poor hamster got some serious damage to one of his paws so I was somewhat distracted though... So sad... He cannot use that paw anymore now ;_;
    He is now sleeping quietly as if nothing happened though... I am glad it can still sleep...

Anyway, the updates...
    First some experimental self-portraits:
    スシ[PHASEo096] ___

スシ[PHASEo096] ___

スシ[PHASEo096] ___

And then... new work!
    1. The guy is drawn from life.
    2. Loomis stuff
    3. More Loomis stuff.
    4. Coloured sketch, gift-art for someone
    5. Coloured doodle. A rather old one but finished it last night.

Till next time!
    I still have some things to scan...

Thanks
    It's always awkward on the bus/train when people catch you looking at them. Maybe try smiling at them, haha. Or maybe that will come off as creepy, who knows. Just don't wear rapist glasses (or grow a moustache) and it should be fine!

That ''fuck art let's kill'' picture made me lol. I know how you feel . I think watercolor suits you really well because that self-portrait looks fantastic. I love how the color has bled around the eye area especially. That 3D shape practice seems really good as well, I'm gonna have to try that myself.

So sorry to hear about your hamster, by the way . It's always so sad when there's not much you can do for them other than send mental love rays at them (it makes you feel better, trust me...) and hope they'll be alright. Especially when they're so small and fragile. I hope he'll be OK .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saara_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I usually try to not get caught... I nowadays pretend "that it is my homework for my imaginary art school" (since I am not in art school) so that "they should let me draw since I really really really have to else my imaginary art teacher from imaginary art school will punish me with an imaginary punishment"... OK it doesn't really work for me, but I still try to draw them sometimes. I also draw my classmates. They saw it today and they liked it. One guy really wanted to be drawn, sadly he was sitting near a corner from which I could not draw him well since I also have to pretend to be interested in the lessons in class.

Long reply this is. XD
    Oh and my hamster seems to be doing better now... He seems to be able to use that paw again.

And now the updates!
    First of all, a self-portrait where I look creepy. I am not that weird irl...
    スシ[PHASEo096] ___

And the drawings... People from the train and classmates and stuff from the classroom.
    And yeah I usually draw with ballpoint pens... Can't help it! D=
    I am frustrated that option is not there for "Media" and that I have to select "Other" all the time LOL

Oh there are some imaginary things between these sketches too... But I guess you saw that already.

Thanks
    Well, hello.

スシ[PHASEo096] ___

That was another self-portrait.

Now... More updates. Some drawings from life and Loomis studies. Meet Planes-man!

Thanks
    Daily update

Yesterday I took the news paper and did some drawings of the photos.
    It was nice (but hard) to draw cars again.

Oh and there is one picture with drawings from life.

And one page is from my Loomis studies collection.

Most of my sketches seem to be traditional nowadays...
    I work a lot in Photoshop too but it is focused on one painting at the moment xD

Thanks
    Hello.
    I just joined the "Just another drawing group" and write this as a personal challange.

I really hate manga.

Having that said I have some unpleasant things to say.
    I ll try to make my best not to hurt your feelings

First things first: I like your colour sense. Its clear to me you have an eye for light and how it affects everything you see. Its great you can see that and include that observations in your works.

Manga, in my opinion, is the thing that hurts your progress as an artist. Since it is just a copy off a copy off a copy of a copy of some artist, theres no telling what in these works is your realisation and thought and what is not. You have issues with proportions and character build that is distorted with manga design. Your eyes are always out of proportions and pretty much everything has a mark of a japanese cartoon.

What I do like about you is that you draw. You draw everything and you draw alot. And thats awesome because if there is anything that will push your progress to the next level - its drawing, drawing, drawing.
    Sometimes, even drawing without thought is good as well since you excercise your eye-hand cooperation.

In general. Do what you do here: draw.
    But in my opinion there will come a moment when you will have to choose between classic art and manga, because now one is inflicting with the other and you cant catch two birds at once.
    If you would choose to develop yourself as a traditional artist, and get good at it, nothing stands in the way to learn and explore manga later on, as a style you like.

Think about it. Good luck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    The above comment about manga is true because straight up manga or anime styled drawings is the devil to artists just starting. Thats how I started and up until mid highschool all I drew.

Then later when I actually tried to get away from it and draw more realistically, it did nothing but get in the way. But of course now I'm starting to drift away and ironically now I can't "truly" draw anime styled stuff even if I try I'll just keep thinking in my head "NO, a nose doesn't look like that, or NO Eyes aren't all that big" haha.

