Art: Need Help with figure drawing. (College)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Need Help with figure drawing. (College)

I'm currently talking a figure drawing class at my college. I really want to get better at it; Therefore, I came here searching for help on things I need to improve.

I know this is not a contest. However, I want my drawings to be at least seen in class.

There are a few talented artist my class who are fairly good at it. I'm honestly taking this class so I can get better with my digital art and sculpting in Zbrush.

This is why I think figure drawing will improve my cg art because it's the real thing, and real tools which I love.

I want to get my foundation correct first before I step any further. I want to be an all around artist.

Here are a couple of drawings I've done:

Need Help with figure drawing. (College)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments are much appreciated, lets help each other reach the next level.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be shy.

Last edited by bboyambrose; October 7th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well you are off to a pretty good start. If you really want to get to the next level it is simply a matter of learning anatomy and perfecting your observational skills. I would recommend buying an anatomy book or two (check out Bridgman and Peck) and copying the plates from them until you know it inside and out.

Other than that, just watch your proportions a little and focus on the main masses; don't get caught up in details for now. The fifth drawing shows signs of understanding the volume of the forms, and is a good beginning.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incremental improvement - good stuff. A word of advice from experience: loosen up your elbow. You've got a slight diagonal distortion going on that follows the direction of the way you lean when you draw.

Draw from your shoulder - swing your arm around and loosen your joints up before and while you draw! Drawing *really* big helps.

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my this really means a lot to me. Thank you so much. I am really taking what the two of you are saying. I will loosen up my elbow a bit and try and swing more. That really sound like good advice. thank you.

Hey Andrew I have this anatomy model from freedom of teach. It helps a lot. I also have "Anatomy for the Artist" By Sarah Simblet. Also, I have "AN ATLAS OF ANATOMY FOR ARTIST" by Fritz Schider. It's good actually.

However I never get into the books anymore I just use the model on my desk now.

Thanks again for the reply keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Also

Here's a side sketch I did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To get good at the figure, plan on doing thousands of drawings - or at least spending thousands of hours doing them, learning and studying. Some good recommendations for books above - I would suggest taking a look at the free Andrew Loomis downloads online ( google him) and forget that they drawings look a bit dated, look at how he constructs a head and a figure - using abstract shapes.. and flowing, rhythmical lines for his figures.. Loomis, Bridgman, Vanderpoel are good places to start.. Do some master copies of artists who are ahead of you to start to get a feel for what they are doing that you are not - right here on CA I might check out RaileyH and emgist and Aztecfireflower among many good ones.. good luck!

Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Sorry for the late reply guys it's midterms and I had a lot of studying to do. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Kevin I checked out your website, and man your really good. How can I get good at seeing things like that.

For example Line, Value, Proportion. I have a good sense of things; However, I want to take it to the next level.

I would like to know what you did to get on your level. That way I can figure out what I'm not doing. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New drawing

Here's a homework assignment. It's a self portrait: 2 hours in the mirror just staring at myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go here.

http://www.fredfixler.com/index.php/cave-22/

Study those PDF handouts at the top of the page. Really study and learn how those lines apply to the figure. I traced them for days and drew with them until they were ingrained in my head.

Go here.

http://deadoftheday.blogspot.com/201...etch-part.html

and here.

http://deadoftheday.blogspot.com/201...etch-part.html

Follow those instructions and repeat 5,000 times.

http://www.bfowler.com

Blog

Twitter

Available for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyambrose View Post
    Sorry for the late reply guys it's midterms and I had a lot of studying to do. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Kevin I checked out your website, and man your really good. How can I get good at seeing things like that.

For example Line, Value, Proportion. I have a good sense of things; However, I want to take it to the next level.

I would like to know what you did to get on your level. That way I can figure out what I'm not doing. Thanks.
    Hey! Thank you for taking a look and bfowler has posted some super useful links ( to Fred Fixler's work and Erik Gist's work as well). What did I do? I started drawing and studying ( with teachers as well as on my own) a lot - school full time at AAU in San Francisco in spring 2007. I mean, almost every day. At the moment, I am at school most days from 9am until after 9pm.. (in Brooklyn at the moment) so 12 hours at school for 5 days, weekends off to study and recuperate and look forward to Monday! I have been lucky - very - to study with folks like Henry Yan, Zhaoming Wu, Tae Park, Tomutsu Takeshima, Glen Orbik, Hope Railey, Tony Ryder, Rob Liberace and now, Camie DAvis - all excellent teachers and artists.. (and hoping at least some of what they know will find it's way into my feeble brain!)

I am still in many ways a beginner - especially with form and volume and that is what I am working on at the moment. Draw every day, do thousands of drawings, don't let despair get to you and find great teachers to accelerate your progress ( and do master copies to truly understand what artists who are ahead of you were doing, not just to make a drawing or painting). Basically: become an obsessive compulsive!

Best,

Kevin

Last edited by kevinwueste; October 16th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwueste View Post
    Basically: become an obsessive compulsive!
    ^word

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.