C.O.W. #190_Heterogenous Heads_Voting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which heads have your vote?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • retter

0 0%
  • porcupine

1 2.08%
  • Mandavar

0 0%
  • Edward B

11 22.92%
  • ARefridgerator

2 4.17%
  • Fractalbot

1 2.08%
  • lkjhgfdsa

11 22.92%
  • (lark

21 43.75%
  • Potbelly

1 2.08%
  • lancer_idenoure

0 0%

Thread: C.O.W. #190_Heterogenous Heads_Voting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #190_Heterogenous Heads_Voting

C.O.W. #190 Heterogenous Heads - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #190 VOTING

Topic: Heterogenous Heads

Deadline for the voting: Wednesday, October 20th 2010

Posting thread (closed):
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198283

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; October 14th, 2010 at 12:09 AM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: retter

Concept: The dual-headed desert dweller

Food isn't easy to come buy in the desert, so it's convenient for the dual-headed desert dweller that it evolved to grow a second head. Now this bi-headed creature can focus on sucking up nutrients and small insects up from the ground while also snapping at the dragonflies and small birds which dare to hover near the creature's second head.

Last edited by retter; October 12th, 2010 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Biburu

Imaxinar 4 is an almost barren planet and the little fauna it has are very low on nutrition. The Biburu that lives in these harsh environments have evolved a second head to watch for predators because they have to spend every waking hour eating just to stay alive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Mandavar

Concept: Cave Stalker

In its hard to live environment the Cave Stalker manages to survive is by using its 2 heads that work together to find its prey. One of the heads evolved in a way that allows to hear the sound waves that are created in the caves and the other head evolved its sense of smell to an incredible level. In total Darkness the Cave Stalker can catch any pray with ease.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Edward B

Concept: The Megashrimp
    A famous delicacy from the now terraformed mars, the Megashrimp can be found grazing on seaweeds and other land-plants close to their watery holes.
    The two heads allow the beast to feed on both land and under water enabling it to grow to tremendous sizes without ruining its habitat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Fridge

Concept: Twinhead bull-lobster

Found on a nearby 'earth' planet in the Milky Way galaxy, Twinhead bull-lobsters were the first species of predators ever observed outside of Earth. It can hit speeds of up to 45miles per hour with its strong supporting legs and stands just less than 12 feet. Their bottom head is built to gore and charge down enemies it has 4 nostrils, as the animal is blind, however with its nostrils, hearing and sensitive feet, it has no need for vision. The top head is suggested where the brain would be located as its hard reflective shell would keep the sun from putting intense head on it, while it is also up out of harm's way. The mouth is located on the top head, scientists discovered that the creature must pick off flesh, or lift a carcass with its bottom head in order for it to feed. They are solitary and have been known to fight for territory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heterogenous Heads

Artist:Fractalbot

Concept: Bicranial Piper

Called the Bicranial Piper, it lives on water-slicked rocks of the seashore, feeding on algae. Its lower head has small tentacles to help grip the slippery rocks, and to feed. Its other head is used to draw in air into the large pipe-like structure on its back. The sound created is used to attract a potential mate.

Last edited by Fractalbot; October 13th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: Chameleosal
    As many of the desert worlds inhabitants spend their lives living under rocks; the Chameleosal has developed a tongue that also contains a secondary brain, sensory array and a formidable mouth full of sharp teeth. This 'second head' allows the Chameleosal to feed on creatures that would otherwise be out of the reach of it's massive first head and mouth. Blarg

Last edited by lkjhgfdsa; October 13th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: passive/aggressive geminus

Name:  heads round final.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  277.4 KB

These moody guys live a very polarizing existence. The 2 separate heads can only be awake while the other sleeps, and have very different demeanor's.

The lower head is more of the deep thinker. Having a sense of self, and has the ability to plan, build, and problem solve. its diet is purely vegetarian, and it is very non-confrontational, avoiding most other living things.

The higher head is far more aggressive. And can be awoken in situations when the geminus' lower head gets frightened or senses danger. This is a great advantage to the geminus because the higher head is afraid of nothing. Hyper aggressive, and prone to uncontrollable violence. Being carnivorous, the high head seeks out confrontation, and hunts to satisfy its dietary needs.