But anyways it seems your heading in the right direction in your more recent posts though so just keep doing what you are. Studies and drawing from life are good ways to go.

Edit: Oh yeah and you'll hear the manga thing a lot, and it will take time to flush it out of your system. But the less you draw of any pure anime styled stuff the better. I notice above you have a few purely animeish stuff. The less you do of them the less you'll rely on the tendencies I suppose.
    Last edited by JFierce; May 23rd, 2011 at 04:56 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think Lakeland told the right thing : You draw alot, and that's great, but starting using manga-deformation techniques, without mastering traditional academic techniques, may alter your ability to learn those academic techniques.

Anyway last post is a bunch of goodness, and I hope you will go on that way.
    Remember that someone who can draw what he see will always be able to draw manga later. But the invert is not that true. I myself started with manga ( Dragon Ball Z haha, good times )
    and I now struggle with the bad habits I took from it.

I mean, the good process is : learn to draw the reality -> play with it and deform it ( as does manga for exemple )
    starting with altered reality to go to reality is a lot harder and slower !

Anyway just like the others and I said, you are going in a very good way in your last posts, so, keep at it !
    My advice would definitely be to work that way before returning to manga ^^

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shad- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lakeland Yeah I saw you joining the group. Welcome!
    I know my drawings are influenced by manga indeed... I basically learnt drawing by watching cartoons and (later on) anime... Even a year of art academy didn't remove it from me. However, I am indeed now at this point where I start to think "I want to do more than manga" and that's why I study a lot now. Most of my studies are done with ballpoint pens from life.

JFierce Thanks yeah I definately will continue this path... xD
    Maybe I should throw away all my anime DVDs too xD

Shad- Thanks, sure will do..

Today's update only consists of studies...
    First ones are from my moleskine, which I nowadays use to draw hands in.

I drew a lot at school (some manga stuff too oh noes maybe I should punish myself everytime I draw it haha) during class and outside class while waiting for the teacher (which took long from 11:00 to 14:30 geez!).
    My classmates seem to like this realistic stuff too by the way. That kind of surprises me... I mean, it is not "fun" looking. It are just the things around them (and themselves as I draw my classmates a lot since I do not have real models).
    And every flaw and mistake becomes so clear right away... I mean, there is no way to erase a ballpoint pen xD
    Yet I like drawing with them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I haven't commented here in ages! Argh!

Your values have improved a lot and your self-portraits are looking better every day . Your hard work is definitely paying off! I'd do a motivation dance but it's hard to upload to the internet. SO instead:

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Saara_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yay Sushy ! Very good update ! Is this all your work of today ? You are motivating me alot cuz I feel lazy in front of this ! Thanks alot !

Also you are improving very quick and your classmates are looking nice in ballpoint still lifes

I would like to see a new self portrait to see how your improvement is going, I saw the one on your study group (which I will attempt soon :p ) and it was looking great !

Definitely coming to see all of your updates ! You're on the way to rock 'n roll ! : D

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shad- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great studies! Reminds me that I should do draw more from life when I am outside (school, street, train etc.)! You really should keep this pace up, awesome!

Do you follow an art education? If so, witch school? Do you learn a lot from it and liking it? I never been on an art school so I am a bit curious

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Saara_ Thanks Yeah I could use some motivation! It is a long, bumpy road with numerous obstacles...
    *MOTIVATION DANCE*

Shad- I am glad you like Well it was not all I did. I draw one hand a day in that moleskine so several days went over that. And sometimes I do not scan everything I do. And sometimes things are just too ugly to scan. XD
    Oh and I do not release my web comic (http://fantasypower.net) pages here. (I work a lot on them as well xD)
    And especially for you I made a self-portrait. =P It is in this update! It is blue!
    I actually study more when I go to my non-art related school... Since I can draw all those people there XD

