Thanks

Icon ARRRGH So frustrated with this oil painting

So I am doing this piece and it got off to a bit of a rough start. I won't make excuses, and its finally making some progress. I am a bit ashamed to even show it, but I want a greater impetus to improve it. I am looking to light a fire underneath myself.

Also remember it is very much a WIP so some parts that look undone with not enough rendering are in fact.... just that. The old man for instance, his jacket it mostly just a shape.

Attachment 1077615
    ARRRGH So frustrated with this oil painting

Other notes: The white on the shoulder is from me attempting to correct the shoulder, so when that dries I will go back over it. Also the right figure is supposed to be wearing a sweater. I am having trouble finding reference for male sweaters from the side.

I am pulling my hair out over this. It just looks so shitty.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would say work more into the facial structures of the figures at this point, if you're having trouble finding pictures online of sweaters ask one of your friends to model one for you, that way you can take photographs and pick the reference that best suits the posture. Also, you could have just wiped the excess white paint off with a bit of thinner soaked rag. You have a lot of work ahead of you but you can pull it off.

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. The white was supposed to be there still, so that I could have a lighter colour to correct over. Actually yesterday I did something to it that jumped the picture back up to knotch and I am feeling better motivated for it. Now I am on to the faces, so thanks for the suggestion and expect more on the way in that vein.

Thanks
    Alrighty so here is another update.

I must challenge myself. I always paint my skintones a nice warm orange etc. Last semester, during figure painting, almost all my pictures had the same skin tone. Whats hard for me is attempting to make skin that looks like skin in a bluish light. So here is the newest update with me trying to do that.