While the aggressive head is in control, the passive head retreats into the chest body cavity and closes its slit like sphincter for protection. Once the aggressive head is satiated on the meat it has killed it tends to fall asleep and return control to the passive head. Commonly they can be seen in their passive state wandering around confused, wondering how they got in the middle of such extreme signs of violence, and surrounded by half eaten animal carcasses.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shadai the Twilight Drake

Artist:Potbelly
    Concept: "Shadai"
    This creature is named "Shadai", a creature that lives in both daytime and night, in times of need of great guardians, they will serve and protect.
    A very magical creature in essence and at the break of dawn it will fly up into the sky to celebrate the coming of dawn, when this happens, she will
    fly towards the Sun and then once silloetted the limbs will reverse themselves and she will prepare for the next dawn.
    At night she is as Dark as the night, and daytime able to blend very well into shadows.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Devilfruit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah woah woah!!! i just saw that the due date was a specific time...does that mean the finals thread is closed already!? nooooo!! i was almost done too!! ive been crazy busy this week and this is my first cow in a while, would it be ok if i posted tonight and still get my piece in the poll? really sorry! i promise after this ill get it in right on time!! :'(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lancer, I just opened to poll. If you get it up in the next 10 minutes I'll be lenient since it's the first round we're being this specific. From now on, though, we are being a lot stricter here on the deadlines.

EDIT: I've added your name to the poll. Please make note that I will not make a habit of this and the deadlines posted in the WIP thread should be followed as closely as possible.

Last edited by Si_Swe; October 14th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waaooh shit okay! not quite done but ill put a border on it and post! sorry again! thanks! exclamation!

edit: posting right now!

Last edited by lancer_idenoure; October 14th, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lancer_idenoure

Concept: The Swi_S(lark
    This hideous beast has been known to terrorize young children in dark alleyways. It has also been spotted managing certain weekly activities and during its free time enjoys liesurely designing creatures of its own.
    Name:  cow190_resize.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  179.8 KB
    sorry again for being late, wont happen again! hope you two guys like it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, I don't even know what time it is. Hi guys, nice to be here as a regular old civilian again. Worked up this little diddy but didn't realize that I'd already missed the deadline. LMFAO at myself.
    Anyway, (lark and Si Swe, you guys are doing a bang up job so far, and the entries this round are nothing short of amazing. My favorites include Edward's: Love that awkward walk; (lark: Dude, if you get any better, you're gonna have to start explaining why the new moderator has so many stars to his name; and of course one of my old buddies, lkjhgfdsa: One of the meanest entries I've seen from you yet my friend. Congrats on finally getting that star by the way.

So, I'm gonna post this anyway just for the hell of it, it is after all a work in progress, and I'll do my best to meet the strict deadlines from now on. Long live the COW! And our new mods as well.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck scorge! I'm not gonna get many stars if you're doing work like that. I hope you finish that up because its awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a fun round, heres some crits:

retter - Good creature with nice textures and colors, I think it would have been nice if the top of the lower heads neck (haha have to invent words for anatomy this time) would been same color as underside of the other, to tie them together better.

Mandavar - I like your style and colors, the diffrent sized spikes are a nice touch, perhaps you could have worked some more on its pose, its somewhat hard to read its general bodyshape and movement. Also try avoid black in the shadows.

Edward B
    - I love it! The colors and mood and personality is great, it makes me sad to think they eat it. Especially the eyes and faces are adorable! Easily gets my vote!

Arefrigerator - Really nice, good concept, creature, lines everything. Only thing that comes to mind is little more texture would made it even better.

Fractalbot - This too is really nice! With eyes on the lower head it became really great. Only thing I can think of to improve is make the further away legs look darker, more diffuse or something to really separate them from the rest of the creature.

lkjhgfdsa - Nice work! I especially like how you manage to separate the creature from the enviroment even tho its similar in color and its a nice scene with all the soldiers and action!

(lark - Oh poor thing the clever head. Great concept and image! Would have been fun if maybe to make the aggressive head even more aggressive but it works as it is now aswell.

Potbelly - I don't really see how those joints and limbs works but its a beautiful image and creature! I love the colors and its heads and eyes.

lancer_idenoure - Really nice! Love the use of so many different shapes and textures!

scorge - Thats so awesome! Really like that one, especially the upper one.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good work in here, nice one folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clark and Scorge with the best work, wish I could've voted for both.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, still no computer (borrowing from my roommate at the moment).
    I'll be doing my regular round of comments today or tomorrow (when I am supposed to get it back from the shop). I will say that I voted for Edward B's design because I loved the gauche-looking movement of it and the stellar palette, mixed with a unique design. (lark was my runner up, for a great take on the topic with great execution of the two. Scorge's design was fantastic and would have gotten my vote had it been on time, though. Again, I will be more extensive with my regular comments later today or tomorrow.