mitchoo Thanks!
    I went to art school for one year (Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam) when I was 18/19... I studied Illustration.
    Did I like it?... Hm...
    Well I LOVED the life drawing classes. Totally my thing. I actually stayed longer at school for them you know.. One day the class was allowed to leave early and me and another student just stayed to draw...
    I absolutely HATED photography class and printing class (grafische technieken).
    I still hate photography by the way. No matter how awesome you people all make it, I just still hate it. I did not have a fancy Nikon or anything either.
    And it was so freaking subjective... Geez, that man really liked pictures with emotions (one guy took a picture of a crying child and got an A). I mean come on...
    I did manage to get through photography but the class about concepts was really hard for me. I actually think I maybe was too young at that time. Though I have no idea if I would be able to do it now.
    Anyway, I still have all my academy work. I cannot throw it away. I consider it as the most valuable year of my life. There happened a lot that year. (you know art school and all, it was for me a dream came true).
    My parents in the end did not like the idea me pursueing a career in art. When my results in art academy decreased (not for life drawing, but for grafische technieken, concept stuff and some other concept stuff) they were not really motivating me to continue (instead very demotivating really)...
    I quitted and went to a technical school instead. Now I am in my third year of Computer Engineering (Computer Science, programming). I hate it, but I will finish it for my parents... To get a degree they like.
    I do not feel like going back to art school. I left it for a reason though I sometimes find it hard that I took that decision. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I continued...
    Anyway, after getting that degree in Computer Science I will pursue my dream.
    And while getting this degree I will practice as much as I can.

It is kinda frustrating sometimes. When my classmates see me draw they of course say "You should go to art school"

And I am like "Well I already did. Duh."

Not that I even say that anymore, I have heard it so often...

Now that was a long reply...
    I am moving on to the updates now.
    I practiced some bit in the train today and during class.
    It was such a boring class. It was about usability.. Bleh.

And I added a little self-portrait for Shad- ^^

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not so much today, I only did the first drawings today from some news paper photos. The other ones are Loomis studies I should have posted three days ago but I found it too much scanning at that time.
    I should have someone who scans all this stuff for me. For free of course. LOL

The first drawing is done with a 3H pencil... I hate those. I prefer everything with B. Not H. xD

by the way, I do not understand page 88 of Loomis "Life drawing for all it is worth". That picture with all those lines. And measuring it all. If someone feels like explaining, please do so.
    The only line I understand is the plumb line. The rest of it... o_0
    Kinda strange, I have had many math lessons but those lines is just weird stuff to me. I am more the algebra kind I think.

Thanks
    lalalala nobody responds to this sketchbook yet still posting
    Maybe I update too often?
    Well I have to update often else I have so much to scan you know. It piles up! D=

First, my thingy for study group:
    スシ[PHASEo096] ___

A glorious fight with oil pastels.

Well I like to think it is glorious.
    It is orange, my sweater.

And now the other stuff.
    First one is a self-portrait when I was bored.

Then some ballpoint sketches from train and school.

Oh and, my classmates wanted me to draw Dragonball Z stuff. So that is why it is in it. I usually only draw Digimon/Pokemon stuff when I am not studying or trying to banish manga from my head.

And for those who wonder why I only draw guys: there are no girls in my class. I would love to draw them, but they are not there.

This was not everything from today but I am too tired to scan more v_v

Thanks
    Sketches/drawings I should have posted yesterday. xD

Last one was finished two days ago but I forgot to upload it here.

Thanks
    Sorry Sushy I felt a bit off last days so I didn't hang around that much on the forums :/
    Anyway it's great to see you updating so hard ! Youwork like a beast and it starts to pay off, I mostly think about your life sketches & crosshatching stuff which is great =)
    Just keep that way, you have a hell of a mental and I admire you for that !
    Also I read the whole of your comic, it feels a little like Digimon to me, but I sure enjoyed reading it, I'm waiting for next page ! ( How often doyou produce a page, average ? ) ( And I enjoyed the graphical part so much, still a bit off with volumes and all, but it's great to see a coloured comic likethat =) )

Anyway you know I'll see al the stuff you post from now, so just keep rocking =)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Shad- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @shad-: I am glad to see some people read my comic (and check my sketchbook) haha xD Well the comic is updated according to schedule, which I usually post at my deviantART and at the website itself (though now it is bumped off the page due to other updates).
    This is the schedule for the current period:
    FPT #45 - 21 May 2011
    FPT #46 - 4 June 2011
    FPT #47 - 11 June 2011
    FPT #48 - 18 June 2011
    Unfortunately I fail at producing one page a week since I also do studies, go to school, homework, free work and other stuff. This schedule thing works for me and the comic is updated almost every week.
    I try to work a little on a comic every day. ^^; It involves lots of drying so I cannot work on it a long time. Procedure for each (sketched) panel is:

ink - wait for the ink to dry - remove pencil lines - add background colours - final inking --- next panel

I am not surprised you recognize a bit of digimon in it since I really love Digimon and still is my favourite cartoon ever.
    yeah the technique for colouring the comic is... sort of experimental. It involves lots of fineliners LOL
    And it is one of the very few traditional web comics out there I think.
    So yeah, next comic will be at the fourth of june (and I am sure it will be on time since I already finished the page, it is just laying around waiting to be published). I work in advance to make sure I am never too late.

And now... updates! I found time to scan my old sketchbook again (which I am almost done scanning FINALLY UGH) and then I can start scanning my new sketchbook with the most recent stuff.

1. Planes studies I did this morning. My father had to fix my desk so I could not sit behind my computer. So what do I do then? I just draw my little model plane.

2. from my old sketchbook (some months old I think)
    3. from my old sketchbook
    4. Work in progress

Thanks
    Your ballpoint pen drawings look really good, I love how they somehow have a smoothness in them. Maybe it's because you've improved? I think maybe some gestures would be nice to do because your figures tend to look a little stiff. Stickmen are good for that, lol (okay, ribcage and pelvis might be good to have at least). It sounds stupid but just draw them in funny poses doing stupid things and it will be fun . I knooow you don't have time but doodle on the bus or something .
    Oh, and do you have a pencil drawing underneath your ballpoint pen drawings or do you just go for it?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Saara_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice sketch book! Your values are improving keep up the good work!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ranunkel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Saara_ Thanks! Hmm good idea, I will try that! Um... well it depends... All my study drawings (except the planes in one of the posts) were done with ballpoint right on paper (so no pencil lines/eraser involved!)
    For drawings from imagination I sometimes doodle with or without pencils.
    I am quite used at the idea of "this line cannot be erased when drawn" XD
    Sometimes it is frustrating that you cannot remove some lines though haha

ranunkel Thank you

Updates time!
    The scan stack is piling up again! D=

1. Last night I could not sleep so I drew my feet at 3:00 AM.
    2. from life today (with ballpoint pen ONLY)
    3. from life today... Drawn at school so I got another DragonBall Z-request (ballpoint pen ONLY).
    4. from life (ballpoint pen ONLY)
    5. Painting of my glass (from life...)
    6. first page of my new sketch book! (from imagination, with pencil and ballpoint pen)

Thanks
    Dailyyyy

First what I am working on for my little study group:
    スシ[PHASEo096] ___
    A soldier with a bazooka (reference used)

I draw a lot when I go to school. xD

The first five are from life today.
    Last three are from my sketch book...
    and that last sketch was one of my sketches done on the Dutch sketch meet
    Which was Friday... I must scan all my stuff still! D=

Edit: Also I was wondering...
    People of ConceptArt....
    A question for you...
    *dramatical noise*
    Should I start a daily self-portrait thread thing?
    It seems fun. :3
    Last edited by Sushy; May 31st, 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks
    You're doing so much and that's impressing, keep drawing girl! Your heads are getting better but don't forget about hands :p Also I see you're attached to balpoint pen, why don't try something other? For me inking is ultrafun : D

42. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @huha: inking inking... Well I still have a crowned pen. And a bunch of fineliners...
    Maybe time to buy some new ink!

lalala daily update...
    And asking the same question again: "Should I start a daily self-portrait thread?"
    (I basically hope the answer will be like YEAH SUSHY THAT WOULD BE SO COOL so I guess I just should start it...)

Updates JOY
    First one are some experimental hands studies... From life.
    And then some random pages of my sketchbook, some from life and some from imagination...

Thanks
    Daily dumpp

I promise, more Photoshop stuff will follow!
    But for now, lots of traditional drawings...

Thanks
    YEAH SUSHY THAT WOULD BE SO COOL
    And experiments are awesome, inspiring hands! Green one is the best. I think they made me to use markers more, thank You

46. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @hu-ha: WOOHOO GREAT. I definately will do a daily self-portrait thread. I will wait a week or something though. School is hectic lately >__>
    Yeah markers are cool! Barely use them but they are cool.

Sooooo updates...
    Can't wait for school to end! (worked very long on my homework today, it got me almost braindead)
    Then I finally have time to do some decent drawings...

Oh and this is done for the study group
    スシ[PHASEo096] ___

1. Random ballpoint sketches from photos.
    2. A photostudy! (got frustrated with the background... It was full of bricks!)
    3. some gestures at night (5:00 AM, couldnt sleep...)
    4. sketches from train
    5. Vannderpoel studies
    6. More from the train.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 39