Okay. Here is my regular bout of comments:
    retter - What you succeeded at really will with this piece was creating a great skin texture. I can really get an impression of rhino or elephant hide. The weakness is in form definition, though, There needs to be a greater focus on creating highlights and shadows to define the creature's form.
    porcupine - You are definitely improving a lot since you joined this weekly competition (I think your first round was Revelations, right?), it's awesome to see. I really like this creature and I think it worked well with the concept. You managed to create a nice design that really fit with the lumpy texture you gave it. Watch out with colours, though, they tended to get muddy in this piece (and not just because they're brown already, heh). The purple you used in the shadows could be cooled down even more and it would work a lot better as a shadow, at the moment it has a bruise-like quality on the creature.
    Mandavar - There are some really cool things in your piece that are totally overshadowed by... well shadows. You seemed to go into this with the idea to make the lighting really dynamic, the problem is that you overdid that a bit. The shadows are too solid and take attention away from your creature. In some areas like where it connects with the tail it messes with the eye which might have interpretted the tail as not touching the ground at all. I would recommend looking into Baroque masterworks to really get an impression of how to do that kind of dynamic lighting really well. Caravaggio was particularly great at it.
    Edward_B - What can I say? You really impressed me this round. I've found a couple of your previous pieces not to focus on design as much as your gorgeous rendering style. I felt this one really transcended this. I can imagine it's awkward waddle so well and I feel like the design was really well though-out. On top of that you have your beautiful rendering coupled with a great complimentary palette. My only problem is that I feel the land-based head could have been more incorporated into the design, it feels like it could have had more of the oranges present in it so it felt less like a protrusion and more of an extension of the creature's torso; right on the forehead in particular is a transition that could have been vastly improved.
    ARefridgerator - I really liked your design and concept. I felt they were strong throughout the round. I like your soft brush application and overall feel. Tightening up many of the elements would vastly improve your piece, particularly less of a reliance on black for shadows and further definition on the feet. Keep it up and I really hope to see you in future rounds.
    FractalBot - This was a really unique design that felt one of the most believable of the lot. There is a great seamlessness to the design that shows strength in the design more than the rendering. The pipe on it's back give the creature a strange asymmetrical vibe though, which I felt detracted from the design. Keep it up though, this was really strong and I would love to see more of this level in the future!
    lkjhgfdsa - Strong, dynamic and so detailed is something that I feel could be a general description for your creatures. This one really encompasses this. Really intense scene and a great design (your description made me chuckle, too). Like I said in the wip thread, I feel that cooler shadows would really bring depth to the creature. I'd also like to see you tackle patterning more. In your assassin piece, the stripes were what I considered one of the strongest additions to the design. I think some kind of speckle pattern in the vein of rattle-snakes or tommy devils would not have gone awry with this design.
    (lark - And what a piece to start off us being moderators! I've gotta really step up my game just to try and keep up but I feel I'd end up stuggling, having a heart palpitation and saying "Nah, you go on ahead!" The only weak area for me is one that I feel has been present in your previous work too, the plumes and protrusions such as spikes I always feel look a little off in your pieces and it's something I would look into improving as much as you can. With your plumes there is a solidity and with your spikes there tends to be a wobbly-ness, if you can get those down you'll be sitting pretty (and getting stars like no tomorrow!).
    Potbelly - I like your concept and I think that the design is good. I do feel like it could have had a better impression of transition. Right now I feel more that the black dragon head is a tail. I don't get the impression of the double jointed aspect you mentioned. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't feel the transition from night to day guardian is as smooth as it could have been. Right now it feels like day dragon + night tail. I don't know exactly how you would remedy that short of showing a second frame with the night head being more dominant. Keep pushing yourself, though, I've been really impressed with your stuff so far and want to see more!
    lancer_idenoure - The name made me laugh. That was almost our intention with this as our first round, I was curious to see if anyone made reference to the two moderators thing in their description. It's funny, I can see some of (lark's style coming through in here and I'm curious to know if that was intentional. You have strong rendering going on, but it's more present on the upper half than the lower half, and the design is really interesting and a great example of making an asymmetrical design work.
    scorge - Man, if I could make a final piece that looked as good as your work in progress I would be a very proud man. Your work is a real inspiration for me, and this piece is no exception. In addition to a great creature, you have an amazing sense of world building in the environment you've created. Your piece would have gotten my vote as a near-certainty had it been in earlier. I can't say enough good about your stuff.

Last edited by Si_Swe; October 16th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.